updating AirChart IFR charts - PITA for everyone?

Old February 14th 05, 04:25 AM

Default updating AirChart IFR charts - PITA for everyone?

I signed up for the IFR chart program from AirCharts, but didn't have
an IFR rating. Now as I'm starting training, I'm trying to do the
updates.

These are amazingly messy/difficult to deal with. HOw many others on
here have the IFR system and are able to do the updates?

I keep seing these "new pointname at 19D" which, I'm assuming, means
19DME, new point. How do you mark these on the chart? That area
already has other "clutter" on it in the form of info balloons and
such.

Thanks
Mark

Old February 14th 05, 07:28 AM
G. Sylvester

HOw many others on
here have the IFR system and are able to do the updates?

I keep my Jepp book up to date religiously. I reserve 4 hours
every Sunday from 7am until approximatey 11am which happens to be
the time I take my prozac, lithium and methamphetamines (prescription
of course) to keep my Jepp book up to date. I find this method very
easy to do.

big grin

Gerald
Old February 14th 05, 07:51 AM

They list all changes by V#. I may just not update until I have
something flying along that airway. otherwise my maps will get way too
cluttered..

Old February 14th 05, 06:46 PM
Mark

if I had the $700+ per year and a computer in my plane, I'd consider it.

Old February 14th 05, 07:20 PM
Mitty

Where it's important, you might want to consider just downloading a new plate.
Airchart Systems has them, but you're probably better off going right to the
source. http://naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tpp

I, too, just signed with AirChart systems but will be using their system as
backup to plates that I print from SmartPlates. http://www.seattleavionics.com/

i.e., what I think I will need, I will print with SmartPlates and have on my
kneeboard. I will then have the Airchart books and updates for unexpected
situations.

The advantage of SmartPlates is that you can print predefined batches of
always-current plates all at once, two-up on a sheet. Fold each sheet in half,
Jepp punch it or NACO punch it, and you're ready to go. Very slick system.

It will be interesting to see how this scheme works out.

Old February 14th 05, 09:22 PM
Mark

I'm actually not using them for the plate service. I just buy NOS
books. I'm using them for the low-altitude enroutes and sectional
service.

Old February 14th 05, 10:08 PM

Mark wrote:

if I had the $700+ per year and a computer in my plane, I'd consider it.

I pay just over $300 per year for all the Western U.S. $700 per year sounds
like the entire U.S. Do you have a jet?

Old February 14th 05, 10:38 PM
Mitty

OK. I'm doing just the reverse. NOS chart subscriptions and Air
Chart/SmartPlates for the plates.

Old February 14th 05, 11:49 PM
vincent p. norris

These are amazingly messy/difficult to deal with.

NO, they are amazingly simple!

YOU DON'T HAVE TO update them all! You "update" only the one or two
you're going to need on tomorrow's flight. Ignore the rest.

The odds are, you won't even have to update them, because there won't
have been any changes.

Every "update" you receive includes all the previous updates since
last May, so you won't miss anything by not updating the ones you
don't need.

I buy government enroute charts and approach plates every May, and
subscribe to Air Chart updates. On the majority of flights I make
during the following year, I do not need to make any changes at all.

Compared the time wasted changing Jepp pages yoyu'll never need to
use, this is the simplest imagineable system. Not to mention
money-saving.

vince norris