new tire

Old September 22nd 03, 06:06 PM
Hankal

Default new tire

What is the easiest way to brake the bead on a 600x6 tire.
Old September 22nd 03, 06:37 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Hankal wrote:

What is the easiest way to brake the bead on a 600x6 tire.

Put the wheel on a bench, place one end of a piece of 1x2 lumber on the tire
next to the wheel, and beat on the other end with a medium size hammer. If you
don't have access to a bench, a plank will do; just don't put the wheel on a
hard surface.

Another good method is to place the wheel under part of your car, put the base
of a hydraulic jack on the tire next to the wheel, and attempt to jack up the
car. Do *not* succeed at jacking up the car!

George Patterson
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that cannot
be learned any other way. Samuel Clemens
Old September 22nd 03, 11:34 PM
Michelle P

A large bolt in a drill press (not turning) is fairly effective. Use the
head end next to the rim.

Michelle

--

Michelle P CP-ASMEL-IA, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Old September 22nd 03, 11:56 PM
Ron Natalie

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message .com...
I can verify that this procedure works with other model Cessnas also.

It won't work with a Cardinal or later 210's.

Old September 23rd 03, 12:01 AM
Bob Noel

In article , "Dave
Stadt" wrote:

I can verify that this procedure works with other model Cessnas also.

and piper wheels.

1. I remove the valve core (deflate the tire)

2. I place the wheel flat on the cement hangar floor under the wing of
my 182.

3. I hang onto the wing strut to keep from falling over

4. I place my feet radially outward from the center of the wheel such
that my heels are together right at the wheel rim.

5. My 205 lbs is usually enough to force the tire bead downward off
the rim. Sometimes, I have to alternate putting all my weight first
on one heel and then the other.

6. Turn the wheel over and do the other side.

7. Remove the bolts holding the wheel halves together.

--
Bob Noel
Old September 23rd 03, 04:35 AM
Dave Stadt

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message

.com...
I can verify that this procedure works with other model Cessnas also.

It won't work with a Cardinal or later 210's.

Yep, you will have to borrow the neighbors 172.