Are these Tomahawk Engines?

Old April 4th 04, 05:12 PM
Peter Strong

Default Are these Tomahawk Engines?

Finally back in a Liberal Democracy after an interesting trip through
the Middle East and Sudan with a few odd scraps of metal as souvenirs
- well, it was either that or a stuffed camel...

Are these what I think they are and if so are they really made of
titanium (in which case I get the last laugh)?

see picture at:
http://www.camelworld.com/images/PICT0031a.JPG

Peter
Old April 4th 04, 10:48 PM
Dweezil Dwarftosser

Peter Strong wrote:

Finally back in a Liberal Democracy after an interesting trip through
the Middle East and Sudan with a few odd scraps of metal as souvenirs
- well, it was either that or a stuffed camel...

Are these what I think they are and if so are they really made of
titanium (in which case I get the last laugh)?

see picture at:
http://www.camelworld.com/images/PICT0031a.JPG

Dunno about the big chunks, but that gear you're holding
came out of the differential (Chevy pick-up, 1954-60...)

;-)
Old April 4th 04, 11:11 PM
Smartace11

Peter Strong wrote:

Finally back in a Liberal Democracy after an interesting trip through
the Middle East and Sudan with a few odd scraps of metal as souvenirs
- well, it was either that or a stuffed camel...

Are these what I think they are and if so are they really made of
titanium (in which case I get the last laugh)?

see picture at:
http://www.camelworld.com/images/PICT0031a.JPG

Dunno about the big chunks, but that gear you're holding
came out of the differential (Chevy pick-up, 1954-60...)

;-)

That "gear" is a compressor rotor out of a cruise missile engine, quite
possibly a Tomahawk (Williams International F107 Turbofan). The other parts
are the engine cases and probably what is left of the turbine and the engine
accessories. The rotor is not Titanium. Most of the parts are a nickel steel
alloy.

Old April 5th 04, 01:19 AM
Scott Ferrin

On 04 Apr 2004 22:11:22 GMT, (Smartace11) wrote:

Peter Strong wrote:

Finally back in a Liberal Democracy after an interesting trip through
the Middle East and Sudan with a few odd scraps of metal as souvenirs
- well, it was either that or a stuffed camel...

Are these what I think they are and if so are they really made of
titanium (in which case I get the last laugh)?

see picture at:
http://www.camelworld.com/images/PICT0031a.JPG

Dunno about the big chunks, but that gear you're holding
came out of the differential (Chevy pick-up, 1954-60...)

;-)

That "gear" is a compressor rotor out of a cruise missile engine, quite
possibly a Tomahawk (Williams International F107 Turbofan). The other parts
are the engine cases and probably what is left of the turbine and the engine
accessories. The rotor is not Titanium. Most of the parts are a nickel steel
alloy.

How many munitions used over there have turbines? Tomahawk, SLAM,
Calcm. . . Any others?
Old April 5th 04, 07:51 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Scott Ferrin" wrote in message
On 04 Apr 2004 22:11:22 GMT, (Smartace11) wrote:

How many munitions used over there have turbines? Tomahawk, SLAM,
Calcm. . . Any others?

StormShadow

Keith

Old April 5th 04, 11:40 AM
Peter Kemp

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 07:51:34 +0100, "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

"Scott Ferrin" wrote in message
.. .
On 04 Apr 2004 22:11:22 GMT, (Smartace11) wrote:

How many munitions used over there have turbines? Tomahawk, SLAM,
Calcm. . . Any others?

StormShadow

TALD?
---
Peter Kemp

Life is short - drink faster
Old April 6th 04, 09:29 PM
Harry Andreas

In article ,
(Smartace11) wrote:

Peter Strong wrote:

Finally back in a Liberal Democracy after an interesting trip through
the Middle East and Sudan with a few odd scraps of metal as souvenirs
- well, it was either that or a stuffed camel...

Are these what I think they are and if so are they really made of
titanium (in which case I get the last laugh)?

see picture at:
http://www.camelworld.com/images/PICT0031a.JPG

Dunno about the big chunks, but that gear you're holding
came out of the differential (Chevy pick-up, 1954-60...)

;-)

That "gear" is a compressor rotor out of a cruise missile engine, quite
possibly a Tomahawk (Williams International F107 Turbofan). The other parts
are the engine cases and probably what is left of the turbine and the engine
accessories. The rotor is not Titanium. Most of the parts are a nickel steel
alloy.

The Allison 250 series have a compressor about the same size IIRC.
They are used extensively world-wide for helos.
It's been over 25 years though....

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur
Old April 7th 04, 09:39 AM
Peter Strong

(Harry Andreas) wrote in message ...
In article ,
(Smartace11) wrote:

Peter Strong wrote:

[...]

Thanks for all the info - these were at the Al Shifa pharmecutical
factory in Khartoum - Clinton hit it in 98 on suspicion that it was
producing WMDs - Osama was living just across town at that time. I
beleive they used Tomahawks, though I'm no missile expert. Now missile
SMUGGLER, maybe.... I wonder what my souvenir would fetch on Ebay....

Peter
Old April 8th 04, 12:26 AM
Thomas Schoene

wrote:

"Scott Ferrin" wrote in message
On 04 Apr 2004 22:11:22 GMT, (Smartace11) wrote:

How many munitions used over there have turbines? Tomahawk, SLAM,
Calcm. . . Any others?

StormShadow

TALD?

TALD is a glider. ITALD is a turbojet, wiht the same engine as Tacit
Rainbow, allegedly.

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapo...siles/itald/IT
ALD.html

"Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when
wrong to be put right." - Senator Carl Schurz, 1872

Old April 8th 04, 01:41 PM
Peter Kemp

wrote:

"Scott Ferrin" wrote in message
On 04 Apr 2004 22:11:22 GMT, (Smartace11) wrote:

How many munitions used over there have turbines? Tomahawk, SLAM,
Calcm. . . Any others?

StormShadow

TALD?

TALD is a glider. ITALD is a turbojet, wiht the same engine as Tacit
Rainbow, allegedly.

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapo...siles/itald/IT
ALD.html

Probably wasn't a TALD engine then :-) I had assumed TALD was powered,
same as the upcoming MALD - my bad, thanks for the correction.

---
Peter Kemp

Life is short - drink faster