Filament wound airfoils. (again)

Old June 5th 11, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Filament wound airfoils. (again)

Howdy,

I was channel surfing the other day, and caught a glimpse of how they
make rotor blades for the Hind MI-8 helicopter on RT. (Russian News)
Very Interesting. They use small sections of metal (aluminum?)
honeycomb cut to the shape of the airfoil, align it them with the spar
on the leading and trailing edges, and then filament wind the whole
lot together, preesumably with carbon fiber.

I imagine a simmilar technique might be servicable for experimental
aircraft. paper fiber honeycomb is used as packing material and can
probably be had quite cheap. I was thinking, cut it to form, attach it
to the spar, drown the whole lot in epoxy. Then after it cures
filament wind it to make the skin.

Just a thought.

Old June 5th 11, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Steve Hix[_2_]

In article ,
" wrote:

Howdy,

I was channel surfing the other day, and caught a glimpse of how they
make rotor blades for the Hind MI-8 helicopter on RT. (Russian News)

Nit: The Hind is Mi-24. The Mi-8 (9/17) is "Hip".

(NATO reporting names begin with "H" for helicopters, "F" for fighters, "C" for
cargo aircraft, etc.)
Old June 6th 11, 10:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Atheist Chaplain[_2_]

wrote in message
Howdy,

I was channel surfing the other day, and caught a glimpse of how they
make rotor blades for the Hind MI-8 helicopter on RT. (Russian News)
Very Interesting. They use small sections of metal (aluminum?)
honeycomb cut to the shape of the airfoil, align it them with the spar
on the leading and trailing edges, and then filament wind the whole
lot together, preesumably with carbon fiber.

I imagine a simmilar technique might be servicable for experimental
aircraft. paper fiber honeycomb is used as packing material and can
probably be had quite cheap. I was thinking, cut it to form, attach it
to the spar, drown the whole lot in epoxy. Then after it cures
filament wind it to make the skin.

Just a thought.

why use paper honeycomb, a foam form would be easier to shape accurately and
just as light, though filament winding would require a degree of accuracy
that most homebuilders could not afford.

--
[This comment is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Church of
Scientology International]

Old June 10th 11, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Atheist Chaplain[_2_]

"Paul Saccani" wrote in message
On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 19:24:46 +1000, "Atheist Chaplain"
wrote:

why use paper honeycomb, a foam form would be easier to shape accurately
and
just as light, though filament winding would require a degree of accuracy
that most homebuilders could not afford.

Indeed.

Getting the building bug?
--
Cheers,
Paul Saccani

Had it for a while Paul :-)
Just need to clear some space out in the garage for a start, I have been
reading and researching this for a while now and have even put a dent in the
list of tools required (though we all know that Murphy was an optimist ) The
biggest hurdle I have is the sub 0 temps we get here in winter so laying
down the skins and curing is only a summer prospect here :-).
KR forums are a wealth of information and most times Google is your friend.

Old June 10th 11, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jeff R.

wrote:

why use paper honeycomb, a foam form would be easier to shape accurately
and
just as light, though filament winding would require a degree of accuracy
that most homebuilders could not afford.

Indeed.

Getting the building bug?
--
Cheers,
Paul Saccani
Perth, Western Australia.

Had it for a while Paul :-)
Just need to clear some space out in the garage for a start, I have been
reading and researching this for a while now and have even put a dent in
the list of tools required (though we all know that Murphy was an
optimist ) The biggest hurdle I have is the sub 0 temps we get here in
winter so laying down the skins and curing is only a summer prospect here
:-).

One could always consider the possibility of alloy and rivets.
Works for me.

--
Jeff R.

Old June 15th 11, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Atheist Chaplain[_2_]

"Paul Saccani" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 23:15:24 +1000, "Atheist Chaplain"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

why use paper honeycomb, a foam form would be easier to shape accurately
and
just as light, though filament winding would require a degree of
accuracy
that most homebuilders could not afford.

Indeed.

I did the sums, and it seems that paper honey comb would come out a
good deal lighter. That might be OK for fixed wing, but no good for
rotary, the original application.

interesting, but accuracy in the forms would be my greatest worry,
especially for a lifting surface,
how would they compare ??

Funnily enough, one of my old students was an engineer on that rotor
fabrication at PZL.

Getting the building bug?

Had it for a while Paul :-)

Excellent.

Just need to clear some space out in the garage for a start, I have been
reading and researching this for a while now and have even put a dent in
the
list of tools required (though we all know that Murphy was an optimist )
The
biggest hurdle I have is the sub 0 temps we get here in winter so laying
down the skins and curing is only a summer prospect here :-).
KR forums are a wealth of information and most times Google is your
friend.

Stinky stuff. I prefer metal myself. It's so easy to have subtle
flaws concealed in that resin based stuff.

considered metal and rivets but early on I came to the conclusion that I can
put a dent in armour plate so working with thinner materials is a dodgy
prospect :-)

I suppose you are thinking of one of those foam cored canards?

KR2 with foam core wings seems to be a good prospect and having learnt
laying down of glass and resin at high school I do have some experience with
it :-)

VH or RAA?

still RAA, not enough disposable income to cross over to VH just yet :-) If
ever, I don't see a need just yet for carrying any more than one passenger
ATM and RAA registered AC that are for sale are still thick on the ground at
reasonable prices if I decide to buy.
My old flying school offers a Jab 160 wet for $140 ph

--
Cheers,
Paul Saccani

Old June 22nd 11, 12:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Cees Binkhorst

On 06/22/2011 12:26 PM, Paul Saccani wrote:

VH or RAA?

still RAA, not enough disposable income to cross over to VH just yet :-) If
ever, I don't see a need just yet for carrying any more than one passenger
ATM and RAA registered AC that are for sale are still thick on the ground at
reasonable prices if I decide to buy.

This is where we have it over the yankees. They have speed
restrictions on LSA, no retractable, fixed pitch airscrews - we've got
much more freedom than they have in this regard.

From what I have read lately, one can get a licence to fly a normal
automobile, without any changes, as an experimental aeroplane in Australia.

Most likely with strict area restrictions

Regards / Cees

PS. Who will be the first te use UTS's graphene paper in an experimental
plane?
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-04-...ger-steel.html

Motor wound up. stol Home Built 3 September 23rd 10 01:38 AM
Walter Reed's Wound Warriors visit gliderport Frank Whiteley Soaring 0 July 11th 10 06:48 PM
Airfoils [email protected] Home Built 4 September 30th 06 09:14 AM
Re Eppler airfoils Ronald E Baker Soaring 2 November 4th 03 11:28 AM
Eppler airfoils Dave Kuchenbecker Soaring 1 October 23rd 03 03:14 PM