Airline Pilot for a day?

Old May 31st 05, 06:46 PM

Default Airline Pilot for a day?

Hi all,
I seem to remember a few years back there was a program run by one of
the airlines where for a fee of around $1500 or so you would go and
train for a weekend on a Boeing 737 and at the end you would actually
get to fly one for half an hour or so.

Does anyone know if that program still exists? Any links would be
appreciated.
Thanks,
Hish

Old May 31st 05, 08:54 PM
Dudley Henriques

I'm afraid those days might have gone down with the new homeland security
issues.
Brings back memories though :-) I had a friend who was chief pilot for a
fairly large charter outfit flying stretch DC8's. I was given the rare
opportunity to actually fly one of their birds up to Fairbanks Alaska once
as a "guest" pilot.
It was a great experience and one I'll never forget. I actually got the damn
thing on the ground in one piece too :-)
Sorry if you don't get the chance to do this. It's the times I guess.
Dudley Henriques

oups.com...

Old May 31st 05, 09:20 PM
Morgans

"Dudley Henriques" dhenriques@noware .net wrote in message
hlink.net...
I'm afraid those days might have gone down with the new homeland security
issues.
Brings back memories though :-) I had a friend who was chief pilot for a
fairly large charter outfit flying stretch DC8's. I was given the rare
opportunity to actually fly one of their birds up to Fairbanks Alaska once
as a "guest" pilot.
It was a great experience and one I'll never forget. I actually got the

damn
thing on the ground in one piece too :-)
Sorry if you don't get the chance to do this. It's the times I guess.
Dudley Henriques

So how does (did) that work? I would assume there had to be two pilots
qualified in type, and you were an "add on."
--
Jim in NC

Old May 31st 05, 11:10 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Morgans" wrote in message

[...]

Based on the always present and usual situation whenever and every time you
post to me, I'll just assume you would like nothing better than to "catch"
me on something untrue so rather than "explain" the circumstances of the
flight to you, I'll simply suggest that you check the crew requirements for
a ferry flight and hope that will be the end of it.
Thank you
Dudley Henriques

Old May 31st 05, 11:38 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Morgans" wrote in message

So how does (did) that work? I would assume there had to be two pilots
qualified in type, and you were an "add on."
--
Jim in NC

Oh yes, I almost forgot........wouldn't want to confuse the "investigation"
:-)
wasn't multi-engine OR instrument rated either at the time of this flight.
Dudley Henriques

Old June 1st 05, 03:09 AM
Jim Fisher

"Dudley Henriques" dhenriques@noware .net wrote in message
I'll just assume you would like nothing better than to "catch"
me on something untrue so rather than "explain" the circumstances of the
flight to you,

I imagine he's just curious, is all. We know better than to ask you to back
anything up. ;')

Old June 1st 05, 03:25 AM
Dudley Henriques

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message
. ..
"Dudley Henriques" dhenriques@noware .net wrote in message
I'll just assume you would like nothing better than to "catch"
me on something untrue so rather than "explain" the circumstances of the
flight to you,

I imagine he's just curious, is all. We know better than to ask you to
back anything up. ;')

God...doesn't the menu for you people ever change around here?
And just what is it about me you think needs backing up Fisher?
Dudley Henriques

Old June 1st 05, 04:57 AM
Morgans

"Dudley Henriques" dhenriques@noware .net wrote

Based on the always present and usual situation whenever and every time

you
post to me, I'll just assume you would like nothing better than to "catch"
me on something untrue so rather than "explain" the circumstances of the
flight to you, I'll simply suggest that you check the crew requirements

for
a ferry flight and hope that will be the end of it.

Listen Dudley, I posted, I thought, a very civil question. I think it would
be way cool to get to fly the heavy stuff, even for a person such as
yourself, with lots of experience in other types. I would also think that
you would *not* have posted an experience in a public forum, where there
was something for you to have to hide, or anyone to able catch you in
anything. That was not my purpose, or goal, in any way.

I think that if you met me, with an open mind, you would like me as a
person. Most people do. I hold no ill will, after a period of time, and
would like to forget any unpleasantries we had in the past.

As far as where to find the crew requirements for a ferry flight, I would
have no idea where to even start looking.

Here is where I was coming from. It was my understanding, that you had to
have two pilots rated in type to fly the big stuff (or even some of the biz
jets) on any type of flight. Is that not true? I don't know. That is why
I asked. If it were true, all you had to say in a response (true or not)
that yes, there were two type rated pilots in the cockpit, and one was kind
enough to let you have his seat for the flight. I know of no restrictions
that say both rated in type have to be at the controls, all of the time, so
if that was the case, there is nothing to catch you in. (not that I want to)
I am not evil.

Again, all I was doing was attempting to open a civil conversation, and hear
more of your experience in this flight. You have done more than I will ever
get the chance to do, so all I can do is live vicariously.

Can you put the past in the past? I can, and have.
--
Thanks
Jim in NC