Santa and the 3 wire

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 22nd 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Phil Rhodes

Default Santa and the 3 wire

First posted here during the first Iraq war, and now a Christmas
tradition...
(No, I didn't write it, I just saved it and repost it.)

Subject: Santa & the 3 Wire

`Twas the night before Christmas out here where I am.
Not a creature was stirring, not even Saddam.
The stockings were hung in the ready room with care,
in hopes that care packages soon would be there.

The J.O.'s were snuggled in their racks nice and tight,
Wishing to sleep until noon with all their might.
I'd just closed my eyes & settled down in my rack
we had just completed our most recent night trap.

When out on the roof we heard such a clatter
that we clambered on deck to see what was the matter.
Away to the kneeknocker we flew like a flash,
I tripped on my flip-flops and opened quite a gash.

The moon was as big as my now swollen knee
And we squinted against it's glare upon the sea
When, what at 3/4s of a mile should appear,
But a miniature sleigh and eight tiny reindeer.

The driver called the ball "Santa Ball - Ho Ho Ho"
We watched and we waited as he got a little too low.
We knew in a moment that it must be St. Nick
Because none of us could fix a low ball that quick.

He planted it nicely on the three wire with care
And glanced at the LSO's as if with a dare.
With a twinkle in his eye he received his debrief
When he heard the words "No Grade" he stood in disbelief.

"You don't need to be Santa Claus, for I am he,
But don't wait too long for something under your tree.
After a pass like that on the eve of Christmas Day
You'd think that even Santa might get an OK!"

He threw his gift sack on his back in a huff
Saying "I can't believe the Navy puts up with this stuff."
He mellowed a bit as he got down below
And started to chuckle, there was even a glow.

From ready room to ready room he went lickity split.
Filling our stockings and chatting a bit.
Telling us of our families and friends far apart
How they were keeping us in prayers and close to their hearts.

As his sack began to empty, his work here all done,
He bounded to the roof and to Catapult One.
He rogered the weight board and readied his sleigh,
With a push of the button he'd soon be on his way.

"Now, DASHER! now, DANCER! now, PRANCER and VIXEN!
On, COMET! On CUPID! On DONDER and BLITZEN!
Pay attention to what you're doing, this is no time to forget,
If things don't go perfect, we ALL end up wet!

A salute to the Officer, who then touched the deck.
We watched Santa's head nearly snap off his neck.
But we heard him exclaim as he rose out of sight
"I AM GLAD I DON'T HAVE TO DO THIS EVERY NIGHT."

We thought we had seen the last of the old guy
Until the Boss said "Clear him for one more fly by."
He came from bow to stern, an impressive sight
Yelling "MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT."

fly navy.