cost of ownership

Old May 27th 04, 03:55 PM
Dave Butler

Ben Jackson wrote:

The club paying for insurance is huge. Commercial insurance can easily
cost 3-4x the personal/business policy. That's also what makes it
impractical to let your airplane be used a "little" for instruction.
The insurance is so high you need a year's worth of solid revenues to
offset it.

When you say "club paying" you have to realize it is the end users that
ultimately pay the price. The cost of insurance has to be passed on to the end
users in some way, either in the hourly rate or in the monthly price of access
to the aircraft. I think it makes more sense to price it in the monthly rate, in
this case, club dues.

Old May 27th 04, 03:57 PM
Dave Butler

Richard Kaplan wrote:
"Dave Butler" wrote in message

Yes. I overhauled the engine twice during my tenure of ownership. One

field

Well that might be a good argument in favor of leaseback. Most
single-pilot airplanes probably reach TBO by calendar hours way before they
reach TBO by tach hours. Getting revenue to support regular engine
overhauls is a big plus -- I would much rather fly IFR behind an engine new
by calendar hours than an engine low on tach hours but high on calendar
hours.

I agree but I hadn't thought of it as an advantage. Thanks for the insight.

Dave
Remove SHIRT to reply directly.

Old May 28th 04, 07:43 AM
Jeff

you dont have to work hard at flying over 100 hrs a year, you only need to find
reasons to go places besides just to fly.

I tell my wife, you want to go somewhere for any reason just let me know, she
she finds horse shows, dog shows, stores to shop at and so on I can fly her to.
Its easy to get over 100 hours when you fly the wife around.

Steven Barnes wrote:

I'd have to work pretty hard to
get over 100 hours per year. (but what fun...)

Old May 28th 04, 07:46 AM
Jeff

I fly well over 100 hours a year, mostly to california and arizona and usually
taking the wife to horse and dog shows.

Richard Kaplan wrote:

"Do you fly more than 100 hours per year in your airplane? If so, you are an
exception. How many pilots here fly a C172-class airplane over 100 hours
per year?

Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old May 28th 04, 11:58 AM
Rosspilot

If you want to fly 100+ hours per year, make flying an integral part of your
business. It works real well :-)

www.Rosspilot.com