Aviation Videos, again...

Old September 26th 04, 06:18 PM
Shiver Me Timbers

Jay Honeck wrote:

And, if you mean my signature line, sorry. It's evolved over my years here
from a simple "Iowa City, IA" to include the plane, and now the hotel. I
don't hide behind anonymity, and I invite everyone to come visit.

Can you match that?

No..... Actually I can't match that Jay.

But then I can't match over 18,000 postings to this newsgroup alone
in the past few years either.

GOOGLE is your friend, and that's how many times you have posted to
this newsgroup Jay.

Now your not the only reglular contributor that has made that many
postings, but your the only person in any aviation newsgroup who
shamelessly promotes their business by including their commercial
venture in their SIG, with the exception of Jim Weir. And Jay you
couldn't hold a candle to Jim Weir for decency, and helpfulness in
newsgroup posting on the best day of your life. While he actually helps
people and asks nothing in return, you strictly promote yourself in a
shameless, chronic and continuous basis.

That's what SIG spammers do Jay.

They are everybodies friend, normally polite, don't like controversay,
hate it when anyone holds them up to the light of day, resists changing
their habits till the bitter end, will say anything to justify their
actions, post to as many threads as possible, start as many threads as
possible, chronically in the newsgroup day and nite, posts thousands of
times per year, and like you they never never never post their URL as a
hyperlink, that's too obvious so they leave it plain so it's visible
but doesn't stick out too much.

Jay I've seen people like you in hundreds of newsgroups and you fit the
classic pattern of a SIG spammer to a T. If you couldn't post your URL
in your SIG would you really be in this group yakking it up adding as
many me too comments to as many threads as possible, starting as many
threads as possible.....

Lets be honest Jay in addition to the SIG ads you have recently
received exceptionally good mileage with your motel's photo page which
you have promoted many, many, many, many hundreds if not thousands
of times directly in this very group. Say what you want about better
ways to promote your business besides what you do in newsgroups, the
fact remains that you keep doing it with your SIG alone..... AND IT'S
FREE - That's why your in this group morning noon and nite.

And if none of the above comments are true then why won't you do the
minority of people in this very group a favour and drop Alexis Park Inn
from your SIG and only post a single monthly update to your photo page,
and drop the death videos.

DO THAT JAY AND I WILL NEVER BOTHER YOU AGAIN.

And of course nobody will ever be able to question your motives like
some in this group are questioning your motives right now.

What are you Jay..... A businessperson promoting their business in an
aviation newsgroup and who also happens to be a pilot, or a pilot
promoting aviation in an aviation newsgroup and who also happens to be
a businessperson.
Old September 26th 04, 07:34 PM
john smith

Answer me this Shiver, just what have you contributed to the aviation
community lately?
At least Jay is providing different services.
All you seem to be able to do is criticize.
What constructive things have you done?

Old September 26th 04, 09:08 PM
Teacherjh

Say what you want about better
ways to promote your business besides what you do in newsgroups, the
fact remains that you keep doing it with your SIG alone..... AND IT'S
FREE - That's why your in this group morning noon and nite.

It's only free if he'd be posting anyway. But your contention is that he
wouldn't. Thus, it's not free - and the cost (just from the time it takes to
type a post, let alone think of it) is probably quite high for the return it
gets.

Jose

Old September 26th 04, 10:53 PM
Montblack

("Shiver Me Timbers" wrote)
snip
What are you Jay..... A businessperson promoting their business in an
aviation newsgroup and who also happens to be a pilot, or a pilot
promoting aviation in an aviation newsgroup and who also happens to be
a businessperson.

Mr. Timbers,

Hey you got peanut butter on my chocolate...

If this was an NFL newsgroup, Jay would be the guy in the stands with cheese
on his head, a Brett Favray jersey on, and a face painted green and
[yellow]. Oh, his kids and his wife would be done up in the same way ...and
this is a road game!!

Jay is, in a word, an enthusiast.

Jay is a bit of a button pusher. Aren't we all?
Jay seems to possess limitless passion for aviation.
Jay has found a way to combine work with, for lack of a better word, hobby.
Jay contributes much to these groups.

As I've stated before, his videos haven't bumped up against my personal
minimums, plus I've yet to be swayed enough to change my opinion that his
having them on the Inn's website is wrong, or bad, or inappropriate, etc..

His hotel business, as part of this newsgroup, is just part of Jay being
Jay, IMHO. Doesn't bother me a bit.

Montblack
Vikes won AND the Bears covered 9 vBg
It's been July weather so far this September here in Minnesota.
I'm heading out now for my (75 F) Sunday evening walk.

Old September 27th 04, 12:18 AM
C Kingsbury

"Shiver Me Timbers" wrote in message

What are you Jay..... A businessperson promoting their business in an
aviation newsgroup and who also happens to be a pilot, or a pilot
promoting aviation in an aviation newsgroup and who also happens to be
a businessperson.

Yikes dude, get a grip! If Jay ****es you off so much just killfile him.
It's not like he's spamming the group from a server in Romania.

-cwk.

Old September 27th 04, 12:57 AM
Peter R.

Shiver Me Timbers wrote:

DO THAT JAY AND I WILL NEVER BOTHER YOU AGAIN.

Ah, yes, another soul attempting to save Usenet from itself.

Killfile Jay if he bothers you that much. Continuing to criticize him
with the same argument over and over again as you have over the last few
days makes you appear to be a Usenet stalker, which in my book is as low
as a Usenet spammer.

--
Peter

Old September 27th 04, 03:04 AM
Jay Honeck

His hotel business, as part of this newsgroup, is just part of Jay being
Jay, IMHO. Doesn't bother me a bit.

