Question for Pressurised Baron pilots

Old December 3rd 03, 07:46 PM
DeltaDeltaDelta

Default Question for Pressurised Baron pilots

I've been trying to find some info on this thing for quite a while now. I've
been to Raytheon's site and found specs for the normal Baron only. If some
of you do own the P version, could you please tell me what engines do they
have? Are they the regular IO-550s or are they turbocharged? And what are
their pressurisation abilities and optimal cruise altitude?

Triple Delta

Old December 3rd 03, 08:49 PM
Peter Duniho

"DeltaDeltaDelta" wrote in message
I've been trying to find some info on this thing for quite a while now.

I've
been to Raytheon's site and found specs for the normal Baron only. If some
of you do own the P version, could you please tell me what engines do they
have? Are they the regular IO-550s or are they turbocharged? And what are
their pressurisation abilities and optimal cruise altitude?

Does Raytheon still sell the 58P? There may be a good reason there's no
current specs on their web site.

As for the questions, I don't know what previous 58P's had, but a quick
Google search seems to indicate that they were available at least with the
520 cu.in. engines; not sure about the 550 cu.in. ones. I've never heard of
a pressurized airplane that wasn't turbocharged, but for sure if there's an
exception, the Baron wouldn't be it.

Keep in mind that even if you were looking at the unpressurized Barons, the
Raytheon web site is likely to only give you info on the current models.
Earlier models may or may not have similar equipment, including the engines.
If the information on earlier models is there, it would be harder to find,
probably under the customer support areas.

Pete

Old December 3rd 03, 08:55 PM
Peter Duniho

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
link.net...
If the engines aren't turbocharged how would they preasurize the cabin?

It would theoretically be possible to use any other form of air pump. I've
never heard of such a thing, but I see no reason a turbocharger (or turbine
engine) would be *required* for successful pressurization. For that matter,
any kind of supercharger is probably useful for the purpose of pressurizing
an aircraft.

Of course, then there's the question of "why bother", since without a
turbocharger, there's not a lot of incentive to fly really high where the
pressurization would be useful, nor would the plane likely be able to climb
very far into those altitudes anyway.

In other words, yes it's almost guaranteed that a pressurized airplane will
have turbocharged engines, but for someone that doesn't know how
pressurization systems normally work, it's a reasonable question to ask
whether the engines are pressurized or not. IMHO, of course.

Pete

Old December 3rd 03, 09:16 PM
Craig Prouse

DeltaDeltaDelta wrote:

Are they the regular IO-550s or are they turbocharged?

If they were regular IO-550s, where would the pressurization come from?

Old December 3rd 03, 09:39 PM
Mike Rapoport

You are right of course but every preasurized airplane that I am familiar
with uses air compressed by a turbocharger or turbine engine compressor
(pretty much the same thing.)

Mike
MU-2

Old December 3rd 03, 10:42 PM
JerryK

The P Baron has not been made since the mid 80s. Check the Aviation
Consumer web site or buying guides for reviews.

jerry

Old December 4th 03, 12:05 AM

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 20:46:44 +0100, "DeltaDeltaDelta"
wrote:

I've been trying to find some info on this thing for quite a while now. I've
been to Raytheon's site and found specs for the normal Baron only. If some
of you do own the P version, could you please tell me what engines do they
have? Are they the regular IO-550s or are they turbocharged? And what are
their pressurisation abilities and optimal cruise altitude?

Triple Delta

For S/N TJ-3 through TJ-168

Engine:

Teledyne Continental Motors TSIO-520-L or TSIO-520-LB
(2 of either or 1 of each)

For S/N TJ-169 through TJ-435 and TJ-437 through TJ-443

Engine: 2 Teledyne Continental Motors TSIO-520-WB

For S/N TJ-436, TJ-444 and up

Engine: 2 Teledyne Continental Motors TSIO-520-WB

Can't remember max diff. Around 4 psi as I recall.

Old December 4th 03, 12:06 AM

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 20:43:39 GMT, "Mike Rapoport"
wrote:

If the engines aren't turbocharged how would they preasurize the cabin?

flux capacitor

Old December 4th 03, 12:58 AM
karl gruber

Mike,

******You are right of course but every pressurized airplane that I am
familiar
with uses air compressed by a turbocharger or turbine engine compressor
(pretty much the same thing.)******

I'm sure you are vaguely familiar with the King Air 90, A90, and B90. None
of these use bleed air for pressurization. They have a Roots supercharger on
the left engine that supplies pressure for the cabin. Weird! Supposedly the
FAA was concerned about bleed air into the cabin in early turboprops.

Best