KIP burn salve (Sorta Kinda OT)

Old June 3rd 04, 05:05 PM
Jim Weir

Default KIP burn salve (Sorta Kinda OT)

Back when I was working for the airlines, we used a burn salve called KIP (Kip
Inc, North Hollywood CA) in both the airborne medicine chest and the hangar
toolboxes. It was distributed by an outfit called Swift Laboratories (also in
NH CA).

It is the greatest thing since sliced bread and bottled beer for the usual
slashes and gashes we get bending wrenches on airplanes, but I'm down to the
last couple of squeezes out of this 40 year old tube of goop I've had all those
years.

I can't google either Kip or Swift. Has anybody got a lead on where they have
gone or how I might score myself a couple of tubes of the stuff?

Jim
http://www.rst-engr.com
Old June 4th 04, 03:23 AM
Bob Olds

Jim Weir wrote in message . ..
Back when I was working for the airlines, we used a burn salve called KIP (Kip
Inc, North Hollywood CA) in both the airborne medicine chest and the hangar
toolboxes. It was distributed by an outfit called Swift Laboratories (also in
NH CA).

It is the greatest thing since sliced bread and bottled beer for the usual
slashes and gashes we get bending wrenches on airplanes, but I'm down to the
last couple of squeezes out of this 40 year old tube of goop I've had all those
years.

I can't google either Kip or Swift. Has anybody got a lead on where they have
gone or how I might score myself a couple of tubes of the stuff?

Jim
http://www.rst-engr.com

If anyone comes up with this,I need a couple also. Best thing of all
for my welding (Finger Burning) shop ,and mine ran out several years
ago.

Bob Olds RV-4 , N1191X
Charleston,Arkansas

Old June 4th 04, 04:38 AM
Henry Q. Bibb

In article , jim@rst-
engr.com says...
Back when I was working for the airlines, we used a burn salve called KIP (Kip
Inc, North Hollywood CA) in both the airborne medicine chest and the hangar
toolboxes. It was distributed by an outfit called Swift Laboratories (also in
NH CA).

I can't google either Kip or Swift. Has anybody got a lead on where they have
gone or how I might score myself a couple of tubes of the stuff?

Jim
http://www.rst-engr.com

Jim,

Maybe this is the Swift Laboratories?
http://www.swiftfirstaid.com/

I don't see a KIP salve listed, though.

Hope it helps,
Henry Bibb
Old June 4th 04, 04:45 PM
Paul Anton

I can't google either Kip or Swift. Has anybody got a lead on where they
have
gone or how I might score myself a couple of tubes of the stuff?

Wasn't there another name for it Silvadyne or something similar???

Cheers:

Paul

Old June 5th 04, 08:39 AM
Thomas O'Grady

In article ,
Jim Weir wrote:

Back when I was working for the airlines, we used a burn salve called KIP
(Kip
Inc, North Hollywood CA) in both the airborne medicine chest and the hangar
toolboxes. It was distributed by an outfit called Swift Laboratories (also
in
NH CA).

It is the greatest thing since sliced bread and bottled beer for the usual
slashes and gashes we get bending wrenches on airplanes, but I'm down to the
last couple of squeezes out of this 40 year old tube of goop I've had all
those
years.

I cannot say what you had, but Paul Anton suggested Silvadene and I
agree that this is absolutely the best stuff around for burns:

http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/r.../sil1404.shtml

It is a white cream, but it turns grey in the sun, due to the silver in
it.

Tom OGrady
Old June 6th 04, 07:05 AM
Dave S

Silvadene is used in the professional management of major burns. Its
primary effect is that of an antibacterial - the silver content inhibits
bacterial growth on the infection prone burn surface. In the uses I have
used it for (by the pint) it doesnt do a whole lot to sooth, or cool, or
relieve pain (which on 3rd degree's are painless) but it does a fair
enough job for trying to inhibit bacterial growth on eschar (3rd degree
burnt skin) and deep partial thickness wounds (2nd degree).

I must say I've never heard of Kips burn salve. It is before my time. Im
sure it works great, Jim and others, but a long time ago "salves" fell
out of disfavor for burn management and as a result the product in all
likelyhood simply ceased to exist.

Dave

Old June 6th 04, 02:49 PM
Snowbird

Dave S wrote in message link.net...
Silvadene is used in the professional management of major burns. Its
primary effect is that of an antibacterial - the silver content inhibits
bacterial growth on the infection prone burn surface. In the uses I have
used it for (by the pint) it doesnt do a whole lot to sooth, or cool, or
relieve pain (which on 3rd degree's are painless) but it does a fair
enough job for trying to inhibit bacterial growth on eschar (3rd degree
burnt skin) and deep partial thickness wounds (2nd degree).

I too have used Silvadene (as patient and as HCP) and perhaps it's just
me, but I'd kind of rather not see it go into general use for every cut
and scratch. I'm concerned that, as has happened to so many antibacterials
and antibiotics, if it's too common the bugs will develop resistance.

Fortunately, at least when I was using it, it was quite expensive.

I must say I've never heard of Kips burn salve. It is before my time. Im
sure it works great, Jim and others, but a long time ago "salves" fell
out of disfavor for burn management and as a result the product in all
likelyhood simply ceased to exist.

Dave, while "salves" fell out of favor for initial burn management
(I can remember my grandmother trying to put butter on my burn and
me fighting to numb it with cold water), "moist wound healing" is
to be the very latest thing for both burns and other cuts and scrapes,
after the initial treatment.

One method is to apply a hydrocolloid film, the other is to apply,
basically, a salve which will form an air-excluding film.

See for example
http://www.robinsoncare.com/MoistWoundHealing.htm

But of course, for that purpose, many salves will do including
generic antibiotic ointment, lansinoh, etc etc

Cheers,
Sydney
Old June 7th 04, 12:42 AM
Anthony

"Snowbird" wrote in message
om...

I recall an old farmer telling me that he used "Bag Balm" on small burns and
cuts. It's made for cows and sold at most feed stores. It sounds like what
was being described in the beginning of the thread.

Tony

Old June 7th 04, 02:29 AM
Dave S

Well.. I will readily admit that I am not a molecular biologist, but the
"antimicrobial" effect of Silvadene is not the same as that of your
garden variety antibiotic. The silver content is what causes the
antimicrobial effect. Just like the mercury and chrome content in
mercurochrome of days gone by. I dont expect bugs to be able to develop
resistance to this, because the metals are universally toxic. Same
reason that throwing pennies in a wishing well inhibits microbial and
algae growth.

SSD (silvadene) is also if I remember, a prescription formulation and
somewhat pricey, so I dont see it proliferating that much.

I agree that antibiotics are overused at every level, much of it a
result of consumer demands, especially at the primary care level. This
is why we are having drug resistant staph outbreaks in the community
now. Likewise, the drug companies are already advertising in BOLD print
in healthcare journals to use their new, great superdrug and in "small"
print to be caresul not to overuse it because of resistance concerns. We
are doing it to ourselves.

Ok.. sorry about the OT rant.
Dave