Bose comes through for my Christmas too! (was "Present from Bose!")

Old December 24th 03, 01:09 AM
Montblack

My brother and I bought a CopCar (one word) at a Minnesota Highway Patrol
auction a few years ago - out at MSP.

Very strange buying experience. They drive em in, one at a time, and you bid,
then they drive it out. I bet there were over 75 cars that were up for bid that
morning. At 90 seconds per transaction that's about 2 hours. Sounds about right
:-)

(1997) We bought a 1996 Crown Vic (w/102K miles) for $4,500. It lasted for 4
years until it got totaled. Insurance settled at $5,500. Car had 170K on it at
the time of its demise ... under $1,000 total repairs put into it - includes
tires.

My brother came out pretty close to even - after 4 years, and 70K miles of
driving.

--
Montblack
http://lumma.de/mt/archives/bart.gif

("Aviv Hod" wrote)
You should try a Crown Victoria next time. I have a 93' that was 'gently'
used by the Iowa State Patrol for 3 years and 90,000 miles, and seven years
later has 164,000 miles with nary a hickup to the core drivetrain. Very
minor rust. The cabbies run these things to 300,000 miles, rebuild, then
run another 300,000 miles. They have truly outstanding engineering and
should get more respect.

Of course, the best part is that I've got a cop motor, cop shocks, cop
tires, and it's easy to drive in the dark while wearing sunglasses :-)

Old December 24th 03, 02:52 AM
David Lesher

Cub Driver writes:

I sold my Immortal Accord last August. It was 13 years old and had
never had a repair to the core vehicle (excluding air conditioner,
cruise control, and exhaust system--the last being expendable items in
New Hampshire). Not did it have any rust-through. I was really sorry
to see it go, but I feared it would suddenly dump me on the asphalt
with no car around me. Except for its sibling the Civic (which lasted
10 years) I had never before owned an automobile past its sixth
anniversay, nor one that didn't require major surgery somewhere along
the line.

My Son of Dat 210 has about 250K, I guess. It's old enough to vote
even without the 26th Amendment.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old December 24th 03, 05:14 AM
Mike O'Malley

"Aviv Hod" . com wrote in
message ...
10 years) I had never before owned an automobile past its sixth
anniversay, nor one that didn't require major surgery somewhere along
the line.

You should try a Crown Victoria next time. I have a 93' that was 'gently'
used by the Iowa State Patrol for 3 years and 90,000 miles, and seven years
later has 164,000 miles with nary a hickup to the core drivetrain. Very
minor rust. The cabbies run these things to 300,000 miles, rebuild, then
run another 300,000 miles. They have truly outstanding engineering and
should get more respect.

Of course, the best part is that I've got a cop motor, cop shocks, cop
tires, and it's easy to drive in the dark while wearing sunglasses :-)

-Aviv

That wasn't an old Mount Prospect police car, was it?