Crossing the Rocky Mountains

Old January 7th 04, 06:06 PM
RD

Default Crossing the Rocky Mountains

I'm planning on doing a trip from central Canada down to Las Vegas in a
C172R. Does anyone have some experience on where a good point to transition
the US rockies is? Somewhere around SLC is my guess. I have no mountain
experience which causes me the greatest concern. Any help appreciated.

--
Thank You,
Ryan

Old January 7th 04, 06:09 PM
Michael 182

Southern Wyoming - there is a break in the mountains - pretty much just high
plains and a few ridges.

Michael

Old January 7th 04, 06:19 PM
Blanche

Ryan:

lots.

Old January 7th 04, 06:21 PM
C J Campbell

Central Canada is a little vague, but if I understand your question
correctly then I usually cross from Crazy Woman, down to Casper, then Rock
Springs, then Ogden. I would prefer to cross from Billings, then to Bozeman,
Whitehall, Dillon, down to Dubois, but I have had extremely bad luck with
that route being blocked by thunderstorms.

Old January 7th 04, 07:21 PM
Jeff

this may help you
http://www.coloradopilots.org/page_mtnfly_passes.htm

its the passes in the colorado area with the elevations and such.
I have always been told not to attempt to cross the rockies when the wind at
the top of the mountains are 30 kts or more.

Old January 7th 04, 09:25 PM
Jim Weir

SLC isn't in the Rockies, it is in the Wasatch. Tell us where you plan on
crossing into the States and we can probably make a better guess than "central
Canada".

Jim

Jeff

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old January 8th 04, 01:53 AM
Ron Lee

Learn how to lean the engine during runup for maxiumum performance.

Also be aware that your groudspeed on landing and takeoff will be
higher than at sea level so pay attention to airspeed on landing and
take-off instead of letting normal visual cues guide your pitch
control.

Ron Lee

Old January 9th 04, 01:39 AM
mikem

RD wrote:

I'm in Saskatchewan, CYXE, just above the Montana/North Dakota border.

We just flew the family 182 from SLC to Calgary and back at Christmas
time. I usually follow I15 (IDA-DLN-HLN-CTB), but because of wx, on the
way back we went to GTF(customs) to BIL to LND to RKS to FBR to SLC.

SLC to LAS: just follow I15.

MikeM
SLC
Skylane '1MM
Pacer '00Z

Old January 9th 04, 01:48 AM
Newps

An easy route is to cross at LVM/BZN(pass is at 6200), fly down the big
wide valley just west of Yellowstone Park. This gets you into the high
desert of southern Idaho. No mountains to cross until Lake Tahoe, as I
recall that pass was about 9500.