C172 Flaps up or 10 degrees for takeoff

Old August 12th 05, 12:07 AM
Ronald Gardner

All of these post are correct, 10% for short or soft filed departure, but on
a hard surface of 2500' or more 0% works better. Air speed will climb much
faster after lift off. I fly 172 all the time and generally follow this rule
with no problems.

Michelle P wrote:

An interesting dilemma.
The manual for the 172 N tells you that 0-10 degrees is acceptable for
takeoff. However it does not tell you what affect it has at low altitude
300 feet MSL Density altitude around 2500 MSL. It only states that it
will have a detrimental affect at high altitude on a hot day. It also
does not give an airspeed for Vy flaps 10 degrees.

In talking to another pilot who has an 172 L has states that his manual
says if 10 degrees flaps are used it will decrease ground roll and
decrease climb rate. Having an overall detrimental affect.

The only definitive number the 172N manual states for flaps 10 degrees
is Vx.

First hand experience seems to confirm what the 172 L manual says.

What do you all think?
Michelle

Old August 12th 05, 08:41 AM
Greg Farris

There is another reason to use 10° flaps - training.
Many students are not learning to fly a 172, but using a 172 to learn to fly
airplanes. If you are anticipating transitioning up ASAP (as in career
oriented students) it's good to get into the habit, because your next
airplane may require flaps on takeoff, and the one after that certainly will.

I've noticed that airline pilots who also instruct in small airplanes tend to
insist on flaps on takeoff, as a matter of good habit forming. Some also call
positive rate and gear up as anticipated training.

G faris

Old August 12th 05, 10:00 AM
Thomas Borchert

How long is the runway and what does the approach/departure zones look like?

It's long and at least one departure is clear. Doing it in a 172 still
requires a lot of consideration.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 12th 05, 11:05 AM
Thomas Borchert

Greg,

it's good to get into the habit, because your next
airplane may require flaps on takeoff, and the one after that certainly will.

If a pilot cannot (or will not) adapt to the specifics of the aircraft he/she
is currently flying, he/she has no business in any aircraft. There are so many
things different between aircraft that the idea behind that kind of habit
forming is more a danger than a benefit. Just my two cents.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 12th 05, 01:44 PM
Dave Stadt

"Greg Farris" wrote in message
There is another reason to use 10° flaps - training.
Many students are not learning to fly a 172, but using a 172 to learn to

fly
airplanes. If you are anticipating transitioning up ASAP (as in career
oriented students) it's good to get into the habit, because your next
airplane may require flaps on takeoff, and the one after that certainly

will.

I've noticed that airline pilots who also instruct in small airplanes tend

insist on flaps on takeoff, as a matter of good habit forming. Some also

call
positive rate and gear up as anticipated training.

G faris

Then again one could transition up to a real airplane which of course would
have no flaps. Nor would the one after that or the one after that.

Old August 12th 05, 02:25 PM
john smith

Greg Farris wrote:
There is another reason to use 10° flaps - training.
Many students are not learning to fly a 172, but using a 172 to learn to fly
airplanes. If you are anticipating transitioning up ASAP (as in career
oriented students) it's good to get into the habit, because your next
airplane may require flaps on takeoff, and the one after that certainly will.

Cherokee Six calls for minimum 10-degrees flaps for all takeoffs.
If you try a no-flaps takeoff, your takeoff roll is significantly longer.
Old August 12th 05, 05:37 PM

Blueskies wrote:

wrote in message ...

http://www.coloradopilots.org/

Yes, we fly a normally aspirated C172 ("N" model) into Leadville,
Colorado at 9,927 MSL. Pattern altitude is 11,000 MSL. FUN!

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocation!" Eberhard

How long is the runway and what does the approach/departure zones look like?

See: http://www.leadvilleairport.com/page...port_info.html

Runway 16/34, 6400 feet long, 75 feet wide.

After departure, "turn down-water", into the valley. Both ends of the
airport drop-offf into the (lower) valley by 200-400 feet. :-) There
are clear areas south and southwest, immediately north, then west.

ANY airplane uses up a lot more runway than you would think. :-) It
is NO uncommon at 65 degrees F for a Bonanza, with 1/2 tanks and two
people to depart on runway 34 and be at 50' AGL, climbing at 50 feet
per minute. (Read that again... over a mile of runway, barely off the
ground and barely climbing). This may be due to several factors,
including cross wind, drainage winds, and "sink" from the mountain
wave overhead and descending over the airport.

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocation!" Eberhard

--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer'at'frii.com WEB http://users.frii.com/jer/
Old August 12th 05, 05:40 PM

john smith wrote:
Greg Farris wrote:
There is another reason to use 10? flaps - training.
Many students are not learning to fly a 172, but using a 172 to learn to fly
airplanes. If you are anticipating transitioning up ASAP (as in career
oriented students) it's good to get into the habit, because your next
airplane may require flaps on takeoff, and the one after that certainly will.

Cherokee Six calls for minimum 10-degrees flaps for all takeoffs.
If you try a no-flaps takeoff, your takeoff roll is significantly longer.

All correctly stated by each... however, I suggest it is better to
"learn to fly the current aircraft proficiently in the current weather
and environment" before "attempting to learn to fly the next
aircraft".

Old August 12th 05, 09:40 PM
grubertm

So what's the best procedure for a sand strip, 4000AGL, 50ft obstacle ?
I can see the advantage of 10 deg. flaps for a mud strip, but I am not
sure whether the increased friction due to sand is worth the decrease
in climb rate..

- Marco

Old August 12th 05, 10:29 PM
Casey Wilson

"grubertm" wrote in message
oups.com...
So what's the best procedure for a sand strip, 4000AGL, 50ft obstacle ?
I can see the advantage of 10 deg. flaps for a mud strip, but I am not
sure whether the increased friction due to sand is worth the decrease
in climb rate..

How about -- unbolt the wings and hire a trailer. G

Headwinds, always Paul kgyy Piloting 36 June 9th 05 01:05 AM
757 flaps miss-aligned in cruise AnyBody43 General Aviation 1 April 2nd 04 01:01 AM
Cessna 182S flaps EDR Piloting 7 January 16th 04 02:37 AM
C182 Stabilized Approach III Piloting 16 December 16th 03 07:36 PM
Flaps and V-Tails of Death Wallace Berry Soaring 59 November 26th 03 09:54 PM