Wittman tailwind

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 27th 03, 11:48 PM
Harry O

Default Wittman tailwind

From memory, the differences were slight. The wing airfoil was different.
The W-10 has a curve on the bottom where the W-8 was flat. I understand
that there were 2 or 3 inches of extra width in the fuselage. Also, the
W-10 was stressed for larger (Lycoming) engines. I built the airframe for a
W-10 and talked with Mr. Wittman about it a couple of times. I also saw him
at Oshkosh several times and talked with him in person once. He was a VERY
thin man and medium height. I can easily understand the change in the
fuselage.

He did not think much of people who put in Lycoming 0-290's or 0-320's (like
I was going to do). He much preferred the 85hp Continental. When I talked
to him, I found out that he was turning his little engine at about 3,200
rpm -- way, WAY over readline. It was putting out as much HP as the larger
(and heavier) Lycomings. He did say that he had to overhaul it about every
400 hours. Since he did it himself (rather than hiring an A&E), he did not
think that it was a problem at all.

"Daniel Lapointe" wrote in message
Can somebody tell me where to find the difference between a W-8 and a W-10

?