16R on National Geographic High Definition

Old December 26th 06, 08:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

Default 16R on National Geographic High Definition

It's on currently at 3:00 At and again this afternoon at 4:00.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old December 26th 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Kraus

It has also been on Discover Channel High Definition Theater off and on
all day on Christmas.

Jon

Old December 28th 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Stadt

"Jon Kraus" wrote in message
I bought the DVD when it first came out and thought the same thing. It is
well put together but nothing to soil my boxers over...

Jon

The photography was great but what story there was, was extremely lame.

Old December 28th 06, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Travis Marlatte

Ah yes. The story of the survival of an airport, the freedom of flight, the
shear joy of soaring where few men can soar, of man and machine, the beauty
of just pure machine, of the dedication of so many people to the act of
flying and an infrustructure to support it...

Yawn.

--
-------------------------------
Travis
"Dave Stadt" wrote in message
om...

Old December 28th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roy Smith

In article ,
"Dave Stadt" wrote:

"Jon Kraus" wrote in message
I bought the DVD when it first came out and thought the same thing. It is
well put together but nothing to soil my boxers over...

Jon

The photography was great but what story there was, was extremely lame.

Story? There was a story? Enjoy the movie for what it is -- a feel-good
photo essay on video. If you expect any more of it, you'll be disappointed.
Old December 29th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bravo Two Zero

When I read quotes like "One Six Right captures the spirit, joy and beauty
of flight. One of the finest aviation films ever made" - I thought to myself
that I have to see this.

"One of the finest aviation films ever made" - I don't think so. Sure a
couple of the flying scenes were well filmed, in some cases it probably
showed the same aircraft too many times, there was not enought footage of
the Pitts.

And.... they want you to pay more $$$ for the 16L DVD in order to see 'extra
footage' that probably should have been on the original 16L DVD.

I am all in favor of a good aviation movie but "The story of the survival of
an airport" - yeah one used by the rich and famous but what about Meigs and
the other airports under daily threat.

B2B

Old December 30th 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
OP

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 21:06:07 -0700, "Bravo Two Zero"
wrote:

When I read quotes like "One Six Right captures the spirit, joy and beauty
of flight. One of the finest aviation films ever made" - I thought to myself
that I have to see this.

"One of the finest aviation films ever made" - I don't think so. Sure a
couple of the flying scenes were well filmed, in some cases it probably
showed the same aircraft too many times, there was not enought footage of
the Pitts.

I agree the Pitts is a beautiful aircraft and exciting in flight,
but there are other airplanes that equally excite other people.
Given the time constraints of the DVD, they couldn't please everyone
completely so it appears they tried for the best they could do under
the circumstances.

And.... they want you to pay more $$$ for the 16L DVD in order to see 'extra
footage' that probably should have been on the original 16L DVD.

They are not the first to do this and won't be the last.

I am all in favor of a good aviation movie but "The story of the survival of
an airport" - yeah one used by the rich and famous but what about Meigs and
the other airports under daily threat.

I have to disagree a little here. I fly out of VNY and am neither
rich nor famous. The same goes for all the pilots I have come in
contact with there. Sure there are some pretty expensive aircraft
hangared there, and a few "names" one might recognize, but we saw
almost all of them in the film. The vast majority of activity there
is your typical Wichita Spam Can.... FBO trainers, rental fleet,
club and privately owned. The next most active are the charter
operators and corporate types of the turbine crowd. Then there are
the helicopter operations. Mostly the piston crowd (Robinson R22
and R44 and a few Hughes 300's), and the turbine operations of the
Fire Department and a some of the TV stations. Last come the rich
and famous.

As long as I have been flying there, (including long before the DVD
came out) I always get a special thrill when lining up on 16R. I
feel the DVD is not so much a story but an expression of the film
makers effort to portray to the public in general, the joy of
flight. Worked for me.

Ron

Old December 30th 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

As long as I have been flying there, (including long before the DVD
came out) I always get a special thrill when lining up on 16R. I
feel the DVD is not so much a story but an expression of the film
makers effort to portray to the public in general, the joy of
flight. Worked for me.

Amen, brother.

When we showed "One Six Right" on Movie Night at the Inn, people
applauded. It's a fantastic film, full of joy, sadness, and the thrill
of flight, with beautiful aerial footage and music to boot.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 31st 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Bravo Two Zero" wrote in message ...
:
: I am all in favor of a good aviation movie but "The story of the survival of
: an airport" - yeah one used by the rich and famous but what about Meigs and
: the other airports under daily threat.
:
: B2B
:
:
:

Well, I guess you had to actually see 16R to answer that question...