Pathetic Pilot Salaries

Old August 27th 04, 02:02 PM
Vic

Default Pathetic Pilot Salaries

Hi,

I am a 35 year old software programmer thinking about a possible
career change into aviation. I am currently working on my PPL.
I've come to know some pilots who are currently flying for ASA and
Comair. Both of them made UNDER 17,000.00 last year. They are both
young guys without families, homes,etc.. so it's a bit easier for
them to ride this through. Anyhow, since I haven't made up my mind
yet, I would love to hear from any of you who have been in a similar
situation. Especially if you are around my age, made the switch from a
previous career, are married, have children and a mortgage. You get my
point. How do you pay continue to pay the bills? I will obviously take
a huge hit salary speaking, but I was shocked at how low the starting
salaries are!! With my wife, children and mortgage, I could qualify
for food stamps on that kind of pay. Also, since that would put my
family below the poverty level, would I even have to pay income tax?
Not to mention I will also have to make payments on student loans if
I choose to go ahead with this.

My CFI tells me to avoid the regionals at all costs. He suggests
flying corporate, but after some research the starting salaries for a
corporate pilot seem to be just as low. He also said that in a few
years there will be a pilot shortage. If there is a pilot shortage in
3-5 years, what does this actually mean for newly rated commercial
pilots who are looking for their first job? If anyone has any thoughts
I would love to hear them. Thanks in advance!

Vic
Old August 27th 04, 02:03 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, (Vic) said:
I've come to know some pilots who are currently flying for ASA and
Comair. Both of them made UNDER 17,000.00 last year. They are both

You know what they say: the only way to make a small fortune in aviation
is to start with a large one.

--
Paul Tomblin
http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Old August 27th 04, 02:19 PM
user

On 27 Aug 2004 06:02:10 -0700, Vic wrote:
[...]

My understanding is that switching jobs in commercial aviation is
hell, as well. From what I've read, because of all of the byzantine
seniority rules, even if you've managed to move up the ladder at
airline A for 15 years, if you decide to go to airline B... you start
right at the bottom again. With the corresponding drop in pay.

Personally, I prefer working in IT, where the surest way to get
a huge pay increase is simply to threaten to quit. ;-)

- Rich

Old August 27th 04, 02:22 PM
Ron Natalie

"Vic" wrote in message m...
I am a 35 year old software programmer thinking about a possible

More money in computers. Believe me, I thought seriously about
other careers but the money is good and I am good at it.

I've come to know some pilots who are currently flying for ASA and
Comair. Both of them made UNDER 17,000.00 last year.

I know some entry level teachers that are making under 20,000.

Old August 27th 04, 02:40 PM
Trent Moorehead

"Vic" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I am a 35 year old software programmer thinking about a possible
career change into aviation.

snip

I haven't made the switch you are talking about, but I do have a point of
view which I think is relevant nonetheless.

When you have a family, your #1 job is taking care of them. That should be
your priority right now. If you can pursue a job in aviation without putting
undue hardship on your family, then go for it.

I know this isn't the post you were looking for, but making a career change
which will make your family eligible for food stamps doesn't sound like a
good decision to me.

-Trent
PP-ASEL

Old August 27th 04, 03:00 PM
William W. Plummer

user wrote:

snip
Personally, I prefer working in IT, where the surest way to get
a huge pay increase is simply to threaten to quit. ;-)

Threatening to quit works until you are about 35 years old. Maybe a bit
longer if you walk on water. But later in life you can expect to be
pushed out in favor of younger, technology-current engineers.

But of course, ATPs have to retire at 60, and Air Traffic Controllers at
56. At least they know what to expect and can prepare for it.
Old August 27th 04, 03:04 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "William W. Plummer" said:
user wrote:

snip
Personally, I prefer working in IT, where the surest way to get
a huge pay increase is simply to threaten to quit. ;-)

Threatening to quit works until you are about 35 years old. Maybe a bit
longer if you walk on water. But later in life you can expect to be
pushed out in favor of younger, technology-current engineers.

There is no hard and fast rule that says you can't stay technology-current
as you age. I started off doing FORTRAN on mainframes, went to C and
Unix, then C++ and Unix, and here I am at 44 doing Java on Linux, making
50% more than I was making when I was 35. And every step up the ladder
was done by identifying what I wanted to do next and teaching myself.

What's the next technology trend? I don't know, but I'm damn sure I'm
going to teach it to myself before Java on Linux jobs dry up. Although I
have a nagging suspicion that my next "technology" will be "how to manage
a team of programmers in India to make sure that what they produce isn't a
giant cluster **** like every other outsourcing project I've seen".

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"What we perceive as `God' is simply a by-product of our search for God."
Old August 27th 04, 03:32 PM
C J Campbell

There is always a shortage of qualified pilots. Nevertheless, salaries
remain low and are likely to continue so. If you are in it for the money,
choose another a career.

Old August 27th 04, 03:33 PM
William W. Plummer

Paul Tomblin wrote:

In a previous article, "William W. Plummer" said:

user wrote:

snip

[...]

I agree and have a very parallel career to yours. But at about your
age, I got into management. And wound up doing DoD acquisitions work.
Technical work is much more satisfying (like flying!), but doesn't pay
as well and you don't get the management bonuses. I'm partially retired
now and can't quite justify purchasing "Dot Net" and taking classes.

And you are right about labor in India. Once they master the
technology, we will be the customer and will completely lack the ability
to compete.
Old August 27th 04, 03:37 PM
Murphy

[...]

Don't be an idiot. Keep your job and support your family properly. Save
your money and go buy your own plane to take your kids flying in and to go
see grandma.