Inexpensive Crew GPS

Old June 14th 05, 05:11 PM
Bill Hoadley

Default Inexpensive Crew GPS

Hello,
I am interested in purchasing an inexpensive handheld GPS for crew use
during retrieves. Any suggestions on units that are easy to use for a
first time user (simple for the crew), and easily accept Lat/Longs to
find a glider out in the boondocks would be appreciated. Sources for
discounted or used units would be nice also. Thanks,
BH

Old June 14th 05, 10:42 PM
Vaughn

Particularly if your ground crew are non-aviation types, you probably want
the minimum unit that features a base map in memory. A basic gps will point the
way to your landout site, but not give any information about what road to take
to get there. The Garmin eTrex Legend is a good example with a street price
just under $300.00.

Vaughn

ups.com...

Old June 15th 05, 12:23 AM
JC

On 14 Jun 2005 09:11:31 -0700, "Bill Hoadley" wrote:

Hello,
I am interested in purchasing an inexpensive handheld GPS for crew use
during retrieves. Any suggestions on units that are easy to use for a
first time user (simple for the crew), and easily accept Lat/Longs to
find a glider out in the boondocks would be appreciated. Sources for
discounted or used units would be nice also. Thanks,
BH

The Garmin 90 makes a good crew GPS. This is an older aviation unit.
I think they came out in 1995. They are no longer supported with
database updates but an older database would be most adequate for a
crew. I see one recently sold on ebay for $81.00.
Old June 15th 05, 01:54 AM
ContestID67

Some thoughts.

1) You want a terrestrial not aviation map as your crew is driving to
find you, not flying.

2) What I have is the most inexpensive GPS I could find. I think it
was a Gecko from Target. All it can do is point you the way to a
LAT/LONG and leave a breadcrumb trail.

However it is not particularly simple to input LAT/LONG and a base map
would be useful. Therefore I might lean towards a used unit with
better features.

3) I believe that Garmin has the best devices.

Old June 15th 05, 01:56 AM
BlueGliderGuy

BIll,
An aviation unit I don't believe is appropriate. Set up a PDA using
Mapopolis software. This is GREAT software with great maps and turn by
turn routing. Just the thing needed for a retrieve. mapopolis.com

Old June 15th 05, 02:55 AM
John Scott

I happen to have a spare iPAQ, older model, that I setu p for just this
purpose with an inexpensive Compact Flash GPS unit. After some looking for
software I selected iGuidance from iNAV. They only sell softwar. They will
work with generic CF GPS units as well as serial interface unit, like a
simple Garmin. They offer 3-d perspective so the display looks like you are
driving down the road (most of the current version s/w packages do this).
If the unit is on and looked in, you simply select "Input a destination",
specify you want to input Lat/Long, it thinks for a minute of 2 and plots
out the map from where you are to there. Pretty simple, very
straightforward. One feature they didn't advertise that I have found nice,
if you miss a turn or head off in the wrong direction, it will recalc the
route to get you back on track. If there isn't an alternate route, it will
holler for you to turn around and go back.

I got a RAM cradle and ball mounts from Cumulus Soaring and have it mounted
on my Dash so I can see the screen with only a breif side glance from the
road.

I haven't had to use it for a retrieve yet, but I think I'm all set. I
really set this up so my wife can find me. That will be the test of how
"simply and straight forward" it really is.

John Scott

Old June 15th 05, 04:32 AM
COLIN LAMB

A couple of years ago, our Search and Rescue organization tested a number of
GPS units, to find some that were cheap, easy to use and had some mapping
ability. We settled on the Magellan SportTrak Map. These were discounted
at $150.

They had minimum memory and a base map of the United States that includes
major highways. After we bought it, I found that Magellan sells a map of
the US. Unlike other mapping programs, the entire US fits on one CD rom.
The data is compact. With the minimum memory in the GPS, we could pick out
a portion of the state and download it to the GPS. It ended up being the
least expensive map available in the GPS, and was very easy to use.

At that time, an equivalent Garmin product was not available for the same
price. However, I have a Garmin and I like it.

Our organization had some non (Garmin and Magellan) GPS units and had
problems. Support was poor on that other brand.

If you buy a used unit, note that the newer units use 2 penlights rather
than the 4 required by older units. Once you enter the long and lat, you
can just point the car, but some GPS units are harder to use. Newer ones
are more user friendly.

I have a color unit and rarely use it. Black and white is fine in a
handheld.

For search work, I tried a laptop and external GPS unit and was
disappointed. The handheld works fine. I did not like any of the mounts
and made my own - having the GPS unit locked down on the dash makes it much
easier to use.

A GPS is wonderful.

Colin

Old June 17th 05, 12:13 AM
Cliff Hilty

Garmin V with full access/unlock street atlas. $235
us from office depot. excellent with 19mb memory in
the Gps which will give you 3 or 4 states detail maps
if you don't put in the metro areas and 1 or 2 if you
do. The only draw back has been to put in the Lat long
you have to create a point on the map and then edit
it. Just a extra step. It has cradle and mounts and
power adaptor. I used it the past couple of weeks with
three landouts on the way XC. all one way trips and
landing at some remote areas and abandoned strips!
All in all a good product with a great price! Still
need a atlas as sometimes it likes to take you on dirt
roads, sometimes when not nesscessary!

Old June 17th 05, 08:22 AM
309

Oh lord, I can see the statistics coming.

In 2010, the most frequently heard phrase on the CVR (Crew Vehicle
Recorder):

"What it it doing now???"

Those that know what FMS (or its predecessor "PMS") will understand
what automation is doing to common sense...first mocking it, then
obliterating it from the gene pool.

WinPilot 1.0 was only the beginning...