Best Choice for a New Plane

Old August 21st 08, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
CodyDawg

Default Best Choice for a New Plane

I'm in the market for a new airplane that can carry 4 adults for 250nm
typical trips. No more than $600k. Any ideas?

Old August 21st 08, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Aug 21, 11:24*am, "CodyDawg" wrote:
I'm in the market for a new airplane that can carry 4 adults for 250nm
typical trips. *No more than $600k. *Any ideas?

Get a used Lear that is in decent shape. The check you write to
purchase any plane will be a small drop in the bucket of your cost of
ownership. You may want to look more at what you want to spend to fly
the plane. As a rule of thumb you can take whatever the plane would
rent for at an FBO and add 50%.

-Robert

Old August 21st 08, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
JGalban via AviationKB.com

CodyDawg wrote:
I'm in the market for a new airplane that can carry 4 adults for 250nm
typical trips. No more than $600k. Any ideas?

Any other requirements? Speed? Avionics? single? twin? fixed/retractable?

My ~$45K Cherokee will haul 4 adults 250 nm. in relative comfort. Most new
piston singles and twins (with the exception of Light Sport models) will fill
that requirement.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old August 22nd 08, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kyle Boatright

"CodyDawg" wrote in message
m...
I'm in the market for a new airplane that can carry 4 adults for 250nm
typical trips. No more than $600k. Any ideas?

With a 250 mile trip, speed would be less of a consideration than load
carrying ability.

With that in mind, why not a Piper 6X? Huge load carrier, decent speed, and
they are still making 'em today. Should be able to get a great example for
1/2 to 2/3 of your price range or a new example within your range.
Alternately, for 1/4 to 1/3 of your price range you could get a Cherokee
Six, which is essentially the same airplane, just older.

Old August 22nd 08, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
CodyDawg

Thanks for the input - that's some good advice. Hadn't thought about Piper
as I have only flown Cessnas but it makes sense.

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
news

m...

Old August 22nd 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
BT

A used Seneca IV or V

m...

Old August 22nd 08, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
The Visitor

Just a consideration....
I like my III better. Mainly because of the useful load, 1500 and that
is with (70 lbs)air conditioning! The fives are really heavy.

BT wrote:
A used Seneca IV or V

m...

Old August 23rd 08, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Kyle Boatright" said:
With that in mind, why not a Piper 6X? Huge load carrier, decent speed, and
they are still making 'em today. Should be able to get a great example for
1/2 to 2/3 of your price range or a new example within your range.
Alternately, for 1/4 to 1/3 of your price range you could get a Cherokee
Six, which is essentially the same airplane, just older.

I loved our club's old Lance (which is basically a Cherokee 6 with
retractable gear) and I'm sorry we sold it. The best thing about it,
besides the huge amount of gear it would carry, is that it was so roomy.
With club seating, you could put four passengers in the back, put a cooler
between them, and they wouldn't bother you for the whole flight.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
When you need a helpline for breakfast cereals, it's about time to think
Old August 23rd 08, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
john smith

Paul, how do you like your OSH purchase?

Logger Choice Jamie Denton Soaring 10 July 6th 07 03:13 PM
Which DC Headphone is best choice? [email protected] Piloting 65 June 27th 06 11:50 PM
o2 drug of choice?? houstondan Piloting 10 February 7th 05 12:40 AM
!! HELP GAMERS CHOICE Dave Military Aviation 2 September 3rd 04 04:48 PM
!!HELP GAMERS CHOICE Dave Soaring 0 September 3rd 04 12:01 AM