Fuel Truck

Old January 13th 04, 05:44 PM
Jim

I wouldn't touch either a Cat 3208 or a GM 2 cycle, even if it sits. You
may consider a gas engine if it gets very cold out there.

Here ya go:
South Dakota Wheat Growers
1993 International Fuel Truck 229,612 miles 2200ga tank, 5 compartments
$23,000
http://www.sdwg.com/index.cfm?show=10&mid=35.

1982 Ford tractor/trailer 4000 gal $$7000 but it's in VA
http://www.skydiveorange.com/truck.htm

Here's some more but they are in Sask. Can., but they give you some ideas
what to look for.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?G5CB23D07

and a bunch mo
http://www.senecatank.com/rootweb/used.htm

--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply
"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
nk.net...
Thanks for all the good advice! I plan to take fuel delivery at the

airport
and never operate the truck on public roads. I only want the large truck

so
that I can buy enough fuel at a time to get favorable delivery charges.
Would the Cat diesel or GM2 stroke be a problem if we are not going to

drive
on the road? We will have a couple of guys in on the truck as partners

and
our hangers are less than 1/3 mile apart.

The big truck is one option but we would also consider a 2000 gallon truck
that we would lease to the FBO. We would take fuel at cost in lieu of a
lease payment. If we do that option, we would need a better truck as it
would get more driving use.

Mike
MU-2

"Jim" wrote in message
First start talking to the wholesale fuel distributors in the area, they

get
around and will know if there is a retailer such as a home heating oil
distributor or a farm fuel supplier that currently has one for sale.

Ask
them where they have maintenance done on their trucks, talk to those

people
also. There are plenty of companies that specialize in putting together

the
truck, tank, and pump units. These people always have used trucks for

sale.
Large farms or vegetable processing companies are always
buying/selling/leasing fuel trucks. Check out the Commercial Drivers
License laws concerning carrying fuel, they may limit the size of truck

that
you want to buy. Also remember to think of the weight laws, 10,000

gallons
would be a semi trailer and may be overweight. We usually are limited

loads of about 8000 gal for diesel fuel, otherwise the truck is

overloaded.
You've already checked Ritchie Bros, a great source for auctions with

heavy
equipment, that's a good line of thinking. Check with the heavy

equipment
dealers in your area. You can also buy a used truck and have a custom

made
tank fabricated. If you can find a truck from a southern area it would

be
best, less rust due to road salt. We just bought 3 used trucks to haul
potatoes that were once garbage trucks, they came out of Arkansas and

look
great. We found them on the web, figure out the specs you want and keep
searching. Stay away from anything with a Cat V-8 diesel or a GM

2-cycle
diesel. High rpms aren't good for diesel engines unless they are in
airplanes.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
nk.net...
I would like to buy a fuel truck! 5,000 to 10,000 gallon preferred.

have
been watching ebay and rbauction.com and I was wondering if anyone

knew
of
other sources? How can I find out if the government is selling one?
Thanks!

Mike
MU-2

Old January 13th 04, 05:59 PM
Jim

Your partnership would have to have a taxable income greater than the 179
deduction to qualify for the deduction.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Ben Smith" wrote in message
I'd agree with the previous posters, and check with the local fuel
wholesalers.. They should definately know someone out there who might

be
itching to sell a truck.. They could also give good information on what
'other' aspects you'll need to cover such as needing a CDL, Hazmat

permits,
and other red tape.

Thanks! I don't plan to drive on public roads.

Will this be to buy your own bulk fuel for the MU-2? Any idea where you
will store the truck, and if there are insurance / legal concerns with

it?

The truck would be stored outside on a hanger apron.

There is no fuel truck at SZT anymore, only self serve, and there are
several hangers, including mine, diagonally across the airport from the
pumps. It is a PITA and expensive to taxi over to the pumps particularly
for an early AM departure. If it is snowing the airplane may need to be
deiced after refueling. Also I prefer to have the plane fueled the night
before departure and I don't want to taxi back from the fuel pumps turn

the
plane around and push it back into the hanger.

With the increased 179 deduction we can expense the truck the first year

and
the fuel cost savings should more than pay for the balance

and if there are insurance / legal concerns with it?

This is something we will have to factor in but if the truck is not used

on
public roads I don't think that it will be a major hurdle.
Mike
MU-2

Hopefully it'll all work out for you. So far, looks like buying the

truck
will be the easiest part!

--
Ben
C-172 - N13258 @ 87Y

Old January 13th 04, 06:22 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Nathan Young" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 14:57:37 GMT, "Mike Rapoport"
wrote:

I would like to buy a fuel truck! 5,000 to 10,000 gallon preferred. I

have
been watching ebay and rbauction.com and I was wondering if anyone knew

of
other sources? How can I find out if the government is selling one?
Thanks!

For fueling the MU2? That's a creative way to save some bucks.

Morris airport in Illinois just added huge self-serve tanks to the
field. Not sure if they are keeping their trucks, but it might be
worth a phone call as they appear to be relatively new and in good
condition). Morris airport is at: 815-942-1600

You can see a picture of the trucks in the background of this photo:
http://www.needlescentered.com/needl...is_800x600.jpg

Hell, I'd drive the thing out to Utah or Idaho, or wherever you live,
if you fly me back to Chicago in the MU2.

You got it! Is that your Cessna in the picture?

