b 52 stratofort pdf & pars - "B-52_Stratofortress.pdf" yEnc[90388K]

Old April 23rd 09, 01:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Lear-1

Default b 52 stratofort pdf & pars - "B-52_Stratofortress.pdf" yEnc[90388K]

hielan' laddie wrote:
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 13:59:52 -0400, Mike wrote
(in article ):

WHY THE H&^% do you encode stuff????????

This is USENET. All posts are plain text. Any binary files are encoded in
some way, using plain text as the basis for the encoding. Common encoding
formats include UUencode, MIME, and YENC. Your problem is that you are using
MSOE or MS Mail (same thing), which does not know how to handle certain
encoding formats, notably YENC, because it is a deliberately crippled
newsreader. I decline to support deliberately crippled newsreaders. There are
free or cheap 3rd-party decoders which will allow MSOE to access some files
it would otherwise not be able to. There are free or cheap newsreaders which
are not crippled. You may choose one out of:

1 getting a free or cheap 3rd-party decoder

2 getting a free or cheap real newsreader

3 not downloading files which MSOE can't handle; YENC files, for example,
will always have 'yEnc' in the header so you can know what they are
beforehand.

4 bitch and moan and provide amusement to those who have real newsreaders.

The choice is yours. I use YENC for several reasons, starting with the
demonstrable fact that it is more efficient; a YENC format post might be as
much as 20% smaller than a UUencoded post. I see no reason to take more time
during the upload than I have to. If this is a problem for you, it is easily
solved if you pick one of the first three options. I don't care which one you
pick... unless you pick (4), 'cause if you pick (4) I get to laugh at you.
Being able to laugh at those who insist on using MSOE on USENET is one of the
other reasons why I use YENC.

Any more questions?

And, BTW... don't top-post. And trim your replies, there's a good lad.

Thank God they are required to have YENC in the file name. Saves me a
lot of time not having to look at those files
Old April 23rd 09, 04:13 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
hielan' laddie

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 20:05:00 -0400, Lear-1 wrote
(in article ):

hielan' laddie wrote:
[...]

Not required. I could remove it if I so desired. It's merely added to the
subjectline by default... and can be removed just as easily.

But, hey, if you don't want it, don't download it.