Student Pilot at 50

Old March 14th 04, 12:58 AM
Doug

So if you start at age 50, you will be 51 or so when you get your
pilot certificate. How old will you be a year from now if you DON'T
get your pilot certificate?

"TF" wrote in message ...
Sound like alot of wisdom in this newsgroup would appreciate the same about
what my prospects can be starting at 50. Flight has always been a lure for
me (father in the business, avid flight sim user etc etc) Now that I can
financially afford to do the real thing (well lets say ~ $7,000/year
afford). I haven't looked beyond the adventure of just getting a PPL but
I'm still dreaming. Possible scenarios ? Bring me back to earth ?

AARP Student Pilot (that card came in the mail on my birthday)

Old March 14th 04, 03:32 AM
Vince

"Ed" wrote in message
. com...
My CFI is 79. He teaches aerobatics in a Decathlon.

"TF" wrote in message
Sound like alot of wisdom in this newsgroup would appreciate the same

about
what my prospects can be starting at 50.

Like they all said... do it! In 1999 I started at age 67 and got my

Instrument ticket in 2002. Go for it!

Vince

Old March 14th 04, 04:34 AM
David J

Tf,

I started at age 45 last August 27. Trained at least 2 times a week to
rebuild my coordination and keep the rust off. Took my checkride FRIDAY Feb
13, 2004. Now at age 46 am glad I started, stayed with it and got my PPL.
I am still learning but enjoying every minute of it. This is a great group
as well as rec.aviation.student. Go For It.

David James
PP-ASEL

Old March 14th 04, 05:48 AM
Michelle P

go for it!
Most peoples limitations are only in the minds.
Michelle

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Old March 14th 04, 09:19 AM
Cockpit Colin

This might help answer you question

http://planenews.com/article849.html

Old March 14th 04, 11:47 AM
Cub Driver

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 22:32:30 -0500, "Vince"
wrote:

Like they all said... do it! In 1999 I started at age 67 and got my
Instrument ticket in 2002. Go for it!

We should form a club. I started same year, same age, though I settled
for a recreational cert.

It was definitely the case that my ground school was filled with
Dreams Deferred people. My guess is that the average age was 49 or 50.
We had two high-school kids who looked as if they'd wandered into the
wrong party; everyone else had a story to tell. Most had taken a few
lessons 20 or 30 years earlier and given up because of family or job
commitments. Others of us hadn't even gotten that far with the
project.

1999 of course was the top of the market, before the bubble burst. We
were all fat, rich, and happy in 1999.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (requires authentication)

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old March 14th 04, 10:58 PM
Cecil E. Chapman

Just do it... Nothing like the left seat and age is not a factor as long as
you have reasonably good health and coordination! Pick up the phone and
set-up a discovery flight,,, if you like it,,, there is NOTHING,,, I repeat
NOTHING like the adventure you will start your life on.

Make it so!

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL
Student-IASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

Old March 15th 04, 02:23 PM
JimBob

"TF" wrote in message ...
Sound like alot of wisdom in this newsgroup would appreciate the same about
what my prospects can be starting at 50. Flight has always been a lure for
me (father in the business, avid flight sim user etc etc) Now that I can
financially afford to do the real thing (well lets say ~ $7,000/year
afford). I haven't looked beyond the adventure of just getting a PPL but
I'm still dreaming. Possible scenarios ? Bring me back to earth ?

AARP Student Pilot (that card came in the mail on my birthday)

I obtained my PPL when I was 34 and regretted I didn't start training earlier.
I obtained my IR when I was 47 and regretted I didn't start training earlier.
Whenever I am aloft, I always feel being blessed.
Old March 15th 04, 05:58 PM
Corky Scott

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 10:26:34 -0500, "TF" wrote:

Sound like alot of wisdom in this newsgroup would appreciate the same about
what my prospects can be starting at 50. Flight has always been a lure for
me (father in the business, avid flight sim user etc etc) Now that I can
financially afford to do the real thing (well lets say ~ $7,000/year
afford). I haven't looked beyond the adventure of just getting a PPL but
I'm still dreaming. Possible scenarios ? Bring me back to earth ?

AARP Student Pilot (that card came in the mail on my birthday)

You should go ahead for several reasons: 1. 50 isn't old. I got my
PPL last summer at that 55. 2. If you don't do this but have wanted
to all your life, you'll never forgive yourself.

Corky Scott
Old March 15th 04, 07:54 PM
Cub Driver

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 17:58:48 GMT,