Best Aviation Weather Website?

Old December 31st 03, 05:51 PM
Robert Castro

Default Best Aviation Weather Website?

Any thoughts on the best site out there other than the usual suspects ADD,
NOAA ?

What sites and why -- would prefer quick graphics on one page Java based.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Old December 31st 03, 10:45 PM
gerrcoin

I use the following:

http://www.tmdg.co.uk/weather/ Up to date Sigmet and METAR. Use ICAO
code and works only for larger airports with automated weather stations

http://www.gofir.com/ Probably the most comprehensive pre-flight self
briefing sites that I've come across.

For the folks who use the WAP (mobile internet) feature on their mobile
phones:

http://wap.cupitt.com Latest METAR and TAF both in coded and decoded format

http://sunplan.com/avwx.wml#main UK only airfield weather updates

The WAP sites are pretty good if you are operating from a small
strip.The only problem is that airfields generally don't get the best
reception
Or if you are wondering what the weather is doing at the field from the
comfort of your armchair. No more waiting for someone in the FBO to pick
up. Just type in your nearest Class C airport ICAO (upwind if possible)
should do the trick.

Old December 31st 03, 11:22 PM
David H

Robert Castro wrote:

Any thoughts on the best site out there other than the usual suspects ADD,
NOAA ?

It's not specifically an aviation site, but I like the Weather Underground
(www.wunderground.com). It's quick, simple, and customizable. It allows one
to see the basics at a quick glance on a single page. It works for me.

Hope that helps,

David H
Boeing Field (BFI), Seattle, WA
Visit the Pacific Northwest Flying forum:
http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/pnwflying

Old January 1st 04, 05:49 PM
jim rosinski

"Robert Castro" wrote:

Any thoughts on the best site out there other than the usual suspects ADD,
NOAA ?

Here are a few I like to use.

http://cirrus.sprl.umich.edu/wxnet

Type in the 3-character airport identifier or city, state and get the
latest forecast. At the top of the forecast page are links to current
regional and local radar maps. The radar maps also have looping
capability, which is great for determining movement of precipitation
areas. You may have to be a member to access the looping capability,
but it's only $5 per year and gets rid of all ads.

http://weather.unisys.com

Provides links to numerical model forecasts. "eta model forecast"
shows 12, 24, 36, and 48-hour large-scale forecast of pressure,
temperature, and precipitation. The eta model is the most commonly
used model on which short-term forecasts are based in the US. "RUC
model" is the same model, but displays output in 3-hourly instead of
12-hourly time increments. "MRF model" gives longer term predictions.

http://iwin.nws.noaa.gov/iwin/textversion/states.html

Click on the state of interest and read the latest forecast discussion
from forecast offices serving various regions in that state. Lots of
technical jargon in there, but it can still be very useful. I find it
particularly helpful to assess "how sure" the forecasters are of their
predictions. Often they'll be less certain of a forecast if the
numerical models (available at http://weather.unisys.com mentioned
above) aren't in close agreement.

www.rap.ucar.edu/weather

A potpourri of satellite, radar, and forecast products. Some
aviation-specific. Easy to use.

www.nws.noaa.gov

Good starting point to download lots of weather maps and forecasts,
including a link for aviation-specific info.

Jim Rosinski
Old January 5th 04, 02:41 PM
Rich Badaracco

This site has the most comprehensive collection of weather I've found on the
net. Pretty much something for everybody.
http://www.dispatcher.org/brief/adfbrief.html
t...

Old January 12th 04, 02:59 PM
Paul Sengupta

Can't get Cupitt to work properly. Once I've typed in the
identifier for the airport, you don't seem to be able to do
anything else. At least on my Ericsson R520.

The sunplan one just gives me Error 404.

I use http://www.wapmx.com for wap TAFs and METARs.
Wap is useful not just at the field, but from anywhere where
you can't get to an internet connection...or where you can but
it would be too laborious to boot up a PC.

Paul

Old January 14th 04, 03:13 PM
gerrcoin

I don't know about individual handsets, but on my Siemens M50 after you
enter in the ident you select DONE using one of the menu buttons on the
screen. Then another appears that says GO. When you hit that it starts
pretty clever feature to keep the back lighting on - I haven't decided
yet) which stops you scrolling after a few lines. You have to keep
pressing the scroll down key repeatedly for the page to feed.

I'd say that all handsets have some menu prompt with a corresponding
handset key underneath it that will send the data.

That wapmx site is pretty good and loads a lot faster that cupitt.

Old January 14th 04, 06:33 PM
Paul Sengupta

Ah yes, got it now, you have to press menu then "ACCEPT" on my phone.
I see it also interprets the METAR/TAF for you. The thing has sideways
scrolling of text (such as the date and time) if you're on the right line.
Quite
nice, but it is slightly more time consuming with a few more button presses.
Downward scrolling is ok on mine, maybe you just hit it during slow times
and it takes a while to load the page? Well, just a thought!

Paul

Old January 14th 04, 11:57 PM
gerrcoin

Paul Sengupta wrote:
Ah yes, got it now, you have to press menu then "ACCEPT" on my phone.
I see it also interprets the METAR/TAF for you. The thing has sideways
scrolling of text (such as the date and time) if you're on the right line.
Quite
nice, but it is slightly more time consuming with a few more button presses.
Downward scrolling is ok on mine, maybe you just hit it during slow times
and it takes a while to load the page? Well, just a thought!

Paul

No.Maybe its just a bug with the browser built into mine.I don't get it
on any other site though.It's not a download thing because once the page
is visable, it's been fully downloaded.Anyway getting a little OT there.
By the way if you bookmark the page where you enter the ident it makes
it a bit quicker.