wasp nest in aileron

Old May 7th 04, 06:30 AM
tony roberts

Default wasp nest in aileron

At this time of year the wasps start a nest in my ailerons a couple of
times each week. I'm allergic to wasps so each time that I go out to the
airport I look for the newly started nests and spray them with Raid
flying insect killer. Obviously to do this involves spraying the insect
killer inside the aileron and it just ocurred to me that I don't know
whether or not this stuff is corrosive. Anyone know? Anyone got any
other suggestions for getting rid of them? Flying with them in the wing
is not an option. If the find their way into the cockpit I'm in trouble.

Thanks

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old May 7th 04, 06:42 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
tony roberts wrote:
At this time of year the wasps start a nest in my ailerons a couple of
times each week.

Can you plug the holes with foam? I'd think the accumulation of mud
would be just as bad as the wasp killing spray.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old May 7th 04, 08:36 AM
Pepperoni

They have a Wasp Killer that will shoot a stream 15-20 feet. It not only
kills them instantly, it soaks the nest and remains lethal. I shot some
between some glass windows and it killed them so fast that they didn't even
fall off the nest--- just stayed there like a taxidermy display. (It comes
with a straw for shooting the stream) I don't have the can here, but I
believe it has a petroleum base. Much more effective than the regular bug
spray, produces a sticky foam.
Black can 14oz, about $5

Old May 7th 04, 08:21 PM
Robert A. Barker

Tony:
I am also allergic to wasps and hornets, in fact I was
pronounced d.o.a.at a local hospital many years ago from
the sting of 2 yellow jackets.Needless to say they were
able to revive me and I carry an emergency kit with me
at all times except for winter.
I will be checking the effect of sprays on aluminum
and will let you know what I find out. I have the wing
vents in my Cessna 150 plugged with those plastic curly
scrubbers. Lets the air in but not the bugs.

Bob Barker N8749S

Old May 7th 04, 11:48 PM
Salem Farm & Garden

Tony:

I would be afraid to spray wasp killer on aluminum on a regular basis. Is
the plane close enough to power to suck them out with a shop vac? You could
also hang a couple of pheromone wasp traps around the plane. Good strong
pheromones would seem like a much better time to the wasps than building
nests.

Old May 8th 04, 05:00 AM
Roger Halstead

On Fri, 07 May 2004 19:21:56 GMT, "Robert A. Barker"
wrote:

Tony:
I am also allergic to wasps and hornets, in fact I was
pronounced d.o.a.at a local hospital many years ago from
the sting of 2 yellow jackets.Needless to say they were
able to revive me and I carry an emergency kit with me
at all times except for winter.
I will be checking the effect of sprays on aluminum
and will let you know what I find out. I have the wing
vents in my Cessna 150 plugged with those plastic curly
scrubbers. Lets the air in but not the bugs.

"I think" which means I don't know for sure, but the wasp and hornet
killer is probably more like a shot of WD40 than something damaging.

I make no guarantees, but I haven't found anything corrosive listed on
the can I have here.

I removed over 40 Yellow Jacket nests from my yard last year and even
more the year before.

There are two nests in the ridge vent on the hanger, but I'm getting
ready to plug off that with the mesh filler. Kinda looks like a brillo
pad, but it's not abrasive.

Then on the inside I'm going to use the perforated plastic.

I used to be allergic to the things, but not from the anaphylactic
shock. I just swelled up a lot around the stings. *a whole lot*

5 years of allergy shots have basically eliminated the reaction.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Bob Barker N8749S

Old May 8th 04, 05:14 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Roger Halstead wrote:

I removed over 40 Yellow Jacket nests from my yard last year and even
more the year before.

These are true yellow jackets (that nest in the ground)? Or are they paper wasps? If
the former, what are you using?

George Patterson
If you don't tell lies, you never have to remember what you said.
Old May 9th 04, 06:31 AM
tony roberts

Thanks for all of the advice on this - much appreciated

Tony
--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old May 10th 04, 08:04 AM
Roger Halstead

On Sat, 08 May 2004 16:14:23 GMT, "G.R. Patterson III"
wrote:

Roger Halstead wrote:

I removed over 40 Yellow Jacket nests from my yard last year and even
more the year before.

These are true yellow jackets (that nest in the ground)? Or are they paper wasps? If
the former, what are you using?

When you get this many they nest anywhere they can find.
They like the crawfish holes along the ditch, but they will build
above ground as well. The things are terrible around here.
A few years back my step daughter ran over one of the in ground nests
with the rotary lawn mower. The thing set there running for about 20
minutes (and two cans of spray) before I could move it. You'd have
thought they were trying to protect the lawn mower.

We did have a couple nests of the little ones get under the garage
floor and apron. For some strange reason they'd never bother me, but
they chased one guy down the driveway and went right around me.

We also have wasps, but they look different and aren't quite as bad
tempered.

Two of these guys got me between the shoulder blades and I thought I'd
been hit by a hammer. About 30 seconds later I was well aware it
hadn't been a hammer.

And we also have hornets. Their sting isn't quite so bad and wears
off sooner. Burns like grabbing the end of a cigarette. I haven't
smoked in 25 years, but I still remember.

I used a whole case of "Wasp and Hornet Killer" two years ago. The
stuff that is advertised to shoot 25 feet. (You do need the distance).
The last two years the Local Lowe's outlet has been bringing the stuff
in by the semi load. It sells fast too:-))

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

George Patterson
If you don't tell lies, you never have to remember what you said.

Cub aileron hinges minot piper e Aviation Marketplace 0 October 23rd 04 03:51 AM
FA: M18B Dromader Flap & Aileron BFC Aviation Marketplace 0 September 24th 04 04:29 PM
Zenith 601XL aileron VideoFlyer Home Built 0 June 1st 04 12:35 AM
Need aileron OSKI 3 Owning 0 September 15th 03 07:46 PM
Need Aileron OSKI 3 Aviation Marketplace 0 September 15th 03 07:45 PM