control cable questions

Old May 9th 08, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

Default control cable questions

"Gig 601Xl Builder" wrote in message
m...

I decided the guy in the right seat didn't need brakes because I didn't
want to go to the hassle of a dual set up. I am going to add a parking
brake though.

Were I to do it over again, I would delete the parking brake. I nine years,
I found little or no use for it. Wasted space and weight IMHO. I am glad I
put in brakes on both sides, though. When the day comes I need to sell it
(sob) I will want to be able to let the prospective buyer have brakes for
his pre-buy flights. When I bought my first Emeraude, there were no brakes
on the right and I was never able to get good taxi and landing practice. My
first flight on the left (after handing over the check) was very dicey as I
found I had inadequate room to operate the pedals on that side. The seller
had to take over in the middle of the takeoff 'cuz I was headed for the FBO.

For a dual setup, I built it with four master cylinders. I would instead use
two cylinders and link the toe brakes together mechanically.

Mrs. Murphy said, as she kissed the cow, "Each to his/her own liking".

Rich S.

Old May 9th 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Default now brakes

Dick wrote:
Respectfully, I'm not sure that heat is a problem: as long as the
reservoir is mounted away from exhaust pipes and oil cooler discharge, and
if necessary, could do some shielding like for gascolators or air duct like
those directed on magnetos.

I'd like to hear where others have a master reservoir located....

He has a removable top cowl skin between the firewall and instrument panel
for access to fuel tank and back of panel. Having the same removable skin on
my 601, it is easier to access my Matco rudder mounted brake units thru a
floor access panel. Each annual when I check the fluid level at the pedal
units and still pull the top skin to check instrument connections, hoses,
wiring, filters, I think how nice it would be to have an easily accessible
remote master reservoirG, hence the firewall aft side thought .

Dick wrote:

He also decided not to have right seat brakes but I was wondering what you
thought of the brake master reservoir on the firewall idea (so he doesn't
have to crawl inside and under the panel)?
Also what kind of parking brake are you thinking about?

If you are talking about putting the brake master reservoir on the

engine side of the firewall, I don't like the idea. First, you have the
additional hole in the firewall, then you have the heat issue.

If you are talking about putting the reservoir on the inside of the
firewall I don't see what is gained.

(bottom posting - even though it messes with the flow...)

I've always forud that the remote version was easier (and a lot neater!)
to bleed. Might have a higher capacity of fludi too, if built that way.

On the other hand, they are heavier, and have more opportunity to leak.

Ya pays yer money and takes yer choice...

Richard
--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne