Cutting off shirt tails

Old August 28th 03, 10:38 AM
Cub Driver

As a fly fisherman, I've seen many pics of gentlemen fishing the chalk
steams of Merrie old England wearing suists, complete with white
shirts, ties, and vests, not to mention bowlers.

And Ireland and Scotland.

At the prices one pays for the privilege of fishing those streams, you
could attend the opera, and one always dresses up a bit for the opera.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old August 29th 03, 11:40 AM
Cub Driver

I had dinner last night with a couple from Tierra del Fuego, the big
island to the south of Argentina (and part of it). They mentioned a
trout-fishing stream where an all-inclusive package ran $1,000 a day
(but not including airfare to Usushia!).

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old August 29th 03, 08:32 PM
Kevin Brooks

Cub Driver wrote in message . ..
I had dinner last night with a couple from Tierra del Fuego, the big
island to the south of Argentina (and part of it). They mentioned a
trout-fishing stream where an all-inclusive package ran $1,000 a day
(but not including airfare to Usushia!).

I had plans to go to Iceland after arctic char a couple of years
ago--but when told the daily fee for a section of stream was going to
run me $900 (that would allow up to four fishermen, or "rods", on that
section), I decided that Wyoming was a better destination for this
fly-fisherman-on-a-budget...

Brooks

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Old August 30th 03, 03:17 PM
Kevin Brooks

Andrew Chaplin wrote in message ...
Kevin Brooks wrote:

I had plans to go to Iceland after arctic char a couple of years
ago--but when told the daily fee for a section of stream was going to
run me $900 (that would allow up to four fishermen, or "rods", on that
section), I decided that Wyoming was a better destination for this
fly-fisherman-on-a-budget...

Go to the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador. The fish
taste terrific, the rates are competitive, and you can angle for
salmon, char, brookies, brown, just about anything that will rise to a
fly. Then, when you tire of that, you can go to sea (lay off the cod,
there aren't enough of 'em left). Also, you speak the language -- sort
of -- and the beers (Black Horse and Quidi Vidi) are superb.
http://www.gov.nf.ca/tourism/mainmen...ng/default.htm

I actually looked into that option as well, but it appears that, at
least in Newfoundland, if you are an "outsider" you *have* to obtain
guide services. That may be fine for some folks, but I always
preferred getting out by myself (half of the joy of the sport). The
fishing is by all accounts quite good in the areas you noted (and I
would LOVE to catch a brook that is a bit larger than the typical
native species we have in the southern Appalachians, where 7-9" is a
biggie, and 10" is a monster!). Maybe some day...

And when you tire of fish, have some caribou or seal flipper pie[1].

1. I cannot, in all truthfulness, vouch for the comestibility of
flipper pie, it was the one delicacy I was unable to get my hands on
during my recent tour.

The caribou might be OK (though I am one of those heretics who much
prefer eating a good, young fried rabbit [not to be confused with
European hare, which when I tried it was stronger than my one
experience with eating a bear roast] to any venison I have ever
encountered), but as to the flipper pie...I'd have to be *real*
hungry, I am afraid! But if you get down south, I can recommend the
fried alligator...

Brooks
Old August 30th 03, 03:29 PM
Kevin Brooks

(Sigvaldi Eggertsson) wrote in message . com...
(Kevin Brooks) wrote in message . com...
Cub Driver wrote in message . ..
I had dinner last night with a couple from Tierra del Fuego, the big
island to the south of Argentina (and part of it). They mentioned a
trout-fishing stream where an all-inclusive package ran $1,000 a day
(but not including airfare to Usushia!).

I had plans to go to Iceland after arctic char a couple of years
ago--but when told the daily fee for a section of stream was going to
run me $900 (that would allow up to four fishermen, or "rods", on that
section), I decided that Wyoming was a better destination for this
fly-fisherman-on-a-budget...

Brooks

In what river?!!
This is around the price of the most expensive salmon rivers in
Iceland.
Trout fishing is much less expensive, $ 100 - 200 pays for a river
with a hut or a summer house included, smaller lakes and streams cost
much less.

