more reasons for GA: John Gilmo I was ejected from a plane for wearing "Suspected Terrorist" button

Old July 21st 03, 03:58 PM
C J Campbell

"Big John" wrote in message

| Is BA a 'common carrier' and what are the rules for common carriers?
|
| If BA is a 'common carrier' what difference who owns it?

British Airways is a common carrier, meaning that it holds itself out to
carry passengers and property for hire. It does not mean that British
Airways is community property. After all, a guy who offers to carry loads of
hay with his horse and wagon is a common carrier. Being a common carrier is
no different than any other type of business. Are you saying that just
because someone is a common carrier that he has no right to control over his
personal property?

Old July 21st 03, 05:46 PM
Gene Seibel

Because it's going to take a lot longer than two years to undo the
years of liberal political correctness that says we can't make
judgements about right and wrong, so therefore we must consider
everyone right or everyone wrong.
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

I had a Top Secret clearance while on active duty (now honorably
retired), was Project Officer on the Air to Air nuclear rocket and sat
alert with same, I was trusted with a finger on the trigger. I also
have passed the requirements (FBI investigation into my background)
for a gun carry permit here in TX.

I also voted for George Bush.

Why am I treated like a terrorist each time I fly commercial?

Big John

Old July 21st 03, 06:12 PM
Big John

CJ

Not sure what is legal or not.

If I run a restaurant offering food to the public and I don't permit a
ethnic group to use my facility, will the Govt do anything? Even if
the group are doing high fives, playing their "Boom Boxes" at high
volume and other disruptive things that prevent the rest of the
customers from eating their meals. If I kick them out what happens.

If I go to the airport and buy a ticket on a 'common carrier' can I
say (In lobby or in aircraft) that I don't think GW is a good
president and should be taken out and hanged for the things he is
doing I see every day in the paper, cartoons of GW that I wouldn't
let my young daughter see. If fact just reported today that a cartoon
in CA shows GW being assassinated. Where do you draw the line? Can I
take that cartoon on a flight pined to my coat (free speach)

Since Gilmore didn't run up and down the isle crying out "look at my
button" (didn't cry fire) what is the problem with people in the world
today? I've said before on the thread that I feel like a terrorist
every time I go to fly and have to go through the over reacting check
in.

I carry pen and pencils and credit cards on all of my flights. I met
with my US Representative and demonstrated that the pens and pencils
were deadly weapons and I could kill someone with a stroke of either.
I also demonstrated that I could cut the throat of an individual with
a credit card (basic special forces training). All we have are knee
jerks fueled by the media which is only interested in the bottom line,
not security in the USA.

Long rant. It's hard to put up with idiots and fools.

Big John

CJ. Sorry I tied this rant to your posting to my post. If you don't
agree, please accept my appoligies.

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 07:58:23 -0700, "C J Campbell"
wrote:

.. .

Old July 21st 03, 07:16 PM
Ron McKinnon

"lardsoup" wrote in message
Please point out where it says democracy in the constitution.

The USA is a democratic republic at this point. A representative
democracy. Democracy is about how the decisions are made, or the
government is chosen; a republic is one of the forms such a government

can
take.

It is irrelevant whether the US Constitution explicity 'says democracy' to
whether in fact it is one.

The constitution does specify, however, (Artidcle I, Section 2, Clause 1)
that "The House of Representatives shall be composed of Members chosen every
second Year by the People of the several States ...", and for the other
house of the legislative branch, the Senate, which "shall be composed of two
Senators from each State, chosen by the Legislature thereof" (Article I,
Section 3, Clause 1). This looks pretty representative-democracy-ish to
me.

Old July 21st 03, 10:05 PM
Captain Wubba

To his *credit*? He was acting like a jackass, and you think it was to
his *credit* that he didn't resist against obviously overwhelming
force when he was booted off the plane for being a jackass? He simply
decided he didn't want to see the inside of a jail. So essentially, he
'believed' in his cause enough to cause consternation for others and
to disobey the captain of the airliner, but lacked the stones to go to
jail for his beliefs. His call...but hardly anything worthy of
admiration.

A remarkable number of Americans seem to think that because they think
they *should* have the right to do something means that they *should*
so that thing. Given the current sensitivity, I think most passengers
would be a bit concerned seeing somebody saunter down to the lav
wearing a button saying 'suspected terrorist'. Is he really a
suspected terrorist? Is he being transported on this plane? If he is,
where are his keepers? Why should the 'rights' of a self-aggrandizing
fool to yelp 'it's sort of a fire!' in a theater trump the rights of
the passengers (many of whom are naturally fearful of flying) to have
a flight that is not unnecessarily fear-inducing?

Obviously BA had the right to boot him. In fact, he agreed to that
right when he purchased a ticket. That isn't in doubt. But what I find
ironic is that this moron is acting like the wounded party because he
didn't get to exercise his 'right' to call attention to himself and
make other people feel uncomfortable. His 'Hey! Look at me! I'm being
clever! LOOK AT ME!' is a pethetic example of the histrionic tendency
that many (often otherwise worthless) people have developed....I guess
if you don't do anything worthy of note, if you can get enough people
to look at you, then that's close enough.

Pathetic.

"C J Campbell" wrote in message ...
"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in message
et...

| He was wearing a BUTTON, for god's sake. A while ago someone was kicked
out
| of a mall for wearing a t-shirt that expressed an anti-war opinion. In
each
| of these cases, could the respective parties force the patrons to leave?
| Sure, they could and they did. However, I wonder what we have come to
when
| this happens, when many of us are so intollerant of differing opinions.
Who
| does this remind me of? Are we becoming extremists in our thinking too?

That is a whole different issue.

While I would say that British Airways has a right to be intolerant of
divergent political opinions, I would also say that their actions exhibit an
extremist point of view. I think their actions also do their business more
harm than good.

To Mr. Gilmore's credit, he does not appear to have resisted being taken off
the airplane. His threat to sue is another matter, since that involves
government enforcement. If Mr. Gilmore had not threatened to sue the airline
I would not have a problem with anything he did. That does not meant that I
agree with his point of view. It does mean that I would not have a problem
with the way that he expressed.

Old July 21st 03, 10:42 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Peter Duniho wrote:

I doubt that too. Not in Chicago. And no politician in their right mind
would have tried something like that anywhere else.

The mayor of Atlantic City did exactly the same thing about 10 years ago, only
he tore up a taxiway. The first thing anyone knew about it was when someone
got a prop strike taxiing into the damaged area.

George Patterson
The optimist feels that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist is afraid that he's correct.
James Branch Cavel
Old July 21st 03, 10:52 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Peter Gottlieb wrote:

A while ago someone was kicked out
of a mall for wearing a t-shirt that expressed an anti-war opinion.

No, he and his son were kicked out for bothering the other customers. If he'd
kept his mouth shut, nobody would have cared about his shirt.

Old July 21st 03, 11:57 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Peter Gottlieb wrote:

The only ones it "disturbed" was some crewmembers.

Fine. It doesn't pay to disturb people who have the right to kick you off
the plane. And it *really* doesn't pay to tell them where to go when they
try to be reasonable about it.

Old July 22nd 03, 01:58 AM
Peter Duniho

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message
The mayor of Atlantic City did exactly the same thing about 10 years ago,

only
he tore up a taxiway.

If I recall, that airport is still open and the taxiway is repaired. I'd
argue that politician wasn't in his right mind.

Old July 22nd 03, 03:04 AM
Peter Gottlieb

Lose-lose situation. Any time a business which is starved for customers
kicks one out it is not good.