Emergency landing theoretical

Old May 12th 06, 12:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Emergency landing theoretical

Pete
You hit the nail on the head. Winds in the gorge are often in excess of
50 mph and flow with the current direction 90% of the time. It is a
wide river mostly flowing east to west with some pretty steep terrain
on either side. An interstate runs parallel on the south side, and a
major highway of varying 2-4 lanes on the north as well as the
railroad.
I spoke too quickly in landing direction but most of my potential
landing sites were in steep terrain with a lot of rapids and you sure
didn't want to go downstream like a leaky poorly designed canoe!
Most of the time, if there is a current flowing, I've landed seaplanes
upstream to use the idle speed as a brake for sailing and docking.
Probably more important than current is wind direction except in
special circumstances.
Cheers
Rocky

Old May 12th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Let's assume the wind and current are the same directon. When the wind
speed exceeds the current speed, then the lowest speed relative to the
water is landing with the wind (which is upstream).

Old May 12th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Doug" wrote in message
ups.com...
Let's assume the wind and current are the same directon. When the wind
speed exceeds the current speed, then the lowest speed relative to the
water is landing with the wind (which is upstream).

Most of us use the phrase "with the wind" to describe a downwind direction.
"Into the wind" would be upwind (and upstream).

Assuming you've simply misphrased your statement, and you meant to write
"landing into the wind", then yes, you're correct. A wind in the same
direction of and in excess of the current speed would result in a lower
water speed landing into it, upwind rather than downwind (and upstream
rather than downstream).

Which is essentially what Rocky wrote (ie "more important than current is
wind direction").

Pete

Old May 12th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

open the door before touching down: airframes bend, doors get stuck.

Old May 12th 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Much discussion regarding ditching and other
cras^h^h^h^h landings.

The other day I saw an amazing Video on the internet
of a landing (really, no cras) on a tiny "gravel bar"
on a river by skipping across the water for a bit
first.
I have tried to find it again but I can not at present.

I seem to recall that it was s Super Cub on tundra tyres.

This seems the kit to have.

Old May 12th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote

The other day I saw an amazing Video on the internet
of a landing (really, no cras) on a tiny "gravel bar"
on a river by skipping across the water for a bit
first.
I have tried to find it again but I can not at present.

I seem to recall that it was s Super Cub on tundra tyres.

This seems the kit to have.

This would be the kit to have, if the flying you want to do, involves
landing on a gravel bar. This is because that is the very best, if not
only, place there is to land.

Where I live, I would be hard pressed to find a suitable river, with a
suitable gravel bar. There are tons of other options for better places to
land, however.

With all of this in mind, if this is the kind of flying you want to do, be
prepared to gain much, much experience, and skill.

The skipping-water-gravel bar-landing is a maneuver for a very experienced
pilot, but I hope you already know that.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 12th 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

try www.cubcrafters.com

oups.com...

Old May 13th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I'd bet it was a clip on the "Sherpa" where he does just exactly that.
Quite an airplane and ideal for bush flying.

Old May 13th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 12 May 2006 16:34:41 -0700, "Ol Shy & Bashful"
wrote:

I'd bet it was a clip on the "Sherpa" where he does just exactly that.
Quite an airplane and ideal for bush flying.

You forgot the Ugly as sin part, but I'd still like to have one.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com