Any fliers?

Old May 17th 04, 07:29 PM
WaltBJ

1) US should get a bunch of the Canadian turboprop amphib water
bombers.
2) Me. (original subject)
3) Taylorcraft, Aeronca, C152, PA18, T6, T7, T28, T33, F86F, F86D/L,
F94A/B, F100, F102, F104,F4D/E, U3A (tuna tank 310), C47.
Walt BJ
Old May 17th 04, 07:58 PM
John Carrier

Nope.

R / John

"Dick Latshaw" wrote in message
om...
"John Carrier" wrote in message

Sigh ....

True on both counts. Let's overlook the last (unmentioned) criterion.

R / John

"John R Weiss" wrote in message
"Krztalizer" wrote...
R / John (former fighter guy

Oh, blarney. John, there is no such thing as a 'former fighter

pilot'
and
you
know it. You'll have fangs to the day you die.

...not to mention a big watch. :-)

The Canon camera???

Regards,
Dick
Long ago MATS/MAC AC
T-34,T-37,T-33,C-47,C-123,CT/T-29,C-118,C-141

Old May 17th 04, 08:11 PM
BUFDRVR

Ron wrote:

But I guess if you need a lot of it laided down quickly and
precision isnt a huge issue, the 747 project would probably have a role

I would love to see it....from a mile or so away.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old May 17th 04, 08:15 PM
BUFDRVR

John R Weiss wrote:

Drop the flaps, and VREF is about 156 at max landing weight

Flaps? Damn! How much maneuverability are you going to get with flaps and 180
KIAS? Remember, there's a fire down there and its going to be turbulant.....

Since max zero fuel weight limits internal load to about 128 tonnes, that
would be the outer limit of water carriage ability

Which by my guess is 100 tonnes more than the biggest carrier now!

Biggest hurdle would be a dispensing system with high enough rate and good
enough safeguards against adverse CG situations.

I've dropped 20 tonnes of weapons at once, I can't even imagine whats going to
go on dropping 7 times that much. Additionally bombs don't "slush"!

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old May 17th 04, 08:46 PM
John S. Shinal

(BUFDRVR) wrote:

I would think airspeed would be more of an issue. I mean, a 747 can obviously
carry *tons* of water, but how useful is that if your minimum dispersion (due
to your 250+ KIAS minimum safe airspeed) spreads that water along a *5 mile*
track?

Yer not thinking big enough ! Three B-52 waterbombers in a
cell formation, you could inundate a huge swath of area with a
watercarpet.

Probably a recipe for acres of burning mud, but who knows...

Old May 17th 04, 10:24 PM
Ron

But I guess if you need a lot of it laided down quickly and
precision isnt a huge issue, the 747 project would probably have a role

I would love to see it....from a mile or so away.

There are some videos you can download from the evergreen site.

Ron
Tanker 65, C-54E (DC-4)
Silver City Tanker Base

Old May 17th 04, 11:04 PM
Vaughn

"BUFDRVR" wrote in message
Vaughn wrote:

Me. (Just today, in fact)

Sure, rub it in. Last sortie: 17 JUN 03, but hoping to return to flying by 17
JUN 05....

Yes, but my usual mount has 8 fewer engines than your BUF. I have one of
the most wonderful, yet most humble, gigs in commercial aviation. I am a
commercial sailplane rides pilot & CFI. http://www.barryaviation.com/

Vaughn

Old May 18th 04, 01:41 AM
Jim Thomas

Even a few MILITARY fliers!

John Weiss
LCDR, USN (Ret)
ex A-4, A-6, EA-6B Pilot
current 747 Pilot

Are you the only one or are there more?

Here's mine: T-37, T-33, T-38, A-1, F-104, F/RF-4C, U-2, F-5E, F-15,
F-117, A-7, + one or two flights in a dozen or so more.

Jim Thomas