SH-2F Seasprite from HSL-31 winches up its sonar

Old March 2nd 07, 06:13 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton

Default SH-2F Seasprite from HSL-31 winches up its sonar

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SH-2F Seasprite from HSL-31 winches up its sonar.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	7608
Old March 2nd 07, 06:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton

A couple of notes from Gordon,

The SH-2F isn't winching in sonar, he's shooting a roto-chute'd SSQ-41
sonobuoy. Sorta looks like they are bringing up the MAD bird, but its on
the wrong side of the fuselage. Trust me, its an outbound buoy.

BTW, that H-2 is my old nemesis, Copyright Zero Five! I've got about 25
hours in that complete piece of ****. It crashed twice before finally
getting sent to the boneyard.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old March 2nd 07, 02:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave[_11_]

Looks more like it is dropping/has dropped a sonobouy.
Regards, Dave
Old March 3rd 07, 01:58 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Scubabix

Dave Kearton wrote:
A couple of notes from Gordon,

The SH-2F isn't winching in sonar, he's shooting a roto-chute'd SSQ-41
sonobuoy. Sorta looks like they are bringing up the MAD bird, but its on
the wrong side of the fuselage. Trust me, its an outbound buoy.

BTW, that H-2 is my old nemesis, Copyright Zero Five! I've got about 25
hours in that complete piece of ****. It crashed twice before finally
getting sent to the boneyard.

Hey Dave, I've got a few hours logged in TD 05 myself in 1977. Damn,
has it really been 30 years? I must be getting old. I don't remember
this specific aircraft being any different from all of the H-2's I have
time in but I loved the Seasprite. It was a great flying helicopter and
when used "within the limits" of the extremely outdated systems, it was
capable of a wide variety of missions. I really miss the good times I
had flying in the Kaman Coffin.
Rob
Old March 3rd 07, 02:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

Hey Dave

when did you do 31.

I did it in 75 before establishing 37 at Barbers.

Ralph Deyo

Old March 3rd 07, 02:22 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Jim Morris[_2_]

wrote in message
Hey Dave

when did you do 31.

I did it in 75 before establishing 37 at Barbers.

Ralph Deyo

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 17:27:32 +1030, "Dave Kearton"
wrote:

Ralph, Dave lives in OZ and has never been a US citizen nor a sailor.
Rob and Gordon were both AW's on the 'Sprite.
I was SAR in HC-5 for a year or so. Made a deployment on Knox Class with
HC-5 and when we returned we were part of HSL-33.
I went back to HC-5/HSL-31 for another year then VP-31 came calling again.
'74-'78 or so.

Jim Morris

Old March 3rd 07, 04:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

G'day to you too Mate.

I think I got that correct.

I see your Navy is now in my sports car. The Sh60B. As much as I
like hydraulic fluid in the face from the ACE, and a constant 4per,
losing 30 minutes of flight time for a torp, the 60 is a real beauty.
I got to fly in her from May of 1980 until I retired in November of
1985.

Air conditioned smooth at 135 kts and an easy helo to like. Now days
they have added so much to her I am not sure I would want back in it.

Well tell the AOL challenged friend Hi for me and it is great to meet
you also.

Ralph

19On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 12:46:42 +1030, "Dave Kearton"

wrote:

A couple of notes from Gordon,

The SH-2F isn't winching in sonar, he's shooting a roto-chute'd
SSQ-41 sonobuoy. Sorta looks like they are bringing up the MAD
bird, but its on the wrong side of the fuselage. Trust me, its an
outbound buoy.

BTW, that H-2 is my old nemesis, Copyright Zero Five! I've got
about 25 hours in that complete piece of ****. It crashed twice
before finally getting sent to the boneyard.

G'day Ralph,

You have the wrong end of the stick there. I'm a balding,
middle-aged, ex M-113 driver from Australia.

A very close friend of mine is Gordon Permann in San Diego, who was in
(among other units) HSL-33 in the late '70s and early '80s. Being
AOL challenged, he can't make it to the binary groups like normal folk, so
I post his pictures and any comments that he has.

Good to meet you though.

Old March 3rd 07, 04:45 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

Hi Jim,

Thanks and just dropped him a line.

I to am an AW. Did a 4 year tour with Faso at IB teaching MK I with
Neal Brown and Stinky Smith. Got shanghaied into 37 in 75 and went to
Owego NY on independent duty for MK III. finished my career with 41
as the training department leading chief from 82 to 85. Found out in
75, that helos were better than P3's. Had two tours one in 45 out of
JAX and 17 out of Barbers Point.

If you went to Faso during that time you might have been a student of
mine. I had the acoustic portion and tactical portion of the course.

Take care and drop a line if you care to.

Ralph

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 20:22:02 -0600, "Jim Morris"
wrote:

.. .

Old March 3rd 07, 10:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob Harrington

New Zealand Seasprite Helicopters Glenn Alderton[_2_] Aviation Photos 10 February 2nd 07 01:06 AM
NZ Seasprite accident report - ground reasonance Errol Cavit Naval Aviation 1 February 25th 05 06:11 AM
Winches (was Aerotow with Diesel engine? [email protected] Soaring 20 October 30th 04 05:27 AM
Polaroid SX-70 Sonar Eelco Home Built 1 December 1st 03 10:13 PM
PING: Gordon - Cracks on the Kaman Seasprite Yeff Military Aviation 1 July 20th 03 05:57 PM