Light single into KBOS, KPVD, or KIAD?

Old March 28th 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
xyzzy

Default Light single into KBOS, KPVD, or KIAD?

On Mar 27, 1:51 pm, "xyzzy" wrote:
Looks like this Friday I may be picking up a family member on the way
to KHYA. I'll be leaving from KTTA in NC and we're trying to decide
which airport would be better to pick up a pax at in a C172. The
choices are KBOS, KPVD, or KIAD (she's in Syracuse and will have to
fly commercial to one of those airports). Airnav shows high landing/
ramp fees and expensive FBO's at all of them. KBOS looks like the
worst. Anyone have any experience or recommendations for either of
those airports? TIA.

Thank you everybody for the advice.

In answer to some questions:

1. Why not pick her up at SYR? If I owned a plane I would do that and
it would be a no brainer. That would probably be a better flight
because it would avoid going through NYC like going straight to HYA
would. But this is a club plane, and there are scheduling issues.
She needs to be in SYR at a specific time which would require me to
get the plane for a day earlier than I had originally scheduled, and
it is not available then. Feh. This is the time for all the owners to
smile and say that the extra expense is worth it . In nearly four
years of being a club pilot this is the only time it's really bitten
me hard.

2. Why not BWI or PHL? simply because those didn't come up when she
was searching flights from SYR. We did go look again for those
cities.

The final conclusion was that commercial flights for her to meet me
are just prohibitively expensive because we're looking at buying
tickets a day or two in advance with no Saturday stayover, and
Southwest does not serve SYR. There is a funeral involved, which is
why it wasn't planned farther in advance. So there will be no pickup
at commercial airports.

Old March 28th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

But this is a club plane, and there are scheduling issues.

IS there an FBO around where you could rent a plane? It's a shame to
rent when you have a club plane, but if it's not available...

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old March 28th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Butler

xyzzy wrote:

There is a funeral involved,

Hope you checked the airlines for "bereavement fares".

DB
Old March 28th 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
xyzzy

On Mar 28, 10:29 am, Dave Butler wrote:
xyzzy wrote:
There is a funeral involved,

Hope you checked the airlines for "bereavement fares".

yeah, gets it down from like $1600 to $1500. They aren't as generous
as they used to be.

Old March 28th 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
xyzzy

On Mar 28, 10:29 am, Jose wrote:
But this is a club plane, and there are scheduling issues.

IS there an FBO around where you could rent a plane? It's a shame to
rent when you have a club plane, but if it's not available...

Not without doing a full checkout, which there isn't time for because
the departure time is either tomorrow or Friday

Old March 28th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

Not without doing a full checkout, which there isn't time for because
the departure time is either tomorrow or Friday

That is tight, but I've never had a checkout take more than two hours,
and I could take the plane that day.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.

Old March 28th 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Barry

Another option that hasn't been mentioned is PHL. There are inexpensive
flights from SYR to PHL, if your pax insists on flying commercial part way.
PHL is busy but not GA unfriendly. DB

The last time I flew into PHL I had to pay a $20 landing fee plus $20 ramp
fee. They would have waived the ramp fee had I bought fuel at a very high
price.

Old March 29th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Butler

Barry wrote:
Another option that hasn't been mentioned is PHL. There are inexpensive
flights from SYR to PHL, if your pax insists on flying commercial part way.
PHL is busy but not GA unfriendly. DB

The last time I flew into PHL I had to pay a $20 landing fee plus $20 ramp
fee. They would have waived the ramp fee had I bought fuel at a very high
price.

Come to think of it, I was on Angel Flight missions both times when I've
been there, so they prolly waived the fees for Angel Flight. DB
Old March 30th 07, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
andrew m. boardman

Dave Butler wrote about PHL:
Come to think of it, I was on Angel Flight missions both times when I've
been there, so they prolly waived the fees for Angel Flight. DB

It's still a decent place. You pretty much invariably get 8/26 and 35/17
for a short uncomplicated taxi to/from Atlantic. Parking fees are a bit
weird and variable but often waived for short stays and fuel purchases,
and there is (was?) a weekend discount for fuel. (And "fill it up
tomorrow morning so I get a discount" worked fine.) Even getting in and
out when they're busy isn't hard due to the runway layout, though
Clearance Delivery can be a zoo.

With regard to the original question, despite that I live near Boston I'd
go *anywhere* before BOS, even JFK. OK, so JFK is actually pretty nice
and amazingly reasonably priced, but BOS is a pit. And an expensive pit.

Light single into KBOS, KPVD, or KIAD? xyzzy Piloting 22 April 6th 07 01:42 AM
Runway 14/32 @ KBOS Jon Piloting 1 December 8th 06 05:11 AM
Light Single at McCarran Dan Piloting 10 November 18th 06 03:09 AM
Fees at Dulles (KIAD)? Jack McAdams Piloting 7 December 30th 03 08:53 PM
WANTED: partnership, rental or club with fast single or light twin in San Diego Jim McGarvie Aviation Marketplace 0 September 13th 03 03:55 PM