annual interruptus

Old February 24th 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave[_3_]

Default annual interruptus

Ummm... what if we save enough to pay OURSELVES?

At 59?

Dave (60 days away, and "nothing " is not the plan)

On 22 Feb 2007 17:23:13 -0800, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Jay, go spend a week in a classroom and then say teachers shouldn't be
able to retire with 30 years at full pension. The average life
expectancy of a teacher is 5 years in the classroom.

Why should we pay any young person to sit around doing nothing?
Nowadays, 55 is YOUNG -- VERY young -- and there is simply no way to
make paying every 55 year old to sit around doing nothing work,
mathematically.

Unless you've found some new actuarial tool that I've never seen.

Old February 24th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
The Visitor

Jay Honeck wrote:

Things sure have changed since I was born in '58.

Ha! You're an old man. I was born in 59.

As for retirement, nobody retires. They just change gigs and say they
are retired, but keep earning money one way or another. It's what keeps
you young.

John

Old February 24th 07, 07:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

1st- She was in her second year teaching. 1 year after my son was in her
class he got married and pregnant and stayed home with her new baby.
Hasn't returned to teaching.

If HE got married and pregnant, HE wouldn't have ever worked a day in HIS
life again. HE would be able to write a book on how HE got pregnant and
retired very wealthy.

Jim

Old February 24th 07, 08:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Montblack

("RST Engineering" wrote)
HE would be able to write a book on how HE got pregnant and retired very
wealthy.

[Book excerpts]

"When a man and a woman love each other very, very much..."

"Beer belly?"
"Nope, preggers."

"C-Section?"
"Nope. Natural birth."
"Um, ...WHY?"
"I heard it gets a little bigger afterwards."

"When the doctor offers to have you cut the cord, please cut ONLY the cord."

"That's your focal point???"
"Yeah. What's wrong with it?"
"It's a football game!"
"Better still, I've got my contractions timed to the commercials."

"Oh look, it's all purple, and shriveled, and gooey."
"What, the baby?"
"Yes, what did you think I meant?"

Montblack :-)

Old February 24th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Masino

Ross wrote:
Jay Masino wrote:
Jay Honeck wrote:

Anyway, the point is that no 55 year-old person should be
contemplating "retirement" in 2007.

That's weird, I'm only 44 and not a day goes by where I don't
contemplate retirement. I'm pretty sure I won't work past 59 1/2 (401K
withdraw age) unless I get some airport related "retirement job".

--- Jay

Curious, what is your plans for insurance? However, you are only 44 and
a lot can change. I am 61 and that is a concern. My company has good
insurance plan. It would be costly to retire, but I am ready.

--

Jay Masino "Home is where My critters are"
http://www.JayMasino.com
Old February 26th 07, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger[_4_]

wrote:

Jay, go spend a week in a classroom and then say teachers shouldn't be
able to retire with 30 years at full pension. The average life
expectancy of a teacher is 5 years in the classroom.

Why should we pay any young person to sit around doing nothing?
Nowadays, 55 is YOUNG -- VERY young -- and there is simply no way to
make paying every 55 year old to sit around doing nothing work,
mathematically.

Unless you've found some new actuarial tool that I've never seen.

Keem them young people working to support us retired ones. BTW, had I
not gone back to college I'd have had enough time in to take full
returement at just over 52 working in the chemical industry.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old February 26th 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601XL Builder

RST Engineering wrote:
1st- She was in her second year teaching. 1 year after my son was in
her class he got married and pregnant and stayed home with her new
baby. Hasn't returned to teaching.

If HE got married and pregnant, HE wouldn't have ever worked a day in
HIS life again. HE would be able to write a book on how HE got
pregnant and retired very wealthy.

Jim

That "S" key is so far over to the left of the keyboard I forget about it
some times.

Old February 26th 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

BTW, had I
not gone back to college I'd have had enough time in to take full
returement at just over 52 working in the chemical industry.

I doubt those types of retirement plans will be around much longer.
(Well, except for our ruling class, of course.)

Medically, there is no justification for them, and actuarily, they
can't be sustained.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 28th 07, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger[_4_]

On 19 Feb 2007 05:17:40 -0800, "Denny" wrote:

Well, Fat Albert still sits on jacks at Steve's shop... Not much
happening... The vaunted new engine hoses have yet to arrive despite
being paid for in advance...

The #1 radio was sent out to the radio shop - the King KI-214 VOR
heading had suddenly gone off about 12 degrees - though the ILS was
working right... He started out mumbling about some tuning capacitors
that change value, but what he found was a dirty pot in the KI-214...
He was able to spray it with cleaner and get it working again... He
left it on the test bench over night and it held alignment... But,
says he can't get certified replacement pots any more so if it goes
out again the 214 is junk... Having spent part of my life in
industrial electronics I have no doubt I can install a pot of the
proper value and taper... The problem is it won't be certified if I do
and the radio shop will refuse to align it with an uncertified pot...
sigh

The #3 radio was tuning erratically... We decided to look at it
ourselves before sending it out... Found the kilocycle tune knob was
turning on the shaft at times... Managed to take the fancy, schmancy
knob with it's ultra tech wedge screw mechanism apart and repair it...
So, that is good to go now...
: Note to manufacturer: Ya know, a simple set screw has worked for 80
+ years, why get complicated?

So, on to week #3... "I wanna go flying!" sob, sob

Which reminds me, I have a few photos of "Albert" at one of EAA
Chapter 1093's pancake breakfasts. The files are pretty big to e-mail.

denny

Out of annual.... A Lieberman Owning 7 October 31st 05 02:47 AM
After Annual ... [email protected] Piloting 22 August 18th 05 05:24 AM
My Annual Charles Talleyrand Owning 34 July 28th 05 01:17 PM
Off I go to help with my first annual on my C-150 NW_PILOT Owning 22 October 26th 04 11:39 PM
In for Annual Jim Weir Piloting 0 August 5th 04 07:06 PM