Air traffic detection question

Old February 25th 04, 05:37 AM
FISHnFLY

Default Air traffic detection question

Has anyone flown with any of these new "portable tcas" devices? I
recently got a Monroy ATD-300, which is the lowest price, that gives
range and altitude, but have been very disappointed in the
performance. My experience is that the altitude and range of aircraft
it is reporting are constantly changing drastically.
Old February 25th 04, 06:12 AM
Darrel Toepfer

FISHnFLY wrote:

Has anyone flown with any of these new "portable tcas" devices? I
recently got a Monroy ATD-300, which is the lowest price, that gives
range and altitude, but have been very disappointed in the
performance. My experience is that the altitude and range of aircraft
it is reporting are constantly changing drastically.

Thats sad news, I've been interested in the purchase of that model,
mainly because of its "best deal" pricing as well...
Old February 25th 04, 03:32 PM
James M. Knox

(FISHnFLY) wrote in
om:

Has anyone flown with any of these new "portable tcas" devices? I
recently got a Monroy ATD-300, which is the lowest price, that gives
range and altitude, but have been very disappointed in the
performance. My experience is that the altitude and range of aircraft
it is reporting are constantly changing drastically.

I haven't had a chance yet to put an ATD-300 through it's paces, nor to
compare it to the latest new crop that have come out in the last few
months. I do have an ATD-200 in my plane and find it somewhere between
useful and toy. Toy, because it probably only identifies about 30% of
the traffic in a useful fashion (has a habit of not lighting up until
the traffic has passed G). Useful, because it sometimes does alert me
to look for traffic out in the boonies, when there hasn't been another
aircraft within 100 nm for the last 2 hours (hard to keep a good scan
going under those conditions). A large percentage of the time it gives
false alarms.

None of these are going to give you anything more than a very loose idea
of range. Any appearance of good range information is a lie -- a big
smoothing algorithm that makes it look like good data, but still may be
grossly inaccurate.

The older units did NOT do a real decode on altitude and hence might
trigger on a jet 30,000 feet above you, and fail to detect a '172 flying
200 feet below. The newer ones are supposed to pick up the transponder
altitude, but probably have trouble keeping it matched to the
appropriate target. [I develop algorithms for the military to track
airborne threat targets and it can get complicated.] Does it vary the
altitude substantially when you are pretty sure there is only one threat
nearby?

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721

Old February 25th 04, 04:19 PM
Darrel Toepfer

James M. Knox wrote:

I haven't had a chance yet to put an ATD-300 through it's paces, nor to
compare it to the latest new crop that have come out in the last few
months. I do have an ATD-200 in my plane and find it somewhere between
useful and toy. Toy, because it probably only identifies about 30% of
the traffic in a useful fashion (has a habit of not lighting up until
the traffic has passed G). Useful, because it sometimes does alert me
to look for traffic out in the boonies, when there hasn't been another
aircraft within 100 nm for the last 2 hours (hard to keep a good scan
going under those conditions). A large percentage of the time it gives
false alarms.

Are you using the included antenna or an external one?

I like the fact that the new model allows you to check your own
equipments ouputted signals...

None of these are going to give you anything more than a very loose idea
of range. Any appearance of good range information is a lie -- a big
smoothing algorithm that makes it look like good data, but still may be
grossly inaccurate.

The older units did NOT do a real decode on altitude and hence might
trigger on a jet 30,000 feet above you, and fail to detect a '172 flying
200 feet below. The newer ones are supposed to pick up the transponder
altitude, but probably have trouble keeping it matched to the
appropriate target. [I develop algorithms for the military to track
airborne threat targets and it can get complicated.] Does it vary the
altitude substantially when you are pretty sure there is only one threat
nearby?

