"I'll spend as much of YOUR money as I want!" - Bu$h's Sunday Presidential Address

Old September 11th 03, 02:13 AM
Bob McKellar

B2431 wrote:

I suppose I should.

It amazes me an adult in his 50s can't admit he's wrong and switches sides and
says he was correct all along despite the evidence.

Why are you bringing GWB into this discussion? I thought we were talking about
Tarver.

Bob McKellar

Actually, he's not amusing anymore. I didn't killfile him before because it
amazed me what he would come up with in this and other NGs.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

Old September 11th 03, 02:24 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Bob McKellar" wrote in message

B2431 wrote:

I suppose I should.

It amazes me an adult in his 50s can't admit he's wrong and switches

sides and
says he was correct all along despite the evidence.

Why are you bringing GWB into this discussion? I thought we were talking

about
Tarver.

Dan is just making a fool of himself, do you plan to join him?

Old September 11th 03, 03:59 AM
B2431

B2431 wrote:

I suppose I should.

It amazes me an adult in his 50s can't admit he's wrong and switches sides

and
says he was correct all along despite the evidence.

Why are you bringing GWB into this discussion? I thought we were talking
about
Tarver.

Bob McKellar

Boo, hiss etc

Dan, U. S. Airforce, retired
Old September 11th 03, 05:22 AM
Walt BJ

Gentleman, the F4E does indeed have static ports, two of them. They
are located ON the pitot boom. FYI I logged 2000+ hours in the F4
series and was an F4E maintenance test pilot besides an instructor in
both the F4D and E. FWIW The F104A's static ports were in the same
place on the late-model pitot head installed on that airplane.
As for P1 and T0, they refer to the turbine engine stations where the
readings are taken. As for gasoline (piston) engines not needing such
information, the latest electronic fuel controls for reciprocating
engines do indeed use that information to compute air density for
precision fuel metering. Most likely if you drive a new car it also
has that type of control.
Walt BJ
Old September 11th 03, 07:20 PM

(B2431) wrote:

From:
(Walt BJ)

Gentleman, the F4E does indeed have static ports, two of them. They
are located ON the pitot boom.

snip
Walt BJ

Walt, that's why I referred to it as the "pitot-static" tube. I guess I could
have been more clear in referring to static ports as a separate entity. I was
referring to the static ports flush mounted on the fuselage eg; KC-135. The
KC-135 has pitot tubes and the static ports are elsewhere on the fuselage. A
pitot-static tube has static ports a few inches back from the inlet as in F-4E,
T-39 etc.

As for the static ports on the F-4E pitot-static tube there were 4 small holes
in pairs on opposite sides of the tube IIRC(it's been 23 years since I last
worked on an F-4E). In any event the ports were all routed to a single fitting
extending out the back of the pitot-static tube coaxially with the pitot
fitting and heater connector. The pitot and static fittings were -4 and were
connected to lengths of nylon tubing running aft along the right side of the
radome.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

That reminds me...there was an odd setup on the C-119 with
respect to static ports...there was one on each side of the big
flat sides of the fuselage which were connected together then
"teed" off to feed the ASI, altimeter and VSI. It was a little
'trick' question as to the reason for this.

Apparently it's purpose was to cancel out the effect of
'skidding' the fuselage. With those huge 'barn door' sides the
effect of skid was quite large. Could this have been why the
F-4E's static ports were 'doubled up'?
--

-Gord.