Only six US OLC flight claims?

Old November 27th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default Only six US OLC flight claims?

On posting my short cross-country flight to the OLC yesterday, I noted
only six claimed for the whole of North America. I find this a bit on
the low side (the whole population of the USA can't have been full of
turkey and out shopping). Did no-one fly yesterday, or are the OLC
posting problems deterring claims?

For late November, it wasn't too bad in Arizona - it's unusual to see
dust devils this close to year's end, though.

Mike

Old November 27th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

18 gliders flying at Santa Ynez, California over the weekend, but the
conditions were not strong enough for significant mileage. Also, the
OLC problems can't be helping participation.

The OLC guys seem to have the website working much better, but now they
have eliminated all flight information from the pages that list all
flights of an individual pilot, and the pages that list the flights of a
club. You get information about the type of glider and even the
N-number, but nothing about the flight itself (other than the date).
Makes it impossible to review a pilot's flights, and you also can't find
detailed information about a specific flight unless you know the exact
date of the flight.

Old November 27th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Six is about the same number as this time last year and suggests that
we've lost a lot of the folks who joined this summer because of the
latest software mess.

Mike

Old November 28th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

"Mike the Strike" wrote in message
ups.com...
Six is about the same number as this time last year and suggests that
we've lost a lot of the folks who joined this summer because of the
latest software mess.

Mike

.... or it implies that many of the gliders belonging to pilots that were
active this summer have gone into hibernation and will reappear in the
spring.

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

Old November 28th 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Mike,
I flew yesterday out of Warner Springs and attempted to post my
measly flight. It hasn't shown up on OLC 24+ hours after the "posting"
.. Most of the time I can't get any flight info out of the website. It
sounds like it may not be operator error just on my end.
Has anyone else posted a flight and not have it show up either? This
was my first post on the new website. Just when I was getting
comfortable with the old one they go and change it! :-)

Dean

Old November 28th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Two more flights have appeared.

Dean, try saving the OLC claim file in SeeYou and uploading that if the
direct claim didn't work. That's what I've found easiest.

Mike

Old November 28th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

On Nov 28, 8:16 am, "Mike the Strike" wrote:
Dean, try saving the OLC claim file in SeeYou and uploading that if the
direct claim didn't work. That's what I've found easiest.

Also, if using the latest version of SeeYou to upload, it appears to
hang and never completes. So far only used it on two flights. In both
cases, I just let the dialog sit there for several minutes, then closed
it. The flights did end up on the OLC.

-Tom

Old November 28th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Greg,
The old aviation saying was "when the paperwork equals the weight of
the airplane, you can go fly." The new saying is "when your time on the
computer trying to get a flight on OLC equals the flight time, you can
submit!"
Thanks for your email tips, and thank you Mike and Tom also.
FYI, I got the SeeYou3.4 update, optimized flight in See You , then
submitted as prepared claim. That seemed to work. Of course, the other
screwup I now see is that is has me flying a Falcon. The handicap is
the same as my DG303 so I am afraid to mess with it any more!

Dean

Old November 29th 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian[_1_]

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 20:52:36 -0800, dnc303 wrote:

Has anyone else posted a flight and not have it show up either? This
was my first post on the new website.

I uploaded a flight from Sunday, last night, an hour and half before the
midnight cut off. Just after I had uploaded it, it was visible, but not
scored. But then it disappeared. I uploaded it again, there was no error,
but no flight.

The trouble with this, is that for every negative report like this on RAS
are 10 pilots who have withdrawn their enthusiasm from the competition. As
much as you get a positive feeling of accomplishment seeing your flight on
the Net, going through the effort of uploading a flight, without it
working and without receiving any decent error message results in a very
negative feeling.

If you look through the news page of the hang glider / paraglider section
of the competition, you will see that they are close to breaking point.

Last year we beat our local rival club in South Africa on the OLC by just
60 points. Our club is encouraging all pilots to post flights. My missing
flight from last night was worth over 200 points and I don't expect it
will get scored now.

These teething issues may be inconvenient for pilots in the Northern
hemisphere, but south of the equator, where we are entering the peak of
the soaring season this is just not fair.

Win or lose, the results are no longer relevant. So why bother?

Ian