Loran C not dead:

Old November 13th 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bush

Default Loran C not dead:

My cousin had taken the "golden parachute" from RCA a number of years
ago as an engineer and joined a group of similar individuals starting
a tech company in a Boston suburb. I ran into him at a family
gathering a couple of weeks ago asking him what he'd been working on
and the reply was "Loran E" or enhanced Loran. In fact the guy that
invented the thing and 80 years old, is working with them. This, as
with so many new many security measures is a child of 9-11. "Basically
the satellites are just too easy of a target", enough said. I'd watch
for this IPO. Anyone own Navteq?

Have a great one!

Bush
Old November 14th 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Bush wrote:
"Basically
the satellites are just too easy of a target", enough said. I'd watch
for this IPO. Anyone own Navteq?

Have a great one!

Bush

Yeah, they're going to hit a satellite in geosynchronous orbit
a lot easier than a bunch of radio towers sitting on the ground.
Old November 14th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Ron Natalie wrote:
Bush wrote:
"Basically
the satellites are just too easy of a target", enough said. I'd watch
for this IPO. Anyone own Navteq?

Have a great one!

Bush

Yeah, they're going to hit a satellite in geosynchronous orbit
a lot easier than a bunch of radio towers sitting on the ground.

Yeah, but you can rebuild a tower a hell
of a lot easier than a satellite.

Old November 14th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

Yeah, they're going to hit a satellite in geosynchronous orbit
a lot easier than a bunch of radio towers sitting on the ground.

Nit: The GPS constellation is not in geosynchronous orbit.

Old November 14th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Ron Natalie wrote:
Bush wrote:
"Basically
the satellites are just too easy of a target", enough said. I'd watch
for this IPO. Anyone own Navteq?

Have a great one!

Bush

Yeah, they're going to hit a satellite in geosynchronous orbit
a lot easier than a bunch of radio towers sitting on the ground.

GPS satellites are not in geosynchronous orbit and it is trivially
easy to jam GPS.

It is a lot more difficult to jam Loran effectively over a wide area.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old November 15th 07, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Jim Stewart wrote:

Yeah, but you can rebuild a tower a hell
of a lot easier than a satellite.

That's one of the reasons why we have 31 of them.
Old November 15th 07, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Ron Natalie writes:

Correct on the geosynchronous, typing faster than the brain.
It's not trivially easy to jam GPS. Possible yes, but not exactly
trivial.

It is indeed trivially easy to jam, and it is also very easy to spoof if the
signal is not encrypted.
Old November 15th 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
news
Ron Natalie writes:

Correct on the geosynchronous, typing faster than the brain.
It's not trivially easy to jam GPS. Possible yes, but not exactly
trivial.

It is indeed trivially easy to jam,

You're a fjukkwit.

Bertie

Loran C - not dead yet. Denny Piloting 1 November 14th 07 12:22 AM
AUDIO: Bush jewish. Blair jewish. Howard jewish. Sarkozy jewish. 1.2 million muslims dead. Thousands of Americans dead. Trillion$ missing. [email protected] Naval Aviation 0 November 2nd 07 05:56 PM
Need help with Narco LORAN LRN 840 Benjamin Gawert Instrument Flight Rules 16 March 28th 06 11:15 PM
GPS and Loran C Bob Gardner Instrument Flight Rules 3 May 4th 04 07:30 PM
Anybody Still Use Loran? Larry Smith Home Built 4 October 4th 03 05:06 AM