Birdman Flies across Channel

Old August 2nd 03, 02:10 PM
Simon Robbins

"Gordon" wrote in message
Not one of those Channel sharks listed would last five minutes in the

Indian
Ocean.
They'd be useful as bait, however.

A couple of years ago some shark expert allegedly spotted a Great White off
of Padstow, North Cornwall. I'm tempted to suspect it was more likely a
large Mako, being a smaller cousin of the GW in the same crescent-fin
family, but I defer to the expert... No White has ever been landed from
the British coast though.

However, there have been Mako attacks off the British coast in the past, but
they're rare. The only one I can recall was a couple of divers at The
Mannacles near Falmouth in Cornwall. Threshers and Hammerheads have also
been found in the waters, but I'm not aware of any attacks. You're more
likely to choke on a turd than get eaten by sharks in British waters!

Si

Old August 2nd 03, 04:33 PM
Peter Twydell

In article , Errol Cavit
writes

"Peter Twydell" wrote in message
In article , Tuollaf43
writes
(robert arndt) wrote in message

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...794%5E401,00.h
tm

Rob

Why does everyone have to use the English channel as a bench mark? Why
not the gulf of tonkin (or whatever).

Because it's the ultimate test of foreignness: English v. French.

It's also a big psychological barrier. The Romans/Angles, Saxons,
Jutes/Normans managed to invade or just get across it and the North Sea,
but no-one's crossed it successfully with evil intent since 1066.
(Except the Aussies coming for the Ashes, of course.)

Bzzzt wrong. While that might be a often repeated 'fact', there's a list in
msg id

Note the word "successfully" in my post. The point was also made in the
message to which you referred.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Old August 2nd 03, 05:24 PM
Chad Irby

In article ,
"Simon Robbins" wrote:

"David McArthur" wrote in message
I wonder if there's a military application for this Eg. Special Ops
teams being dropped up to 30 miles from their tgt???

What, and carrying a 200 lb equipment backpack too? Doubt it. Still,
probably wont stop them nicking the idea for the next Bond film.

Um... they already "nicked" it for the last one...

http://www.kineticaerospace.com/

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old August 2nd 03, 06:29 PM
Mark and Kim Smith

All right, I was quoting Woody, then. Buzz just made everything sound better.

http://www.bunchobikes.com

Gordon wrote:

nonononooo, Buzz Lightyear says its "falling with style". Don't any of you
have little kids?!

v/r
Gordon
====(A+C====
USN SAR Aircrew

"Got anything on your radar, SENSO?"
"Nothing but my forehead, sir."

Old August 2nd 03, 10:19 PM
Errol Cavit

"Peter Twydell" wrote in message
In article , Errol Cavit
writes

"Peter Twydell" wrote in message

snip

Because it's the ultimate test of foreignness: English v. French.

It's also a big psychological barrier. The Romans/Angles, Saxons,
Jutes/Normans managed to invade or just get across it and the North

Sea,
but no-one's crossed it successfully with evil intent since 1066.
(Except the Aussies coming for the Ashes, of course.)

Bzzzt wrong. While that might be a often repeated 'fact', there's a list

in
msg id

Note the word "successfully" in my post. The point was also made in the
message to which you referred.

"I think that
makes the point that invading England was relatively easy. Taking
control once you'd landed was somewhat more difficult."

That's a literal statement, not understatement for effect. The channel
wasn't what caused those invasions (or rather some of them) to fail.
Successful landing was followed by defeat (or success) on land (supply lines
not being required to cross the water after transport for much of history.)

--
Errol Cavit | to email, my middle initial is G | von Sanders (8/8/15):
"What can be done to save the situation?" Kemal: "We must place all the

Old August 2nd 03, 11:01 PM
Gordon

You guys are lucky that thing didn't catch you in the open
water between the shore and the ship....

affirmative.

Yikes. Just being in the open water with that thing must've been pretty
creepy.

Put it this way - I just plain *never* look forward to Shark Week on tv...

v/r
Gordon
Old August 3rd 03, 12:13 AM
Richard Brooks

From: (robert arndt)

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...841794%5E401,0
0.html Rob

I saw video of this guy flying his rig on ABC news. Jumped from
somewhere around 30K using oxygen and a specially heated suit.

Since we were discussing glide ratios earlier, I fail to believe he
would have made it that far if his wing set-up was made of lead. He'd
have been feeding the sharks at the bottom of the channel faster then
a speeding bullet.

Nah, all the channel traffic killed them off thousands of years ago! ;-)

Richard.

Old August 3rd 03, 06:30 AM
Mary Shafer

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 07:31:39 +0100, Peter Twydell
wrote:

It's also a big psychological barrier. The Romans/Angles, Saxons,
Jutes/Normans managed to invade or just get across it and the North Sea,
but no-one's crossed it successfully with evil intent since 1066.
(Except the Aussies coming for the Ashes, of course.)

The Royal Netherlands Marines (Korps Mariniers) managed to cross the
Channel, run up the Thames, and do a little invading and sacking in
1666.

The Royal Netherlands Marines were established on 10 Dec 1665 during
the Dutch Wars (which caused the British to form the Royal Marines on
28 Oct 1664) so they hit the ground running.

The oldest marine corps in the world was established on 26 Feb 1537,
by the way.

Mary