Which Ultralight to build.....

Old June 21st 07, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Which Ultralight to build.....

On Jun 3, 3:44 pm, "WC" wrote:
OK, was planning on building a Texas Parasol (as you've probably seen from
my previous posts) but it's looking like it may not be a very good design
for a legal 103. That being the case, what design to build. I spent a good
part of my life as a mechanic, can weld steel and aluminum (stick, mig,
tig), have access to a machine shop. Below is my wish list.

Legal FAR Part 103 (not going to quibble a few pounds but would like it
close)

Built from plans rather then kit

Short takeoff and landing (under 300 feet)

Prefer a high wing

Ability to trailer (wings remove easily)

Prefer tractors to pushers

Big wheels a plus (for field operations)

I tend to prefer "conventional" looking designs like the N-3 Pup or a J-3
kitten but I can't see how it can be kept near 254 without striping it naked
so I'm starting to think a more form follows function design (keep it simple
and to the point and invest the weight where it is useful rather then on
ascetics). With that in mind I'm looking at designs like the Dream Classic
or the Weedhopper 40 although both of these are kit. How about the Legal
Eagle? One other design I was looking at was the Aero Adventure Aventura UL
(even though its out of my price range). Do you get to take the float
allowance flying boat?

Looking forward to your advice;

WayneC

I was looking at the Affordaplane and if you have a close supplier of
aluminum tubing it can be built really cheap and its FAR 103 legal.

Old June 21st 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
original via AviationKB.com

I purchased a set of plans for the affordaplane a couple years back. There
were several on a builders group that complained that it was underpowered as
an ultralight and did not have good performance. I know I mentioned the
biplane before....it takes about 20 minutes to install the wings witch do
fold down for transport.

http://www.ultralightnews.ca/airvent...ultralight.htm

Old June 21st 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself

Richard Riley wrote:

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 19:20:00 GMT, cavelamb himself
wrote:

Richard Riley wrote:

Hey Richard,

Don't tease like that!

Whatcha got?

Richard

Soon as it goes around the pattern, there'll be a full web page, but
there's a picture on page 5 here

http://www.eaach1.org/wingnuts/2007April.pdf

Designed by Barnaby! Cool.

From that little picture it looks to have a single surface wing,
but the planform??? Or is that just ailerons?

Richard

Richard is that earthlink address in your return header good?

Uhh, yes, looks like it.
It's not mangles, if that's what you mean.
I have earthlink's full shields up for spam and virus protection
so I don't really need to hide the address.

Why? Did you have a problem with an email?

Richard (the other one)
Old June 22nd 07, 06:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself

wrote:

Richard Riley wrote:

Hey Richard,

Don't tease like that!

Whatcha got?

Richard

Soon as it goes around the pattern, there'll be a full web page, but
there's a picture on page 5 here
http://www.eaach1.org/wingnuts/2007April.pdf

Designed by Barnaby! Cool.

From that little picture it looks to have a single surface wing,
but the planform??? Or is that just ailerons?

Richard

Richard is that earthlink address in your return header good?

Uhh, yes, looks like it.
It's not mangles, if that's what you mean.
I have earthlink's full shields up for spam and virus protection
so I don't really need to hide the address.

Why? Did you have a problem with an email?

Richard (the other one)

OH!

ultralight seaplane Friedrich Ostertag Piloting 13 September 16th 05 03:37 AM
Sparrowhawk Ultralight [email protected] Soaring 26 June 15th 05 07:22 PM
Ultralight? dlevy Owning 3 September 1st 04 04:27 PM
Ultralight costs Bob Martin Home Built 1 January 1st 04 09:34 PM
RV Quick Build build times... [email protected] Home Built 2 December 17th 03 03:29 AM