Mike
MU-2

-Nathan

Old January 13th 04, 06:24 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Ben Jackson" wrote in message
In article et,
Mike Rapoport wrote:
I would like to buy a fuel truck! 5,000 to 10,000 gallon preferred.

You're just fueling one plane, right? Why not a stationary tank? If
it can't be a permanent structure, you could just get a semi trailer
tank and park it. Hire a trucking company if you ever need to move it.

There will actually be a couple of planes and owners. I have thought about
a trailer but does a tailer have a pump? A trailer has a lot of advantages
such as being able to hire a trucker to take it to be filled.

Mike
MU-2

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

Old January 13th 04, 06:58 PM
Ben Jackson

In article et,
Mike Rapoport wrote:

There will actually be a couple of planes and owners. I have thought about
a trailer but does a tailer have a pump? A trailer has a lot of advantages
such as being able to hire a trucker to take it to be filled.

There must be some types that have pumps. Not all stationary tanks
are underground. You might be able to gravity-feed Joe's Gas'n'Go but
a lot of avgas tanks are freestanding. They may not be suitable for
transferring to an aircraft, though. The guy who comes around to check
the meter at my home airport drives a pickup with a itty bitty trailer
which is about half pump and about half hosereel. He needs it to pump
the 100 gallons he takes out for calibration back in.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old January 13th 04, 08:29 PM
Nathan Young

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 18:22:17 GMT, "Mike Rapoport"
wrote:

"Nathan Young" wrote in message

You can see a picture of the trucks in the background of this photo:
http://www.needlescentered.com/needl...is_800x600.jpg

Hell, I'd drive the thing out to Utah or Idaho, or wherever you live,
if you fly me back to Chicago in the MU2.

You got it! Is that your Cessna in the picture?

Nope, but I thought it was a nice looking 170, so I took the picture
last time I flew into Morris for lunch.

-Nathan

Old January 14th 04, 12:10 AM
John Galban

"Jim" wrote in message ...
We just bought 3 used trucks to haul
potatoes that were once garbage trucks, they came out of Arkansas and look
great.

Thanks Jim. That's one of the least appetizing posts I've seen on
rec.aviation in awhile. I might add that I had just finished eating
a baked potato when I read the post.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old January 14th 04, 12:29 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"John Galban" wrote in message
om...
"Jim" wrote in message

We just bought 3 used trucks to haul
potatoes that were once garbage trucks, they came out of Arkansas and

look
great.

Thanks Jim. That's one of the least appetizing posts I've seen on
rec.aviation in awhile. I might add that I had just finished eating
a baked potato when I read the post.

A baked potatoe?

Old January 14th 04, 03:38 AM
Robert Bates

I agree with Ben, it shouldn't be too hard to find a tank trailer. If you
need to move it around the field, a large old ( inexpensive )farm tractor
would pull it, the tractor PTO could drive a pump, and it could also pull
the MU 2 out of the hanger.

"Ben Jackson" wrote in message

Old January 14th 04, 04:35 PM
Dick Meade

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
nk.net...

The truck would be stored outside on a hanger apron.

Mike,

I believe that EPA has or is in the process of mandating containment for
mobile refuelers. A few other points to consider:

Jet-A loves water and allows bacterial growth. Prist, in addition to being
an antifreeze, is an anti-bacterial. Jet in storage needs to be circulated
to keep the Prist properly mixed. Additionally, there are fairly rigid
standards regarding filtration of Jet fuel. These standards are insurance
driven, which brings up another point. If your FBO's arrangement is
typical, they carry liability insurance for the first part of a claim.
Excess liability coverage is provided by the fuel supplier. This coverage
is contingent on the proper storage and conditioning of the fuel. Ours
refused to sell us fuel unless the system met their standards. Look at the
Jet fuel system sometime. Note the filters and valving. It is set up to be
able to circulate and filter the fuel in the tank. As the fuel is
off-loaded from the delivery truck, it is filtered. As it is delivered into
your plane, it is also filtered. Any tanker that stores fuel should have
the same capability.

The tanker will also have to be epoxy coated in the inside to prevent rust.
If you buy a jet refueler, it should already be set up correctly with epoxy
and filtration, but that should be verified. Your FBO's fuel supplier
should be happy to explain their requirements for fuel handling. You
probably would want to "donate" the truck to the FBO in return for low fuel
rates, just to avoid the hassles and potential liability. Alternatively, a
variation on the "Mighty Grape" might better fit your needs, even if it took
a couple of trips to fuel the plane.

I had to research this 3 years ago when the company I work for bought a
Citation Bravo. We ultimately abandoned the refueler idea, and opted to buy
a 10,000 gallon Jet system, which we donated to the city. In return, we buy
fuel at a deep discount for a specific length of time. Avgas systems are
dirt simple in comparison.

If you're still looking at refuelers, Aero-Trader has a 2,000 gallon truck
in the current issue. 817 area code puts it in the Ft. Worth area.

Hope this is helpful,

Dick Meade

spaceship one Pianome Home Built 169 June 30th 04 05:47 AM
Jet A / JP-4 ?? CVBreard General Aviation 7 December 8th 03 03:44 PM
Yo! Fuel Tank! Veeduber Home Built 15 October 25th 03 02:57 AM
Pumping fuel backwards through an electric fuel pump Greg Reid Home Built 15 October 7th 03 07:09 PM
C210 fuel tank vents Eric Brown Owning 2 September 27th 03 02:59 AM