Garmin 430 and ILS

Old February 20th 05, 07:10 AM
Greg Esres

The airlines have been flying the RNAV overlays of the conventional
terminal routes on an ILS for over 20 years.

What the airlines do is irrelevant to General Aviation operations.
They're using different equipment and operating under different rules.

You don't need to be checking underlying nav facilities during such
an operation.

That's your opinion, for which you have been unable to offer
supporting evidence. The AIM says differently.

It sounds like your both anal retentive

You mean "you're". ;-) Is it anal retentive to want to follow the
law? Ok, guilty.

and spring-loaded to being unreasonably argumentative

I must admit that I find it annoying and insulting when someone tries
to pass off a series of irrelevancies and non sequiturs as an
explanation. I usually associate this with someone hiding a lack of
knowledge.

yet you are unwilling to do your own leg work to get to the folks in
the FAA who can answer your unnecessary question.

This is my own leg work. ;-) I have also exchanged emails with the
folks at Garmin, who were also unable to offer a coherent explanation
as to why I could use their equipment in this fashion.

Finding someone knowledgable at the FAA is a real chore. There also
I run into people who try to "explain" things to me, only to find out
they know less than I do on the subject.

Old February 20th 05, 07:11 AM
Greg Esres

Even though you seem to have all the terms down pat, you don't seem
to be able to explain how you would apply them to real-life scenarios.

How much clearer can I be when I say that I'm using a Garmin 430 as
the only navigation insturment turned on in the airplane.

(Teenagers are also very good at this.)

:-)

Old February 20th 05, 07:15 AM
Greg Esres

Maybe he's not talking about a Garmin unit.

He should be, since that what this thread is about.

If I am not mistaken, the KLN units use "APPR" mode as Garmin uses
"ACTV" when within two miles of the FAF, on the intermediate
segment.

Different animals. The KLN unit doesn't have the concept of "Activate
Approach."

When you load an approach on the KLN94, you then have to set the IAF
as the active waypoint. This is a separate operation.

When you load an approach on the 430, you are prompted "Activate
Approach?" If you choose it, then the IAF becomes the active
waypoint. Otherwise, the approach is simply "loaded" and you later
have to change your waypoint to the IAF, just like the KLN94.

Old February 20th 05, 10:01 AM

Greg Esres wrote:

The airlines have been flying the RNAV overlays of the conventional
terminal routes on an ILS for over 20 years.

What the airlines do is irrelevant to General Aviation operations.
They're using different equipment and operating under different rules.

The different equipment does pretty much the same thing as a Garmin
400/500 series, at least as to LNAV. And, the rules pertaining to air
carrier navigation in the national airspace system are the same rules you
use.

Or, if you think I am wrong, provide specifics.

Old February 20th 05, 10:19 AM

Greg Esres wrote:

If I am not mistaken, the KLN units use "APPR" mode as Garmin uses
"ACTV" when within two miles of the FAF, on the intermediate
segment.

Gee, my Garmin goes from TERM to APR when within two miles of the FAF.

Old February 21st 05, 01:55 AM
Greg Esres

And, the rules pertaining to air carrier navigation in the national
airspace system are the same rules you use. ...Or, if you think I am
wrong, provide specifics.

Fair question.

Hmmm...do takeoff minimums apply to me? Do they apply to airlines?

Can I shoot the approach anyway if the ATIS is reporting zero/zero
conditions? Can airlines?

Can I fly non-precision approaches using precision approach technique
(DA)? Can some approved operators?

Am I required to come up with a set of operating specifications that
govern my activities once they are approved by the FAA? Do airlines?

I have no specific information that relates to our current topic of
discussion, but there are clearly different sets of rules that apply
to Part 91 vs. 121 flyers.