What guys like Shiver don't understand is that our inn is special precisely
BECAUSE of these newsgroups.

He may not have been around back in 2002, when we were seriously considering
buying an old hotel, on an airport, and turning it into a cool aviation
destination. It's quite likely that we would never have bought it, without
the input and support shown from many folks here on the aviation newsgroups.

In many ways, this newsgroup made our hotel what it is today -- equal parts
aviation museum and a nice place to stay. I've gotten more great ideas and
feedback here than anywhere else.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 27th 04, 03:46 AM
Montblack

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
I've gotten more great ideas and feedback here than anywhere else.

Like high speed internet g.

I'm still absolutely shocked that this group suggested that :-)

Montblack
Vikes won today - with a ridiculous amount of help from the refs.
How'd you guys do?

Old September 27th 04, 03:53 AM
Jay Honeck

*** We interrupt this thread for a rant. Please pardon the interruption, as
it will be short-lived. ***

But then I can't match over 18,000 postings to this newsgroup alone
in the past few years either.

Holy crap -- 18K? Whatever you do, DON'T TELL MARY.

;-)

Now your not the only reglular contributor that has made that many
postings, but your the only person in any aviation newsgroup who
shamelessly promotes their business by including their commercial
venture in their SIG, with the exception of Jim Weir. And Jay you
couldn't hold a candle to Jim Weir for decency, and helpfulness in
newsgroup posting on the best day of your life. While he actually helps
people and asks nothing in return, you strictly promote yourself in a
shameless, chronic and continuous basis.

I KNEW IT! I just KNEW "Shiver" was realy Jim Weir, in drag!

;-)

They are everybodies friend, normally polite, don't like controversay,
hate it when anyone holds them up to the light of day, resists changing
their habits till the bitter end, will say anything to justify their
actions, post to as many threads as possible, start as many threads as
possible, chronically in the newsgroup day and nite, posts thousands of
times per year, and like you they never never never post their URL as a
hyperlink, that's too obvious so they leave it plain so it's visible
but doesn't stick out too much.

Actually, our URL would be a hyperlink at the bottom of every one of my
posts -- if you knew how to use a real newsgroup reader.

And while you're at it, either develop some English language skills, or use
the damned spell checker that has come pre-packaged with every piece of
dime-store software made since 1994. Trying to wade through your
misspellings and parse your tortured grammar is truly tiresome.

Jay I've seen people like you in hundreds of newsgroups and you fit the
classic pattern of a SIG spammer to a T. If you couldn't post your URL
in your SIG would you really be in this group yakking it up adding as
many me too comments to as many threads as possible, starting as many
threads as possible.....

You, sir (ma'am?), are an idiot. I was prolifically posting in this
newsgroup long before we bought the hotel. In fact, if you do a Google
search, you will find that I first came here as a new aircraft owner back in
'98 -- and we didn't buy the hotel until late '02.

Aviation, long an interest, didn't burst into full flame for me until I was
finally able to get my PPL in '95, after a lifetime spent gazing skyward.
Then, in '98, when we bought our first plane, it became a real passion.

After Mary got her PPL in '99, the "governor came off the engine," so to
speak, and there was just no stopping us from finding a way -- any way -- to
make a living doing this aviation thing we so loved.

In many ways the long-term denizens of this newsgroup are directly
responsible for Mary and me buying an old hotel, on an airport, in hopes of
converting in into a cool aviation destination. In fact, it is safe to say
that, were it not for the support, suggestions and excellent advice freely
given by so many here, it is unlikely that Mary and I would ever have had
the guts to drop literally everything in our lives in favor of pursuing this
crazy aviation dream.

So, after 22 years, the newspaper world went out the window for me, and
hospitals went out the window for Mary. Most people thought we were nuts.
Some days, we did, too.

Since then, we've made less money than we earned in our first years out of
college, over two decades ago -- but we're having the time of our lives.
We're working a zillion hours, pouring all the profits back into the
business, meeting pilots from all over the world, and simply having a ball.

We spend our free time giving tours of our museum/hotel, having cookouts
with visiting pilots, and going to aviation events of all kinds. Last week
we were in Reno. Today we spent the afternoon at a Cherokee Pilot's
Association fly-in, and the evening flying to pick up a new Wright
Brothers-themed stained glass window, custom made for our Wright Brothers
Suite.

We're living the dream -- and THAT, sir, is the bottom line reason why you
are so bitter.

I've met people like you throughout my career(s). You contribute nothing,
you accomplish nothing, and you try nothing. Instead of daring to live,
you're just waiting to die. You wallow in self-pity, revel in other's
failures, hide in your anonymous bunker, blame everyone, and toss grenades
over the wall at people who actually dare to live.

Well, sir, I've got some sound advice for a surly, useless person like you:
Suck it up, develop a spine, get a life, move on, do something to help
aviation, and live your own dream -- cuz we're loving ours, and we're not
going anywhere.

*** Now, back to your regularly scheduled program. Again, we apologize for
the interruption. ***
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 27th 04, 04:02 AM
Jay Honeck

Like high speed internet g.

I'm still absolutely shocked that this group suggested that :-)

What's funny is how far ahead of the curve this group (and, thus, our hotel)
was. Only now are other local hotels advertising "high speed internet" -- as
if it's some sort of revolutionary service.

Sadly, many of them are actually charging extra for this basic service.
(Hell, the Silver Legacy, where we stayed in Reno, had no wireless service,
and just TWO computers for a 700 room hotel -- and they charged five bucks
to check your email!)

Thanks to suggestions from folks on this group, we've had FREE, high speed
wireless for almost two years.

At first, no one cared. Now, EVERYONE loves it.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA