Which of these is cheating?

Old October 8th 06, 06:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.students
Mxsmanic

Default Which of these is cheating?

Lately I have modified my flying methods in the sim in ways that seem
to produce better results, but I don't know if I'm learning to do
things correctly or simply acquiring bad habits. I want to make sure
that I don't "cheat" too much when flying.

For example, lately I've had a tendency to adjust climb or descent
rates (and altitude to a lesser extent) by making thrust adjustments,
rather than changes in pitch. I seem to recall someone telling me
that this was legitimate, but now I can't find the reference.

Anyway, on approach in particular, I've been using the throttle to
adjust descent rate rather than pitch, the reasoning being that
changing pitch just shifts inertia to a different place, from which it
will return at some point, nullifying the effect of the change in
pitch. For example, if I just point the nose down to descend towards
the airport, airspeed increases, and as soon as I ease off the yoke
I'm climbing again. If I try to climb with pitch, my airspeed drops,
and so I end up descending again shortly thereafter.

So I figure that if I reduce thrust, I reduce lift and inertia, so any
loss of altitude will be durable (unless I increase thrust again). If
I increase thrust, I add lift and inertia, and I climb. Is this the
way I'm supposed to be doing it?

In a related vein, I was wondering how legitimate it is to lower flaps
just for the sake of increasing drag, at low speeds? Lately I've had
a tendency to lower flaps not so much to increase lift on approach,
but just to slow the aircraft down and absorb inertia (which in turn
increases my descent rate). I use flaps much later in the small Baron
than I would in a 737. Once I lower them, I maintain altitude with
increased throttle. I get the feeling that I'm in a more stable
configuration with full flaps and a higher throttle setting than I
would be with no flaps at a lower setting, although I'm not sure what
is giving me this impression.

I have tried to roll to fix runway alignment rather than just using
rudder. However, I still use the rudder when very close to the
runway. For example, if I'm slightly misaligned at 50-100 feet, I
will use some rudder and hold it in order to stay aligned as I touch
down. At higher altitudes, I try to roll into position instead.

I sometimes increase throttle in the last 100 feet or so above the
runway to make sure I don't get too close to a stall. I don't always
land with throttles idle, unless I'm only a few feet above touchdown
and there is no wind (which seems to be rare, if I'm using real-world
weather).

I have consistent problems getting properly aligned for landings
(although in some cases I'm simply too close when I turn to final, I
think). I also tend to be much too high when I come in. I have a lot
of trouble with patterns, turning to final, when I often discover that
I'm parallel to the runway but a quarter-mile off to the left or
right.

For some reason, it always seems that I start to drift out of
alignment in the last 100 feet above the runway. I don't know if this
is from surface-level winds or what. And, unfortunately, controllers
in the sim don't announce surface winds on take-off, even though I've
heard them do this in real life ("wind two seven zero at niner"), so I
have a hard time knowing the wind unless I check the sim or happen to
spy a windsock somewhere.

So, what mistakes am I making?

Old October 8th 06, 06:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.students
Christopher Brian Colohan

I think this book will answer all of your questions and more....

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/a...lane_handbook/

It is to the point, easy to read, and best of all -- free.

If you want a printed version you can get it from any airport flight
supplies shop in the US for $15 or so.

Chris

Mxsmanic writes:

Lately I have modified my flying methods in the sim in ways that seem
to produce better results, but I don't know if I'm learning to do
things correctly or simply acquiring bad habits. I want to make sure
that I don't "cheat" too much when flying.

[snip...]
Old October 8th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.students
Mxsmanic

Christopher Brian Colohan writes:

I think this book will answer all of your questions and more....

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/a...lane_handbook/

It is to the point, easy to read, and best of all -- free.

Looks like a different one from the one I downloaded before. I'll
download it and take a look. Thanks.

Old October 8th 06, 07:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.students
John Gaquin

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

For example, lately I've had a tendency to adjust climb or descent
rates (and altitude to a lesser extent) by making thrust adjustments,
rather than changes in pitch. I seem to recall someone telling me
that this was legitimate, but now I can't find the reference.

In general, you're on the right track. Power is altitude; pitch is
airspeed.

Old October 8th 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.students
Mxsmanic

John Gaquin writes:

In general, you're on the right track. Power is altitude; pitch is
airspeed.

