OLC site not operating?

Old June 17th 05, 02:26 AM
Greg Arnold

Just hope that your flight of a lifetime does not end on a Monday
evening in a sparse section of Nevada where you can't get to an
internet connection before the next evening.

It'd be even worse if it ended on a Tuesday evening, wouldn't it?

If it is a Tuesday flight, don't you have until the next Tuesday to
submit the flight?

But,
we may be OK: according to their data, I submitted a flight claim on
June 8, 2005, at 5:30 UTC. That's Wednesday morning UTC, but Tuesday
evening on June 7 at 10:30 pm for Washington State, an hour and half
past midnight on the East Coast.

Was that a Monday flight or a Tuesday flight?

OLC seem very responsive to problems, so I'm guessing you could email
them about being denied a submission done before midnight at the landing
place, and get it corrected.

Old June 17th 05, 03:59 AM
Eric Greenwell

Greg Arnold wrote:

If it is a Tuesday flight, don't you have until the next Tuesday to
submit the flight?

After rereading the rules, I suspect you are right. But, we may still be
OK: according to their data, I submitted a flight claim on June 14,
2005, at 4:20 UTC (that's Monday, June 13, 2005, 9:20 pm for Washington
State). The flight claim was accepted, even though it was half hour past
midnight on the East Coast.

I have at least two other Monday submittals:

1) April 12 at 5:50 UTC (Monday, April 11, 10:50 pm local)
1) April 5 at 5:00 UTC (Monday, April 4, 10 pm local

Living close to a time zone, or in one of the areas that doesn't change
time during the year, might be different story.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old June 17th 05, 04:44 AM
Greg Arnold

Eric Greenwell wrote:
Greg Arnold wrote:

If it is a Tuesday flight, don't you have until the next Tuesday to
submit the flight?

After rereading the rules, I suspect you are right. But, we may still be
OK: according to their data, I submitted a flight claim on June 14,
2005, at 4:20 UTC (that's Monday, June 13, 2005, 9:20 pm for Washington
State). The flight claim was accepted, even though it was half hour past
midnight on the East Coast.

I have at least two other Monday submittals:

1) April 12 at 5:50 UTC (Monday, April 11, 10:50 pm local)
1) April 5 at 5:00 UTC (Monday, April 4, 10 pm local

Living close to a time zone, or in one of the areas that doesn't change
time during the year, might be different story.

Maybe I don't understand, but didn't you submit these flights before
midnight EST on a Tuesday, which is when I think the cutoff is? The
test would be whether a flight (made on Monday or earlier) is accepted
or rejected if submitted after 8 pm PDT on Tuesday. As noted
previously, I know someone (actually, two people) who had flights
rejected in this situation.

Old June 17th 05, 06:45 AM
Eric Greenwell

Greg Arnold wrote:

Maybe I don't understand, but didn't you submit these flights before
midnight EST on a Tuesday, which is when I think the cutoff is? The
test would be whether a flight (made on Monday or earlier) is accepted
or rejected if submitted after 8 pm PDT on Tuesday. As noted
previously, I know someone (actually, two people) who had flights
rejected in this situation.

I think you're right - as far as I know, I haven't submitted a flight in
that sequence. Did they contact OLC about allowing the submittals, since
they were submitted within the time allowed by the rules?

That won't help in the situation you described (landing in the middle of
nowhere on Monday, so you don't get to an internet connection until too
late Tuesday). I asked about that situation in an email to them earlier
this year. Summarizing their answer: "We want to ensure the weekend
flights, when most flying is done, are posted promptly, to keep the
contest as 'real time' as possible". It's an unlikely situation (not
getting to internet in time), I think, but I'd still like to see some
tolerance for flights that land a long way from the takeoff point.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old June 17th 05, 07:37 AM
Greg Arnold

Eric Greenwell wrote:
Greg Arnold wrote:

Maybe I don't understand, but didn't you submit these flights before
midnight EST on a Tuesday, which is when I think the cutoff is? The
test would be whether a flight (made on Monday or earlier) is accepted
or rejected if submitted after 8 pm PDT on Tuesday. As noted
previously, I know someone (actually, two people) who had flights
rejected in this situation.

I think you're right - as far as I know, I haven't submitted a flight in
that sequence. Did they contact OLC about allowing the submittals, since
they were submitted within the time allowed by the rules?

They didn't contact OLC. I suspect that the rejections were in
accordance with the rules as understood by the people at the OLC, but
the website just doesn't clearly state what the OLC people understand
the rules to be.

That won't help in the situation you described (landing in the middle of
nowhere on Monday, so you don't get to an internet connection until too
late Tuesday). I asked about that situation in an email to them earlier
this year. Summarizing their answer: "We want to ensure the weekend
flights, when most flying is done, are posted promptly, to keep the
contest as 'real time' as possible". It's an unlikely situation (not
getting to internet in time), I think, but I'd still like to see some
tolerance for flights that land a long way from the takeoff point.

Or just require submission of flights within, say, 3 days of the flight.
That would delay the submission of a Sunday flight by only a day (Wed
evening rather than Tuesday evening as now required), but should give
adequate time to submit even flights that land in desolate areas.