Va and negative g's & fun non-acrobatic maneuvers

Old December 4th 03, 03:52 PM
Rich Stowell

Yes, that was funny -- I seem to recall they floated a weiner dog or
something small like that...

"mike regish" wrote in message news:0yuzb.19348$_M.65660@attbi_s54...
Ever see the Americas Funniest Video where the camera shows two people in
the front seat of a small plane. The shadow is changing, but you can't tell
what they're up to untill the dog comes floating up out of the back seat,
does a quarter turn and floats up in between them.

It's hilarious.

mike regish

"Rich Stowell" wrote in message
om...
FAR 91.303, Aerobatic Flight, states in pertinent part:

"For the purposes of this section, aerobatic flight means an
intentional maneuver involving an abrupt change in an aircraft's
attitude, an abnormal attitude, or an abnormal acceleration, not
neccessary for normal flight."

In the context of the Cessna 172, it could be argued (especially by an
ornery FAA-type) that the "float the pencil" maneuver results in both
"an abnormal attitude" and an "abnormal acceleration," and is "not
necessary for normal flight."

What exactly constitutes an "aerobatic maneuver" is left open for
interpretation, and in the end depends on who's looking...

And while the reply below is good, it is debatable whether or not it
is the ONLY sensible one thus far. Given that the original poster has
never done this before, isn't it prudent to suggest he get some dual
in the particular maneuver before attempting it by himself, or worse,
attempting it for the first time with the plane loaded with someone
else's kids???

Rich
http://www.richstowell.com

Robert Moore wrote in message

.7...
(Dan Thomas) wrote

It can be done from cruise speed. Pull up into a shallow climb,
then start pushing forward, increasing pressure until the pencil
comes off the panel. It'll feel like negative G's but isn't. The
only stress on the airplane occurs when you pull out of the
shallow dive created by the maneuver. You don't have to get the
nose way up or down at all, and it doesn't require abrupt, or
anywhere near full, control inputs. Kids love it.

The ONLY sensible post in this whole thread! I "float" stuff with
all of my new students, makes them feel like an astronaut. And
that's in a Cessna-172. Who cares if the engine sputters? All of
you sissies go back to MSFS. Its not an aerobatic maneuver and
doesn't require areobatic training!

Bob Moore
ATP CFI

Old December 4th 03, 05:31 PM
One's Too Many

"Paul Sengupta" wrote in message . ..
For added effect use an aerobatic plane and bank to just over
the 90 degrees. Got my g-meter up to about 3 pulling out of
one of those.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!
..
..
..
..
Ralph Buick
Old December 4th 03, 11:19 PM
Model Flyer

"Paul Sengupta" wrote in
message ...
If I moved the throttle forward too quickly on the 172 I learned
on, there would be an almighty bang as it backfired and it would
cough and splutter and take longer to pick up again. I learned
quickly to move the throttle forward smoothly!

Paul

Oh, I do love stalls, you could get great stalls in a Beagle Pup.
Sadly I only had one day of stalls and we lost our flying field, our
Instructors before I got to spins. I'm sure I would have loved spins,
however neither the Rallye 100 nor a piper cherokee are cleared for
spin training, anyway we don't do full spin training anymore.:-)
--
---
Cheers,

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message
I would slam the throttle forward with the palm of my hand, while

getting
the
carb heat off with my thumb. My instructor said it wasn't

necessary to
move that
fast.

Old December 4th 03, 11:22 PM
Model Flyer

"Paul Sengupta" wrote in
message ...
For added effect use an aerobatic plane and bank to just over
the 90 degrees. Got my g-meter up to about 3 pulling out of
one of those.

What plane was that?
--
---
Cheers,
don't bother me with insignificiant nonsence such as spelling,
I don't care if it spelt properly
/
Sometimes I fly and sometimes I just dream about it.
:-)

Paul

"One's Too Many" wrote in message
om...
From level flight at slow-normal cruise, with plenty of altitude

spare (i.e 5000 AGL), pull the power back to idle and bank the

thing
over to almost 60 degrees letting the nose fall over in a slow

steep
banked 180 degree turn. Watch your airspeed and make sure it

stays at
or below Va. Level out and then do it again in the opposite bank,

make a big falling slow figure-8 pattern as you descend. Keep

your
bank at or below 60 degrees and the nose down angle less than 30
degrees and you're still legal. Because you're not maintaining

level
flight in the 60 deg banks, you're not really pulling any Gs in

the
banks either. The most Gs you pull is when you level out after

you're
done with the steep banks. Maybe 1.5 Gs at the most if you're

sloppy
about it. One of my favorite "fun" things since you get a

windshield
full of straight-down plus a wee bit of almost-zero-G feeling

without
hardly any stress on the aircraft at all.