The Icelandic guide I corresponded with must have given me some bad
info; we exchanged a few e-mails, and I specifically asked him (after
picking my lower jaw up from the floor upon reading the $900 quote) if
that price was not directed at salmon, which I was not interested in
pursuing--he said it did not matter. Kind of nixed my plans to go to
Iceland, something I had been looking forward to for some time; I
remember running into a USN P-3 crew dog while fishing a stream in the
mountains of my home state many years ago, and talking fishing with
him for a while. He had pulled a couple of 179-day TDY rotations (this
was back during the bad ol' days of the Cold War) in Iceland, and
talked about catching char on his flyrod until, in his words, he
actually got *bored* with pulling them out of the water. Having been
raised eating its close relative, the brook trout (which IMO is much
more flavorful than any brown or rainbow trout), I always wanted to
try some fresh char (finally did so in a local seafodd restaurant--it
was IMO better eating than salmon), and especially was interested in
smoking some. But even at $200 a day I can find cheaper locatins,
either in Alaska or Canada, to go after the char. Euros who are used
to paying significant money to fish good streams might find Icelandic
fishing a good deal, but to an American who is used to fishing
thousands of miles of public or publicly accessable waters throughout
the US for free, the cost seems a bit high.

Brooks
Old August 30th 03, 04:34 PM
Andrew Chaplin

Kevin Brooks wrote:

The caribou might be OK (though I am one of those heretics who much
prefer eating a good, young fried rabbit [not to be confused with
European hare, which when I tried it was stronger than my one
experience with eating a bear roast] to any venison I have ever
encountered), but as to the flipper pie...I'd have to be *real*
hungry, I am afraid! But if you get down south, I can recommend the
fried alligator...

I've tried alligator and, while the recipe seemed reasonably tasty, I
thought it could be improved by using pork. Alligator is something I
would opt for if the only other choice were something like iguana.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old August 31st 03, 12:11 AM
cheyenne

"Andrew Chaplin" wrote in message

Alligator is something I
would opt for if the only other choice were

something like iguana.

In the former Armed Forces Panama Jungle Survival School, we generally
"feasted" on iguana and palm hearts. When it's all you have available, it
goes down quite easily.

Old August 31st 03, 12:17 AM
Andrew Chaplin

cheyenne wrote:

"Andrew Chaplin" wrote in message

Alligator is something I
would opt for if the only other choice were

something like iguana.

In the former Armed Forces Panama Jungle Survival School, we generally
"feasted" on iguana and palm hearts. When it's all you have available, it
goes down quite easily.

Fortunately for people attending our survival school, one usually gets
to have that rabbit Brooks is talking about. Vitamin C is going to be
a bit of a challenge, unless you don't mind pine needle tea. Again,
_ce sont les devoirs de la situation_, or, you get by on what you've
got.
Old August 31st 03, 08:08 PM
M. J. Powell

In message , vincent p.
norris writes
Ed, I suspect he was talking about the military.

No, it was at a civilian flying club in Southend, UK.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. But that arouses my curiosity. Did you usually show up
for a flying lesson wearing a tie? Did most students? How long ago
was that?

But of course! I worked for Marconi's at the time!

As a fly fisherman, I've seen many pics of gentlemen fishing the chalk
steams of Merrie old England wearing suists, complete with white
shirts, ties, and vests, not to mention bowlers.

'Suit' to me implies a dark, office-style arrangement, in which case
I've never seen those. But a patterned or check-style, yes. No bowlers,
though. Flat caps, usually.

How did you know they were wearing vests?

Did that custom carry over into aviation?

Not to my knowledge. But I have a vague memory of a civilian MoD test
pilot at Boscombe Down who wore a bowler off duty. A somewhat portly
man.

Mike
--
M.J.Powell

Cutting Lexan? Scott Home Built 15 February 19th 04 12:51 AM
best cutting fluid/oil/paste 2004..... theory and practice? B2431 Home Built 1 January 20th 04 06:27 PM
Cutting sheet steel Ernest Christley Home Built 28 November 28th 03 06:58 PM
blue foam & cutting it Richard Riley Home Built 6 November 24th 03 01:53 PM