Altimeter 3066

Old December 2nd 06, 06:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
M[_1_]

Default Altimeter 3066

A very high pressure settled in Pacific NW:

KPSC 020453Z 31006KT 6SM BR BKN007 BKN075 M07/M08 A3066 RMK AO2
SLP389 T10671078

That's the highest that I've ever remember seeing.

I always thought that the NW seems to have larger pressure swings
(probably more so in Alaska). We can go from 2960 to 3060 in about two
days.

Old December 2nd 06, 07:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
M[_1_]

BTW, FAR 91.144 restricts flight operations when barometric pressure
exceeds 31 inch mercury. Any idea why? (note this restriction applies
to VFR traffic a well).

Old December 2nd 06, 07:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
J. Severyn

"M" wrote in message
ps.com...

BTW, FAR 91.144 restricts flight operations when barometric pressure
exceeds 31 inch mercury. Any idea why? (note this restriction applies
to VFR traffic a well).

The Kollsman Window is only required to have a range of 28.00 to 31.00
inches Hg. So if barometric pressure is outside that range, you cannot
accurately set most altimeters.

John Severyn
@KLVK

Old December 2nd 06, 07:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
M[_1_]

I don't believe VFR flight requires accurate altimeter adjustable for
barometric pressure. 91.205 only requires such altimeter for IFR
operations.

J. Severyn wrote:
ps.com...

Old December 2nd 06, 08:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
J. Severyn

Correct. But you still are required to follow the NOTAM in extremely high
or low barometric pressure conditions. If you read FAR91.144 quoted he

"Sec. 91.144

Temporary restriction on flight operations during abnormally high barometric
pressure conditions.

(a) Special flight restrictions. When any information indicates that
barometric pressure on the route of flight currently exceeds or will exceed
31 inches of mercury, no person may operate an aircraft or initiate a flight
contrary to the requirements established by the Administrator and published
in a Notice to Airmen issued under this section.
(b) Waivers. The Administrator is authorized to waive any restriction issued
under paragraph (a) of this section to permit emergency supply, transport,
or medical services to be delivered to isolated communities, where the
operation can be conducted with an acceptable level of safety."

In other words, it says "Read the NOTAM" or "Get a Waiver". Normally the
NOTAM will restrict operation at certain altitudes so that safe altitude
separation can be maintained in spite of the inability to correctly enter
the barometric pressure.

John Severyn
@KLVK

"M" wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't believe VFR flight requires accurate altimeter adjustable for
barometric pressure. 91.205 only requires such altimeter for IFR
operations.

J. Severyn wrote:
ps.com...

Old December 2nd 06, 08:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
J. Severyn

"M" wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't believe VFR flight requires accurate altimeter adjustable for
barometric pressure. 91.205 only requires such altimeter for IFR
operations.

AIM 7-2-2 might answer your question about high and low barometric
pressures.
John Severyn
@KLVK

Old December 2nd 06, 09:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Macklin

That is the highest pressure you can set on the Kollsman
window.

ps.com...

Old December 2nd 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Fred G. Black

M wrote:
BTW, FAR 91.144 restricts flight operations when barometric pressure
exceeds 31 inch mercury. Any idea why? (note this restriction applies
to VFR traffic a well).

The "why" is that the altimeter setting range on most altimeters doesn't
go past 31.00". Does anyone have an example of a NOTAM under 91.144?
(how restrictive is it).

The rules that apply in Canada are a bit more explicit:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/pu...12-1.htm#12-12

Basically it says
- for enroute, set the altimeter to 31"
- for IFR approaches, set the altimeter to the actual altimeter setting
if able, otherwise set it to 31" and adjust the altitude minima (add
100' and 1/4 SM per 0.1" above 31.00")
- aerodromes which cannot report the actual altimeter setting are
restricted to VFR.
-"For aircraft operating VFR, no additional restrictions apply; however,
extra diligence in flight planning and in operating in these conditions
is essential. "