Another article

Old December 3rd 03, 12:04 PM
Roger Long

Default Another article

I'm in danger of becoming a regular contributor to "Aviation Safety". My
second article has just gone to press. It answers these burning questions:

1) Why is nose wheel shimmy usually reported by only two or three club
members and no one else is having a problem?

2) How can you grease a landing and still abuse your nose strut?

3) What is the relationship between trim setting and flat strut syndrome?

4) What has changed in the aviation environment since the nose gears most of
fly were designed?

--
Roger Long

Old December 3rd 03, 02:13 PM
Jay Honeck

4) What has changed in the aviation environment since the nose gears most
of
fly were designed?

Is this Pennsylvania Dutch?

("Throw Momma down the stairs a hat!")

A writer I are, too. ;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 3rd 03, 03:56 PM
Peter R.

Roger Long om) wrote:

1) Why is nose wheel shimmy usually reported by only two or three club
members and no one else is having a problem?

2) How can you grease a landing and still abuse your nose strut?

3) What is the relationship between trim setting and flat strut syndrome?

4) What has changed in the aviation environment since the nose gears most of
fly were designed?

You piqued my curiosity. Any chance you might answer those questions here
for those of us who don't subscribe?

Additionally, is Aviation Monthly a periodical worth the price of
subscription? I already receive AOPA Pilot, Flying, Plane and Pilot, NTSB
Reporter, and IFR Magazine. Does it contain pertinent articles not found
in any of these magazines?

--
Peter

Old December 3rd 03, 06:35 PM
Roger Long

Gee, that kinda puts me on the spot. They pay me money for this stuff. I'm not sure I should be handing it out the back door before the issue even hits the streets

They aren't really secrets though.

Pilot technique has a lot to do with shimmy. Properly overhauled nose gears start solid and get looser. If a bunch of pilots are flying a plane, almost no one will experience shimmy at first, then a few pilots, then more, then everyone. At some point it will go to the shop. It's how people fly that determines where in the cycle they experience shimmy.

You can land gently on the mains and then still rotate nose down fast enough to put the strut seals at risk.

Forgetting to trim in the pattern makes it hard to land at the proper airspeed and makes the plane rotate quickly onto the nosegear at the slightest relaxation of yoke pressure.

Almost every pilot flying was trained in and transitioning from taildraggers when the 172 vintage aircraft were designed. Landing nose high was second nature.

Please, no flames or responses to this quick summary unless you've read the article. I'm only going to discuss on the basis of my full presentation.

I find "Aviation Safety" the best of the mags I read. No ads, solid and to the point stuff. No fluff. I enjoy "Flying" and "AOPA Pilot" as entertainment but A.S. is more interesting and makes me a better pilot.

--
Roger Long

Old December 3rd 03, 07:03 PM
Peter R.

Roger Long om) wrote:

snip
I find "Aviation Safety" the best of the mags I read. No ads, solid
and to the point stuff. No fluff. I enjoy "Flying" and "AOPA Pilot"
as entertainment but A.S. is more interesting and makes me a better
pilot.

Thank you for the brief synopsis and thank you for the recommendation. I
will seriously look into purchasing an AS subscription.

--
Peter

Old December 3rd 03, 07:03 PM
Montblack

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
4) What has changed in the aviation environment since the nose gears

most of fly were designed?

Is this Pennsylvania Dutch?

("Throw Momma down the stairs a hat!")

A writer I are, too. ;-)

You should have seen the one I sent my brother last week.

Hmm. Sentence needs something.
Put this at the end, then move this.
Highlight - Copy.

Phone rings
Chit-chat
Get up to refill the glass - Diet Coke!!
Stop and look at some TV reality show with girls in bikinis
Let killer poodle out
Oh yeah. Let killer poodle back in

Eventually, sit back down 20 minutes later.

Paste - in not quite the right spot.
Brain rereads what you wanted it to say. Send

UNSEND! UNSEND!

--
Montblack
http://lumma.de/mt/archives/bart.gif

Old December 3rd 03, 09:24 PM
Cub Driver

Is this Pennsylvania Dutch?

("Throw Momma down the stairs a hat!")

Interesting. This used to be a New Hampshire calumny:

"Throw Father down the stairs his shoes."

Supposedly French-Canadian, in this case.

(I've heard that all the Applachian hillbilly jokes are also current
in Australia, except that the subjects are Tasmanians.)

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old December 3rd 03, 09:40 PM
Jack Allison

See what happens when you mix diet coke, reality TV, and letting the dog
out/in? Serves ya right! :-)

Ah, if they'd only perfect that "unsend" command...I could use it sometimes
too

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old December 4th 03, 12:32 AM
BTIZ

I thought it was those crazy people from Northern Massachusetts..

of course those Frenchman from Lewiston Me would fit too..

"Next time you cut through my yard... you go around!!"

"Throw me down the stairs my coat, outside it is cold."

BT

and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com