Lightspeed Headset Story-Wow

Old October 17th 05, 02:38 AM
kgruber

Default Lightspeed Headset Story-Wow

The old saying is that you can tell a Lear pilot by the way his head is
cocked to the side. As you can see from this photo I took yesterday, the
windshield of a Lear curves inward FAST, thus most pilots keep their seats
at the lowest position.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/kgr...1__medium_.jpg

Lear Jet. Still one of the best looking shapes in the world!

Karl
"Curator" N185KG

"Sylvain" wrote in message
kgruber wrote:
My guess is you've never sat in the front of a Lear Jet.

Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity of doing so;
I am one of the LightSpeed fans who praised their
headsets and customer services, I agree that this
definitely needs to be investigated further (I may have
been misled) and since you are so generously offering a
test flight, I'd be happy to sacrifice some of my time in
the interest of a complete and objective product review,

I have a couple of LightSpeed headsets and can travel,

--Sylvain

Old October 17th 05, 02:49 AM
Sylvain

kgruber wrote:
The old saying is that you can tell a Lear pilot by the way his head is
cocked to the side.

seriously, wouldn't you be better off with one of these 'in ears'
tiny new headsets that a few brands are selling these days? most ANR
headsets seem to be optimized for the noise frequencies one would
encounter in a prop aircraft anyway.

--Sylvain
Old October 17th 05, 02:52 AM
Morgans

"kgruber" wrote

My guess is you've never sat in the front of a Lear Jet.

That would be correct. Are the sides rounded inward so much that the side
clearance is an issue, or what?
--
Jim in NC

Old October 18th 05, 08:18 AM
Scott Skylane

/snip/
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/kgr...1__medium_.jpg

Lear Jet. Still one of the best looking shapes in the world!

A beautiful shot, Karl! I must say, I've always liked the original
23's. Good looks, and the loudest airplane on the field!

Not being an afficianado, I'm curious: do these all have the "century"
wing, or is that still something optional?

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old October 18th 05, 05:55 PM
Kevin Kubiak

Default Lightspeed Headset Story-Wow - Follow-up

Just a follow-up:

I just got off the phone with Alan Schrader from Light Speed.
I sent him a letter regarding my 30-3Gs, which happen to be
at the factory as I write this. I explained to him in my
letter the problems I have been having with the battery
control box. I told him I was concerned about their quality,
and a bit disappointed with the fact the my headsets have been
back to them twice now in only 20 hrs of use. He told me that
because of my letter and several other logged problems recently with
the battery box they are working on a redesign that will be backward
compatible with the 30-3gs. He said by next summer the new box would be
available. He called me to thank me for the letter and informing him of
problems. While he cannot guarantee my head set will not be back again,
he did say that he was refunding me the cost for shipping my head set to the
company twice. He said it was the least they could do about the inconvenience
of not having my headset available for my use.

He seemed like a very nice fellow and appreciated my feedback to him on the
product and was very interested in my opinion about the head set

For what it's worth in case your thinking of purchasing a pair in the future.

Kevin Kubiak - PP-ASEL

Jay Honeck wrote:
I really like the Lightspeeds, the ANR and all that, but I am very
concerned
about the Quality Control. I was thinking of writing or calling the
president
of the company to voice my concerns. I wonder if it would do any good.

I'm really surprised to hear this about one of their new models. My Twenty
3Gs have been completely bulletproof.

BTW: His name is Alan Schrader. He's one of the good guys, and, yes, it
will help to call him.

Old October 18th 05, 07:50 PM
kgruber

I just don't know, but I think there were several mods available to the
early Lear Jet wing. I've only ever flown one early 24 and it had some kind
of mod. Even the flap speeds were different. It's tough now because they are
still good airplanes,but usually not worth the $100,000 to RVSM them. A gas
guzzling thrill.

Karl
/snip/

Old October 19th 05, 03:59 PM
Jay Honeck

I just got off the phone with Alan Schrader from Light Speed.
snip
He seemed like a very nice fellow and appreciated my feedback to him on
the
product and was very interested in my opinion about the head set

Glad to hear it, Kevin. I like Alan, and he busts his butt at OSH every
year, for hour after hour, working the floor at his vendor's booths.

Something that I'm sure he doesn't have to do -- but he does it so that he
can hear from guys like us.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 20th 05, 03:08 AM
John

Thomas Borchert wrote:

Jonathan,

I've seen enough anecdotal evidence to convince me that Lightspeeds have
a higher incidence of failure and required repair than David Clarks or
Bose sets.

I wonder how. You'd have to correlate reports of problems with sales
figures for the anecdotes to have any meaning.

We've used both in our CAP wing where headsets get beat up somewhat by pilots
and passengers coming and going. The Lightspeeds just didn't hold up as well
as the David Clark's which are damned near bulletproof. Lightspeeds just need
to be handled with more care. Personally I really like my 3G-20 Lightspeed
but I am very careful in how I treat it. For passenger use, my (non noise
cancelling) David Clark headset is more than great and I don't have to worry
about others not treating it well. The one time I had a problem with David
Clark (my fault), I dropped it off in Worcester, and they fixed and mailed it
without charge.

The person who is complaining that D-C didn't fix the headset damaged in a
crash is being silly though. Does he expect the airplane manufacturer to fix
the plane for free too?

I'd recommend both Lightspeed and David Clarke, but they have their caveats.

Old October 20th 05, 07:47 PM
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
Thomas Borchert wrote:
Huh? Are you suggesting that David Clark has less than stellar customer
service?

I am suggesting that people have reported here that they have been charged
for DC service/repairs. Some quite heftily. That's all.

That's interesting, because I've seen exactly the opposite. No company
is obligated to perform free repairs after the warranty period, but it
seems that DC routinely does, within reason, of course.

JKG