OK, thanks. So this is true in all configurations, or only during
certain phases of flight like an approach?

If I'm cruising, is it better to adjust throttles to maintain
altitude, or to set trim, or both, or what? The aircraft seems to
have a natural tendency to climb above a certain thrust setting, and a
natural tendency to descend below that setting (at exactly the right
setting, it will stay level). With full throttle, I have to trim by
2+ degrees to stay at the same altitude. If I use throttle to control
altitude, I can keep neutral trim, but sometimes I end up moving a lot
more slowly than the aircraft is capable of.

Which technique is the way that most real pilots actually use? It's
nice to get somewhere faster, but setting so much downward trim makes
me uneasy for some reason.

Is it ever appropriate to add power in a long turn in order to
maintain altitude?

Old October 8th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.students
John Gaquin

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

OK, thanks. So this is true in all configurations, or only during
certain phases of flight like an approach?

Very few things are true in all configurations. Every time you want to
change an aircraft's configuration, you are adjusting a fine balance between
pitch and power. Usually, what you're seeking is stability. In general, a
more lasting, stable outcome will be achieved if you think of altitude
change in terms of power, and airspeed change in terms of pitch.

If I'm cruising, is it better to adjust throttles to maintain
altitude, or to set trim, or both, or what?

When setting up in cruise, do not drive the plane like most people drive a
car. You should start with a preplanned setting in mind: "I am going to
cruise at 2200 rpm and 21 inches". After you attain your altitude and
reduce to this power setting, you would then gradually trim the airplane so
it is flying level at that setting. Your speed will be what it is, plus or
minus a few knots indicated.

Old October 8th 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.students
Mxsmanic

John Gaquin writes:

When setting up in cruise, do not drive the plane like most people drive a
car. You should start with a preplanned setting in mind: "I am going to
cruise at 2200 rpm and 21 inches". After you attain your altitude and
reduce to this power setting, you would then gradually trim the airplane so
it is flying level at that setting. Your speed will be what it is, plus or
minus a few knots indicated.

Is maintaining a specific altitude important under VFR, or is it okay
to drift over a broad range? I admit that I don't necessarily see a
compelling reason to fly at 6000 rather than 4000 (or vice versa) in
most cases, or anywhere in between.

Old October 8th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Doug[_1_]

VFR Denver Jeffco (KBJC) to Greeley (KGXY). What altitude is best?
Distance is not far (25 miles or so), so no need to climb very high (to
catch tailwinds). Over moderately populated area of 5000', so need ot
be AT LEAST 6000' high. Denver Class B is at 10,000' and 8000' above,
so want to stay below those, Ft Love (KFNL) approaches, which are in
practice and along the route are usually flown at 7000-7500', so avoid
those. It is determined best altitude is 6500' (might as well obide by
the hemisphere rule at least so far as flying the 500's even though I
am less than 3000' AGL and dont legally need to).

And that is without any clouds to consider.

Old October 8th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.students
Steve Foley[_2_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

I admit that I don't necessarily see a
compelling reason to fly at 6000 rather than 4000 (or vice versa) in
most cases, or anywhere in between.

Neither of these are legal VFR cruise altitudes where I fly.

Old October 8th 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.students
John Gaquin

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

Is maintaining a specific altitude important under VFR, or is it okay
to drift over a broad range? I admit that I don't necessarily see a
compelling reason to fly at 6000 rather than 4000 (or vice versa) in
most cases, or anywhere in between.

Cruising altitudes are assigned or recommended, appropriate to
circumstances. The pilot must be able to put, and keep, his aircraft where
it is supposed to be, within specifically defined parameters. If your
desired cruising altitude is 5500 feet, you should not be fluctuating
between 5200 and 5800. With some experience and proper attention to your
craft, you ought to be able to keep it within 25 feet or so. FAA minimum
standards are somewhat broader.

Cheating the ILS [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 6 September 3rd 06 04:22 PM
Cheating the Reaper! JJS Piloting 7 July 19th 06 03:34 PM
Blair Manipulated Intelligence to Justify War, says BBC film [email protected] Naval Aviation 4 March 22nd 05 06:45 PM
Date of effect now 1 April 2004 for revised IGC-approval for certain legacy types of GNSS flight recorder Ian Strachan Soaring 56 December 2nd 03 08:08 AM