Rear engine in a crash question

Old November 18th 03, 04:55 PM
BernadetteTS

Default Rear engine in a crash question

I've been reading through the BD-5 thread and have a question.

I guess this is an opinion thread but what happens to a rear engine
mounted directly behind the pilot in a crash? In something like an
ultralight, BD-5, Cutiss pusher or Vari-EZ does an engine have a
tendency to rip loose and go through the pilot due to inertia in a
sudden stop? Or in many crashes is the direction of flight not straight
ahead, like if the aircraft was in a stall when it contacted the ground?
The force is down not forward through the cockpit.

Bernadette
Old November 18th 03, 07:13 PM
AL

I really hate to admit it, but, to my great chagrin I once departure stalled
and crashed a rear-engine ultralight. Think of a Quicksilver, except the
engine was under the wing. Well, it didn't "tear loose" but rather went
right over my head. A friend and a passerby together elevated the tangled
mass of tubing enough for me to crawl out from under it. Amazing how hard it
is to release a seat belt when your body is dangling from it...

Al Mills

Old November 18th 03, 10:35 PM
George A. Graham

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, BernadetteTS wrote:

I guess this is an opinion thread but what happens to a rear engine
mounted directly behind the pilot in a crash?

I can offer one data point. I flopped down hard enough to brake the
nose landing gear linkage, during my worst landing. We stopped very
fast on the runway.

No prop or engine damage, as they are in the back.

I replaced a rod end, and we flew home with a nasty scrape under
the nose.

A similar landing incident killed two neighbors when their front
engined bird collapsed the nose gear on landing, which lead to
a fire from which they did not escape.

I like mine in the back.

George Graham
RX-7 Powered Graham-EZ, N4449E
Homepage http://bfn.org/~ca266

Old November 18th 03, 11:51 PM
- Barnyard BOb -

I really hate to admit it, but, to my great chagrin I once departure stalled
and crashed a rear-engine ultralight. Think of a Quicksilver, except the
engine was under the wing. Well, it didn't "tear loose" but rather went
right over my head.

A friend and a passerby together elevated the tangled
mass of tubing enough for me to crawl out from under it. Amazing how hard it
is to release a seat belt when your body is dangling from it...

Al Mills

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sounds like your seatbelt was NOT an aviation approved type.
If it was, it should have unlatched easily...
allowing you to fall and break your neck or
whatever was going to break your fall. g

Barnyard BOb --
Old November 19th 03, 02:52 AM
Big John

BOb

Don't laugh. Saw a P-51 pour full power on after a landing attempt
that went bad and bird torque rolled inverted and went into sand
beside runway.

Group ran out and picked wing up to let pilot get out. Bubble canopy
was broken of course and when he released is seat belt fell on his
head and cracked a vertebrae.

Can't win sometimes for losing I guess?

Big John

Old November 19th 03, 06:17 AM
- Barnyard BOb -

BOb

Don't laugh. Saw a P-51 pour full power on after a landing attempt
that went bad and bird torque rolled inverted and went into sand
beside runway.

Group ran out and picked wing up to let pilot get out. Bubble canopy
was broken of course and when he released is seat belt fell on his
head and cracked a vertebrae.

Can't win sometimes for losing I guess?

Big John

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm not laughing.

Just because the crash may be over...
undoing a seatbelt still may require
extreme care and caution.

I first became aware of this early in my
crop dusting career. Seems a fellow
put his Stearman on its back and in
haste to exit his inverted position...
yep, injured his neck and back a bit.

That bit of foolishness might have paralyzed him....
had he been SOBER.

I'm not even going to take a stab
at the moral of this story. g

Barnyard BOb -- seen a lot in 50 years of flight