Arriving KMDW from the Northwest

Old November 11th 03, 01:09 AM
Mark D

Default Arriving KMDW from the Northwest

Hi!

Tried doing a bit of research on the web to no avail..looking for some
"practical" experience.
Next weekend, I'm gonna be flying into Midway (Chicago, IL)...arriving from
the Northwest. I'll be VFR in an Arrow.
(As much as I hate the Mayor for tearing up Meigs).

My "Direct" path would take me right through the middle of Chicago's Class
B, directly over O'Hare.
I'm fairly sure that they would *not* let me do this (considering it
would be about 5-6pm on Friday)...

I have all of the charts (Chicago Sectional/TAC)....and a fair amount of
experience dealing with busy (class B) airspace..but this will be the first
time inside of Chicago's airspace.

What do y'all do in the vincinity of Chicago? I am thinking the best idea
is to "fly around the west side of the class B and approach from the
southwest"...

Any practical experiences to share?

Thanks in advance!!

Mark

Old November 11th 03, 02:40 AM
MLenoch

Go direct to Schaumburg, which will offset you outside of O'Hare,
then direct to MDW.
VL
Old November 11th 03, 03:44 PM
Maurice Givens

Mark,
I teach out of Midway. Maybe I can help. It would be better if I
knew from where you were coming. However, let me take a stab at it.
Generally, RWY 31L is used for general aviation, and 31C for
commercial and jet charter. You can probably expect it. On occasion,
when the wind doesn't cooperate, RWY 22 is used (22R for GA, 22L for
comm). You will be landing with B737 airliners, but don't let that
bother you. They generally stay on their own approach and won't
wander into your path. From the NW, go down to about DuPage (DPA) and
come across that way. Be careful to stay below 1900 as you progress
toward MDW to stay clear of the ORD class B. When you leave the DPA
airspace listen to ATIS. Approach will be either on 119.45 or the
tower, 118.7, depending on traffic. From DPA. you will be given the
downwind for 31L or 22R. Should be a piece of cake. If my students
can do it, so can you.

If you have any other questions, email me.

Maurice Givens

Old November 11th 03, 08:44 PM
Nathan Young

[...]

If you are VFR, you will not be granted a transition. Best bet is to
call approach for flight following and plan stay outside of the Bravo.

You said you are arriving from the NW. Approach is 120.55 on the N
side of OHare. When 30 DME off of OHare call them up and ask for
flight following.
They will switch you to 133.5 as you go around the SW side of OHare.

I would fly at 2900 between DPA class D and the ORD Class B 100/19
ring. Follow the ring around towards MDW. As you pass DuPage pick up
the MDW ATIS on Com#2. Not sure if ORD approach will hand you off to
MDW approach or direct to MDW tower. If you do not have GPS, you can
use DME to fly an 'ARC' off the ORD VOR that will keep you clear of
both airspaces. Pilotage can be difficult in the Chicago area because
the ground is dense with homes and roads. Further, your focus is
better spent looking out the window as it is a high traffic area.

If you are comfortable with overwater flight (1 mile offshore), do
consider flying down the lakeshore and approaching MDW from the East.
The view of the Chicago skyline is incredible.

-Nathan