Health Regulations and the Sports License

Old September 19th 07, 08:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
mdginzo

Default Health Regulations and the Sports License

If you have a health condition that would normally bar you from being
cleared by an FAA doctor, but you do not mention it to the doctor, how
will he know? I know it is a Federal offense not to disclose - or I
am guessing it is, anyway. I am just wondering how the doc would ever
know if it isn't something obvious?

Second question: can I take flight classes as if shooting for a
regular pilot's license and then when I am done with the training just
apply fo the Sport's License? Does the one qualify me for the other?
What is going on is that there is a perfectly good flight school in my
area, but they do not train specifically for the Sport's Pilot
License. It would seem to me that I could go to school for a regular
pilot's license and then just qualify for the Sport's License with
that training plus a driver license and skip the medical exam. Right?
Or am I missing something?

Old September 19th 07, 08:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"mdginzo" wrote in message
ups.com...
If you have a health condition that would normally bar you from being
cleared by an FAA doctor, but you do not mention it to the doctor, how
will he know? I know it is a Federal offense not to disclose - or I
am guessing it is, anyway. I am just wondering how the doc would ever
know if it isn't something obvious?

That is up to you and your own ethics to decide.

Second question: can I take flight classes as if shooting for a
regular pilot's license and then when I am done with the training just
apply fo the Sport's License? Does the one qualify me for the other?

In order to solo, for your full private pilot ticket, you will already have
to get your medical passed. If you get that, then there is nothing to stop
you from getting the full ticket.

What is going on is that there is a perfectly good flight school in my
area, but they do not train specifically for the Sport's Pilot
License. It would seem to me that I could go to school for a regular
pilot's license and then just qualify for the Sport's License with
that training plus a driver license and skip the medical exam. Right?

Nope, as stated above by me.

You would have to be instructed on the sport pilot path to avoid the
medical.

Another possible path is a school that teaches in motor gliders, and get a
glider ticket. They may be harder to find than LS schools, but you might
get lucky. You could go that way, with no medical. You would also be
limited to gliders, but they have no restrictions with weight, speed or
flying at night, to name a few of the unrestricted features vs. LSP.

You could take instruction on a non sport plane, but the plane you solo
with, and take your test in, will have to be a light sport plane to avoid
the FAA medical.

Go out and get a overweight 2 seat ultralight, used, that has been converted
to a light sport plane by the paperwork conversion, and get their
instructors to get up to speed with Light Sport Pilot instructing. They can
be had for a few thousand dollars, usually.

Afterwards, you can keep the plane, or sell it to someone else, like the
school, or someone else that needs to do like what you need. You might even
come out a few bucks ahead, if you play it right.

If anyone sees any error in what I have suggested, by all means, please
point it out. This is the way it is, as I understand it.
--
Jim in NC

Old September 19th 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
LJ Blodgett

The CFI's are missing the boat.Go to your local faa(with a signoff)for a
student licence.Train in any plane,and know what sport pilot reg's are
and teach it to your CFI.He can sign for solo & etc.,under the spot
rules. If Im wrong,ForgetIt. LJ from riches to rags.

mdginzo wrote:
If you have a health condition that would normally bar you from being
cleared by an FAA doctor, but you do not mention it to the doctor, how
will he know? I know it is a Federal offense not to disclose - or I
am guessing it is, anyway. I am just wondering how the doc would everThe

Old September 19th 07, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Sep 19, 11:05 am, LJ Blodgett wrote:
The CFI's are missing the boat.Go to your local faa(with a signoff)for a
student licence.Train in any plane,and know what sport pilot reg's are
and teach it to your CFI.He can sign for solo & etc.,under the spot
rules. If Im wrong,ForgetIt. LJ from riches to rags.

I'm not following you. In order to solo as a student pilot you have to
have a 3rd class medical unless you are a sport pilot applicant.
Usually the only time you send students to the FSDO to get a student
pilot certificate are
1) If they are already rated in another type of aircraft (Helo for
instance) and carry a "regular" FAA medical or
2) They are under 40 and their medical is still valid but their studen
tpilot certificate is expired.

-Robert, CFII

Old September 19th 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
LJ Blodgett

Robert M. Gary wrote:
Robert,Hi YOU are right,The FSDO wants to see a drivers license,plus
a form(taken off the internet)filled in and signed by a CFI.No air
med.P.S. Unless s/he has been refused already. LJ

Old September 19th 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

mdginzo wrote:
If you have a health condition that would normally bar you from being
cleared by an FAA doctor, but you do not mention it to the doctor, how
will he know?

He might discover it in the course of your medical examination.

I know it is a Federal offense not to disclose - or I
am guessing it is, anyway. I am just wondering how the doc would ever
know if it isn't something obvious?

It is a federal offense to falsify the application. If it isn't something
obvious, the doc may never know. The thing you'd need to worry about is
what happens if the FAA finds out. While they don't have access to your
private medical records, if any other government entity happens to have a
record of the condition, it's possible that they could share that information
with the FAA. A prime example of this was the FAA cross-checking the pilot
medical data with Social Security's disability database. That happened a
year or two ago.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old September 19th 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...

Usually the only time you send students to the FSDO to get a student
pilot certificate are
1) If they are already rated in another type of aircraft (Helo for
instance) and carry a "regular" FAA medical or

Correct me if somethng has recently changed, but in that situation you don't
need a student's license because you already hold a valid FAA license. You just
need a proper instructor's signoff to solo. I went through this process just a
few years ago when I converted from gliders to airplanes. Likewise, I signed
off several rated airplane pilots to solo gliders when I was instructing in
gliders.

Vaughn (CFIG)

Old September 19th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"LJ Blodgett" wrote in message
. ..
YOU are right,The FSDO wants to see a drivers license,plus
a form(taken off the internet)filled in and signed by a CFI.

You may not actually need a FSDO. I got my first student license from a
designee. Since I was a glider student, no medical was necessary.

Vaughn

Old September 19th 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Sep 19, 2:22 pm, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in oglegroups.com...

Usually the only time you send students to the FSDO to get a student
pilot certificate are
1) If they are already rated in another type of aircraft (Helo for
instance) and carry a "regular" FAA medical or

Correct me if somethng has recently changed, but in that situation you don't
need a student's license because you already hold a valid FAA license. You just
need a proper instructor's signoff to solo. I went through this process just a
few years ago when I converted from gliders to airplanes. Likewise, I signed
off several rated airplane pilots to solo gliders when I was instructing in
gliders.

Nope, if you want to solo an airplane I need to sign a student pilot
certificate in addition to the solo endorsement. Student pilots are
required to carry both in airplanes. I'm not sure what the rules are
for gliders.

-Robert, CFII