A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

satellite phones

Old April 1st 16, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND
external usenet poster

Default satellite phones

does anyone know of a good low priced prepaid satellite phone? seems like a good thing to have for a mission i have in mind, and the cheapest i'm finding are ^$400. i have something like the "tracfone" of satellite phones in mind.

thanks,

-ND
Old April 2nd 16, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

Default satellite phones

On Friday, April 1, 2016 at 8:13:05 AM UTC-7, ND wrote:
does anyone know of a good low priced prepaid satellite phone? seems like a good thing to have for a mission i have in mind, and the cheapest i'm finding are ^$400. i have something like the "tracfone" of satellite phones in mind.

thanks,

-ND

You have to decide whether you will go with Globalstar or Iridium. Iridium has the best coverage, but (if you are going to the poles) Globalstar would probably be adequate. Here is a monthly Globalstar plan:

http://www.globalstar.com/en/index.php?cid=1250

If you only want to use the phone for a few months out of the year buy the phone outright ($500) and pay the $40 per month. Plans where they say the phone is free it isn't - you pay for it one way or the other. If you do go that route, however, you can send the phone back after a month or so if you don't like it. Iridium plans start at $60 per month:

https://www.satellitephonestore.com/...zxoCkAjw_w cB

The last choice is Inmarsat. They are different than the other two in that they have geostationary satellites. Like Globalstar, they don't provide total global coverage. Like satellite TV, you must have a view of the southern sky, so they won't work in deep valleys or urban canyons. Here are some typical plans (they do require a 12 month contract):

https://www.satellitephonestore.com/.../isatphone-pro

Tom
Old April 6th 16, 12:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew Ainslie
external usenet poster

Default satellite phones

You probably know this but in case you don't... The InReach uses the same technology at a vastly cheaper price. Plus - it's also a tracker. Minus - texts, no speech. Sorry if this is obvious, but I certainly couldn't justify the added cost vs the ability to text.
Old March 23rd 17, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default satellite phones

On Friday, April 1, 2016 at 11:13:05 AM UTC-4, ND wrote:

thanks,

-ND

Telestial offers great options with competitive pricing.

http://www.telestial.com/satellite_phones.php