I'm sure the plane itself will always act as a shield, depending on
where the target aircraft might be located...
Old February 26th 04, 02:01 AM
CriticalMass

James M. Knox wrote:

I do have an ATD-200 in my plane and find it somewhere between
useful and toy. Toy, because it probably only identifies about 30% of
the traffic in a useful fashion (has a habit of not lighting up until
the traffic has passed G). Useful, because it sometimes does alert me
to look for traffic out in the boonies, when there hasn't been another
aircraft within 100 nm for the last 2 hours (hard to keep a good scan
going under those conditions). A large percentage of the time it gives
false alarms.

That just about NAILS it for what mine does for me.

I'm starting to get curious about what the newer ones can do, but to act
on that curiosity, I need to sell my ATD-200.

If anyone's interested, email me. I'd sacrifice it for $250 plus shipping.

Old February 26th 04, 03:06 AM
FISHnFLY

I couldn't speak for the 200 model to be honest with you. The model I
got is the ATD-300. I watched it closely for a while and it was very
hard to understand what it was tracking. The NM half would show
anywhere between 5 to 0 and the altitude would jump around a lot. At
times it would appear to be functioning correctly, but then it would
my transponder it appears to settle down a bit. It may be having a
hard time trying to hear my transponder, but I can't tell for sure.
At one point I watched a twin Cessna fly within a half mile of me and
about 200-400 feet above me, but the only thing I got on the display
was that it was somewhere between 4 miles and 0 miles and above me 100
feet, then it would report below me 300, then show *my* altitude with
no range. Most of the time the range would change from 4 or 5 miles
to 0-1 miles within 5 to maybe 10 seconds. I think the ATD-300 is the
lest expensive out there, doesn't appear to be very accurate in WHAT
it displays.

"James M. Knox" wrote in message ...
(FISHnFLY) wrote in
om:

Old February 26th 04, 05:57 AM
Brian Sponcil

Indeed sad. I've been interested in an extra set of "eyes" ever since what
initially appeared to be a bird turned into a mooney faster than you can say
Ovation Dx. I can't tell you how many times I've watched planes fly by me
without a peep from flight following.

Anyone had experience with the SureCheck RX series transponder detectors?

I guess I'll have to just buck up and get a mode-s transponder w/MFD.

-Brian

"Darrel Toepfer" wrote in message
.. .

Old February 26th 04, 03:29 PM
James M. Knox

Darrel Toepfer wrote in
:

Are you using the included antenna or an external one?

I'm using the included antenna still. There is no doubt that a dual
(high-low) antenna would be a big help. However, I often see the threat
aircraft pass directly in front of my plane and nothing from the ATD
until it is well past. The ATD antenna had a clear view - so I suspect
the problem is more with shadowing of the transmitting antenna.
Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done about this on the ATD-
equipped aircraft.

I like the fact that the new model allows you to check your own
equipments ouputted signals...

True. Even the ATD-200 had a light to alert you that you were
responding to a ping. And my GPS tells me what my xpndr encoder is
saying. That still leaves faults in the xpndr itself (transmitting
false information) but not a big problem.

I'm sure the plane itself will always act as a shield, depending on
where the target aircraft might be located...

True. I know aircraft with Skywatch installed, complete with the top
and bottom antennas. That's a $20K+ system, and still they see aircraft
"appear and disappear" in certain quadrants. Heck, even ATC (which
typically has a better geometry) will see aircraft drop the Mode-C when
the plane is turning, or when some other part of the plane intervenes.
That could be fixed with a more sophisticated xpndr system, but no one
is going to propose that much money to upgrade the entire fleet.

Old February 26th 04, 04:36 PM
Darrel Toepfer

James M. Knox wrote:
Darrel Toepfer wrote:

Are you using the included antenna or an external one?

I'm using the included antenna still. There is no doubt that a dual
(high-low) antenna would be a big help. However, I often see the threat
aircraft pass directly in front of my plane and nothing from the ATD
until it is well past. The ATD antenna had a clear view - so I suspect
the problem is more with shadowing of the transmitting antenna.
Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done about this on the ATD-
equipped aircraft.

But did they have a working transponder? g

Thanks for the reply...