Frequency of convictions for lying on FAA medical form

Old January 23rd 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Default Frequency of convictions for lying on FAA medical form

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
.. .
Bill Denton wrote:
Since you brought up anti-depressants...

Am I the only one here who finds it ironic that you can't get a medical
if
you have your depression treated and control it with medication, but
someone
running around with an untreated problem can?

Exactly. I'd prefer to fly with a pilot who
is taking Prozac than one who should be taking
it and isn't.

So, like, no one here actually knows the answer to the original question -
or did I miss it somewhere?

But, now that we have wandered off into never-never land, ADD is another
example - you can get a ticket and all the medicals you want as long as it's
undiagnosed and untreated.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old January 23rd 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike 'Flyin'8'

No question about that. Now can somebody who's recently gone for a flight
physical tell me: do they ask for any changes since the last flight physical or
are you expected to regurgitate your entire history every time you go in. Mine
is quite extensive and I'm not sure I can remember all of it at this point.
I've had numerous I&Ds, skin grafts, orthopedic procedures and redoes in the
past. Please tell me I'm not going to have to tell them all that crap all over
again. OTOH, just asking for changes in the last couple of years is fair
enough... especially since there's been none.

I recently went and had to reenter all the info from the last medical.
Good thing I brought the copy of the prior application for reference.
One bit of good info is that you ALSO mark a box that says previously
reported. As such, no other questions were asked about those items.

I did notice it was diffictult to remember all the visits ... when/why
etc. In preperation for the NEXT medical, I will be keeping a folder
where I can enter all that info for next time... Kinda like a flight
log for my Dr visits I guss.

Mike Alexander
PP-ASEL
Temecula, CA
See my online aerial photo album at
http://flying.4alexanders.com
Old January 23rd 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Fry

"JM" == Jim Macklin writes:
JM But use
JM common sense, safety is the goal, do what is safe and in the
JM spirit of the rules and you'll probably be OK with the law.

Uh, no. Try inadvertently busting a popup VIP TFR--zero flight safety
issues--and you'll see what I mean.
--
"If you go flying back through time, and you see somebody else flying
forward into the future, it's probably best to avoid eye contact.
Old January 23rd 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

Jim Stewart wrote:
Bill Denton wrote:
Since you brought up anti-depressants...

Am I the only one here who finds it ironic that you can't get a medical if
you have your depression treated and control it with medication, but someone
running around with an untreated problem can?

Exactly. I'd prefer to fly with a pilot who
is taking Prozac than one who should be taking
it and isn't.

There is a counter argument...

Somebody who is chronically depressed and unmedicated is firstly
perhaps unlikely to be flying anyway becuase they simply don't want to.
A depressed pilot is probably less depressed when flying.
Medications for the treatment of depression can have undesirable
psychological effects for pilots. Two people died here locally in
exactly this way, pilot was on some anti-depressant, which had known
sideeffect of feelings of invincibility (of course this isn't the
technical description but you get the gist), pilot didn't tell anybody
nor disqualify himself, took one too many risks because he felt like he
could get away with it, stall-spin-splat, pilot and passenger both bit
the big one.

Sometimes the treatment can cause more problems from a safety
standpoint than the disease.

Old January 23rd 07, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

C J Campbell wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 07:49:58 -0800, Sally Grozmano wrote
(in article ):

Hi,

I am familiar with the potential penalties for lying on the FAA medical,
but was curious if anyone had any stats on *actual* convictions that have
occured for this, and what the associated penalties were? It seems to be
"common knowledge" that many pilots do lie, but I never hear of actual
convictions.

I would expect convictions to be rare. It is difficult to prove, since your
medical records are confidential. Usually, if drugs such as anti-depressants
show up in your medical tests they just deny a medical certificate.

One problem is just remembering when you went to the doctor to see if that
mole had grown any three years ago. Filling out those medical forms implies
that you have either a perfect memory or that you keep far better medical
records than the average Joe.

I figured this one out!!! Just before my FAA medical I go to my Dr. and
ask for the "flow sheet" off the front of my chart. I don't fill in
anything on the medical and hand the sheet to the AME and ask him what I
should put down. They don't want to know about PAP smears, mamograms or
any of those "fun" things, but they do want, gee, I don't remember what
they wanted. The flow sheet really helped as I seemed to have forgotten
a number of things.

Margy

That said, you are playing with your own life and with the lives of others if
you are not medically fit to fly.

Old January 23rd 07, 07:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Dallas writes:

Aren't you a bit worried about Google Groups archiving this admission, with
what looks like your real name, well into the next century?

It doesn't contain an admission of anything.

Old January 23rd 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Dallas wrote:

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 13:02:20 -0500, Ron Natalie wrote:

How the hell is the insurance company going to get a look at my medical
application?

They wouldn't need to look at your medical, they just need to find things
in your medical records that are known disqualifications.

The questions I have a Can an insurance company even gain access to your
medical records?

If you read the fine print when you sign an insurance
application, I think you'll find that you've given
them the right.

And, can they deny coverage if the omission had nothing to do with the
accident?

This is a I-am-not-a-lawyer-and-this-is-not-legal-advice
question. Nonetheless, I think the answer is that they
*may* try, but probably not.

Old January 23rd 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Barney Rubble

If is "Common knowledge" that many pilots are pathological liars, why can't
you find the evidence? Maybe because you just made that line up.Why don't
you give the FAA a call in OKC, I'm sure they would love to chew the fat
with you....

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...
Sally Grozmano wrote:
Hi,

I am familiar with the potential penalties for lying on the FAA
medical, but was curious if anyone had any stats on *actual* convictions
that have occured for this, and what the associated penalties were? It
seems to be "common knowledge" that many pilots do lie, but I never hear
of actual convictions.

Don't know if there are many convictions. The FAA doesn't have to go to
that length, they can levy civil penalties and pull the pilot and medical
certificates without having to go through any criminal action.
This certainly happens, a number of unreported DUI's have ended up that
way I know.

The FAA did lodge criminal charges against the guys who were found to
have claimed to be disabled to the SSA and not injured to the FAA.

Old January 23rd 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans

"Barney Rubble" wrote

If is "Common knowledge" that many pilots are pathological liars, why
can't you find the evidence? Maybe because you just made that line up.Why
don't you give the FAA a call in OKC, I'm sure they would love to chew the
fat with you....

Careful how you attribute quotes. Your response makes it seem as though Ron
wrote the "common knowledge" line, but it was the originator of the thread
that said that.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 23rd 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mark Hansen

On 01/23/07 14:24, Morgans wrote:
"Barney Rubble" wrote

If is "Common knowledge" that many pilots are pathological liars, why
can't you find the evidence? Maybe because you just made that line up.Why
don't you give the FAA a call in OKC, I'm sure they would love to chew the
fat with you....

Careful how you attribute quotes. Your response makes it seem as though Ron
wrote the "common knowledge" line, but it was the originator of the thread
that said that.

I was able to easily tell that it was the OP and not Ron. FYI.

For example, in this response, you (Morgans) wrote the text with a single " ",
while Barney Rubble wrote the text with " ".