Ideas for shipping a fiberglass cowling....

Old December 7th 03, 04:01 AM
Bart D. Hull

Default Ideas for shipping a fiberglass cowling....

I need to get a fiberglass cowling from Williston, FL 32696 to
Tempe, AZ 85283 (Cowling would fit in a 45"W x 40"L x 40"H box.

Forward Air has gone nuts with their shipping rates. (Over $400)
so I'm looking for better ideas.
--
Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
for my Subaru Engine Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
for Tango II I'm building.

Old December 7th 03, 05:42 AM

:
:Forward Air has gone nuts with their shipping rates. (Over $400)
:so I'm looking for better ideas.

Don't know if they still do it, but years ago Greyhound did some
pretty good stuff with freight like that, if you could get it dropped
off and picked up at a station.
Old December 7th 03, 04:01 PM
Charlie England

wrote:

:I need to get a fiberglass cowling from Williston, FL 32696 to
:Tempe, AZ 85283 (Cowling would fit in a 45"W x 40"L x 40"H box.
:
:Forward Air has gone nuts with their shipping rates. (Over $400)
:so I'm looking for better ideas.

Don't know if they still do it, but years ago Greyhound did some
pretty good stuff with freight like that, if you could get it dropped
off and picked up at a station.

If you know someone who regularly ships via freight lines, see if they
will ship it from their dock for you. Large volume shippers get huge
discounts compared to individuals.

Old December 7th 03, 04:04 PM
Charlie England

wrote:

:I need to get a fiberglass cowling from Williston, FL 32696 to
:Tempe, AZ 85283 (Cowling would fit in a 45"W x 40"L x 40"H box.
:
:Forward Air has gone nuts with their shipping rates. (Over $400)
:so I'm looking for better ideas.

Don't know if they still do it, but years ago Greyhound did some
pretty good stuff with freight like that, if you could get it dropped
off and picked up at a station.

Forgot to mention:

If you ship it yourself, make sure the freight line you select goes all
the way from your location to the destination. If it's handed off from
line 'a' to line 'b' in Dallas, your cost just went up a lot.

Old December 7th 03, 09:40 PM
Rich S.

"Charlie England" wrote in message

If you know someone who regularly ships via freight lines, see if they
will ship it from their dock for you. Large volume shippers get huge
discounts compared to individuals.

I'll second that suggestion. I shipped a cowling from Tacoma to Lakeland,
Florida that way. Cost about $100. Friend of mine owns a door mfg. co. Took
it down to his freight dock and it went out the next day.

Rich S.